Author Topic: Galactic Heroes Thread  (Read 351598 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Playskool Line: Do You Collect...Opinions?
« Reply #105 on: April 1, 2004, 12:31 PM »
I just jumped over to RS boards to check that out......excellent reply Morgbug.  That is my thoughts exactly on this issue.  I know that it won't change his mind, but that isn't the point of it anyways.  Everyone has a right to their opinion, and he shouldn't be so high and mighty because other people still enjoy collecting "toys".  I agree, if there is a kid looking at Playskool (or really other Star Wars toys for that matter), I'm not going to zip in front of him and take it.  These are for kids, and if I want these things bad enough, I'll get them through ebay or some avenue that might not be available to the wee ones.  I do enjoy the Playskool line, and although we don't have any children yet, I have bought the OT sets (for me for now, for kids in the future).  I bought all of them off of ebay I believe, where I doubt kids are shopping....with the exception of the Millennium Falcon set.  There were four of these sitting in a local "farm store" here in town (Bomgaars), and I let them sit for a couple of months before finally breaking down and buying one of them...in a bashed up box.  I just had to give you "props" on your reply, that was very well spoken and illustrated this side of it perfectly.

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 2, 2004, 10:45 AM »
Nice response Brent.  I still am amazed that someone has the balls to post on a Star Wars forum about the buying habits of others over certain Star Wars toys.  

....oh well, he did state it was all a "grown men" thing and left me out of the generalization.  I guess "grown women" can still do whatever the hell they want  :-*.

Beth

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #107 on: April 2, 2004, 10:54 AM »
Its really ludicrous to me to draw a line that Action Figures are OK but Playskool isn't...they are both toys "intended" for a younger audience

I don't thing the man once known as Jango Fettish had a problem scooping up pencils, notebooks and folders that were intended for elementary school children (but since he's sold all of that its OK for him to take this stance)

And Cory...if it weren't for the adult collector would these new 2 packs even be coming out?  I seriously doubt it...face it Star Wars is collectible more than any other movie franchise in history.  All things Star Wars sell even if they are absolute Crap, people still buy them.  I could sell a turd in a package if it had Star Wars on the outside.  The fact that a lot of 1st Generation OT people have or are just starting to have kids means this line has legs and I for one am glad that the Collectors have made these new two packs a reality, because if it weren't for them, there wouldn't even be new Playskool for the babies to even think of playing with

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #108 on: April 2, 2004, 03:43 PM »
Its really ludicrous to me to draw a line that Action Figures are OK but Playskool isn't...they are both toys "intended" for a younger audience

I don't thing the man once known as Jango Fettish had a problem scooping up pencils, notebooks and folders that were intended for elementary school children (but since he's sold all of that its OK for him to take this stance)

So, wait.  I haven't been keeping up with that thread, but Cory (aka Jango Fettish), the same dude who was excited to buy a freakin' Jango Fett LUNCH BOX is ripping people for buying the PlaySkool stuff?!?

LOL.

Too funny.  Apparently, it's all right to buy School supplies and lunch boxes away from the elementry school kids, but not the Pre-Schoolers as Scott posted above.

Some people are so full of themselves at times, it downright hilarious.

Jeff

« Last Edit: April 2, 2004, 05:23 PM by Nataku »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #109 on: April 2, 2004, 04:42 PM »
Yeah they are one in the same  ;)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #110 on: April 2, 2004, 05:20 PM »
And Cory...if it weren't for the adult collector would these new 2 packs even be coming out?  I seriously doubt it...face it Star Wars is collectible more than any other movie franchise in history.  All things Star Wars sell even if they are absolute Crap, people still buy them.  I could sell a turd in a package if it had Star Wars on the outside.  The fact that a lot of 1st Generation OT people have or are just starting to have kids means this line has legs and I for one am glad that the Collectors have made these new two packs a reality, because if it weren't for them, there wouldn't even be new Playskool for the babies to even think of playing with

That's exactly it.  No company in it's right mind makes toys based off 25yr old movies for toddlers alone.  Hasbro is BANKING on the fact that the OT generation will pick this up for their kids!  That's the whole point of the line!

It's so kids can play with Star Wars just like their Daddies (or Mommies for you ladies out there ;) )  

EVERY collector friend I know who has kids bought these for their kids, and almost every non-SW collecting friend I know who has kids did NOT buy these (nor did most even know they existed).  In those cases where a non-SW collecting friend with kids did happen to buy the figures for their kids, the kids hated them (or at least never really played with them).

That point just reinforces my belief that little kids without a Star Wars influence don't like OT SW toys (and realistically, why would they like toys from a 25yr old movie?).  Case in point, my nephews:

Neither my brother-in-law nor sister-in-law really like SW.  Sure, they've seen it a few times and can recognize most of the main Characters, but they don't like SW the way I do.  For Christmas 2002, I picked up some of the PlaySkool for my then 4 and 6 yrs old nephews.  The PlaySkool stuff pretty much went untouched while the Yu-Gi-YO stuff was a HUGE hit.

Meanwhile, the 4-yr old of a good friend who collects SW stuff goes NO WHERE without his PlaySkool Hoth Luke and Wampa.  He loves it because his dad loves it and he wants to be like his dad.

I find it hard to believe that ANY Pre-Schooler is sitting at home upset because all the adult collectors bought all the SW PlaySkool toys.  It doesn't work like that.  Chances are ANY 3-5yr old who could recognize ANY of the characters has a Mom/Dad who is into SW too.

That brings us back to the "adult" collectors buying up "baby toys".  

IMHO, so what if a few people with no kids pick up the PlaySkool line too?  I can't see how selling MORE product is bad for a toy line, especially in today's "Here with the summer movie, out by the fall" toy attitude.  

Realistically, without those collectors demanding for this line to return, I doubt it would have "for the sake of the kiddies".  That's why the Jurrasic Park PlaySkool line TANKED.  There was NO collector support.  The kids didn't want it, there was no parent support, so it died.

I guess my point is that to believe that "adult" collectors buying up SW PlaySkool items is somehow morally wrong or somehow depriving little kids is something I find silly.

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 2, 2004, 10:45 PM »
I have these and in part only bought them for my daughter.  I love the Star Wars franchise (which should generate a hefty well duh) and I try to get her to watch the movies with me.  She's ok for a bit, but gets bored pretty quick with them.  Perfectly reasonable response for a 3 (nearly 4) year old.  

They were a nice way to do two things: 1. get her to stop playing with my action figures - important due to cost and accessories that are too small for her at this age and 2. get her something she can do whatever she wants with, condition is irrelevant.  

Now, that she plays relatively little with them is pure bonus for me as they simply become dust collectors and she'll eventually give them to me and they'll happily go into my collection.

The line that needs to be drawn with respect to age suitability, as I tried to indicate at RS, is entirely subjective.  
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Galactic Heroes!
« Reply #112 on: April 27, 2004, 02:09 PM »
Hasbro has posted an update of the continuation of the Playskool/Galactic Heroes line.  You can check out the article here:

Galactic Heroes

It looks like Wave 1 is A New Hope (although Han has Bespin Jacket), Wave 2 is Attack of the Clones, and Wave 3 is the Bounty Hunter Wave!  They are also re-releasing the Falcon in new packaging.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2004, 02:13 PM by mosnab »

Offline Jedi Idej

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
Re: Playskool Line/Galactic Heroes Thread
« Reply #113 on: April 27, 2004, 02:40 PM »
Forgive me Lord for the hurt I will put on any pre-schooler who stands between me and these toys.  ;)

Amazing. My nephews' interest in Star Wars is marginal, but they are going to freak when they see these.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 27, 2004, 03:21 PM »

Might as well have all the pics here.  With all due respect to Cory, I am so in.  

Do Chewie and 3PO differ from the ones included in the Falcon set?

Like that Anakin has two light sabers.  Wonder if Padme will have nipples ::)  Nice Vader, but doesn't look any different from the already released version.  The bounty hunters are priceless.  

Here's an odd question: has Lego released all of the bounty hunters?  I know Boba is out and I remember seeing others in Scott's initial Kubrick review, but what were they and who is missing?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2004, 03:26 PM by Morgbug »

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 27, 2004, 03:36 PM »
Thanks for the rest of the pics Brent, I didn't have enough time to post them earlier, so just got around to the Bounty Hunters one.  I'm another collector "stealing" these away from children I guess, because I really want to add these to my collection (the OT ones at least, although the others are tempting too).  As far as the figures, I don't think the Chewie or Vader are any different than the previous ones, but I'm not sure.  The R2 has the third leg, and 3PO is posed a little differently (first one had both arms down).  I hope that these aren't impossible to find, I've always really liked this line....I guess it kind of reminds me of the vintage days growing up too, simpler figures, but still fun.  I have every intention of saving these for any kids we might have in the future though.  Oh, and if any of you are holding out on buying the Falcon, I'd highly suggest picking it up....a real neat set.

I'll be picking up each of the New Hope Series, as well as the Bounty Hunters set (which was a nice surprise).  The PT figures look neat too (especially would like to have a Yoda), but I was trying to limit myself...we'll see if they ever show up in stores.  I hope these 2 packs continue, and they are reasonably priced (has anyone heard how much?).

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #116 on: April 27, 2004, 09:25 PM »
EE has these up for preorder...Sept Release date. No bounty Hunter sets :-\

http://www.entertainmentearth.com/hitlist.asp?searchfield=galactic

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 27, 2004, 10:19 PM »
Holy shyte, those look AWESOME! But I don't know if I will buy them. Imagine if someone I know caught me buying baby toys... :-\
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 27, 2004, 11:52 PM »
better pics and more info on these here at the official site. they look great, and i'm glad to see that they didn't cheese out and just package a new figure with an existing figure.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 28, 2004, 10:23 PM »
Hmm, EE has them up for preorder already with an ETA of September:

SW Galactic Heroes 2-Pack Multi-Wave Set $82.99

Hasbro's Playskool Star Wars product line continues! Star Wars Galactic Heroes 2-Pack Multi-Wave Set includes 12 individually packaged figure 2-packs: 1x Darth Vader & Obi-Wan Kenobi, 1x Padme Amidala & Anakin Skywalker, 1x Obi-Wan Kenobi & Jango Fett, 1x Luke Skywalker & R2-D2, 1x Chewbacca & C-3PO, 1x Princess Leia & Han Solo, 2x Boba Fett & Dengar, 2x IG-88 & Zuckuss, 2x 4-LOM & Bossk (Subject to change).

If this case assortment is correct, it's certainly interesting.  I like the doubling of the bounty hunters, but maybe my old eyes are missing it but where's the Yoda/clonetrooper two pack in that?

Falcon is $39.99.  Seems steeper than the old version by $10 IIRC.  No need for this one for me.

SW Galactic Heroes 2-Pack Wave 1.5 $82.99
12 individually packaged figure 2-packs loosely based on the A New Hope theme: 4x Luke Skywalker & R2-D2, 4x Princess Leia & Han Solo and 4x Darth Vader & Obi-Wan Kenobi (Subject to change).

SW Galactic Heroes 2-Pack Wave 1.5 Set $22.99
2-Pack Wave 1.5 Set includes 3 individually packaged figure 2-packs loosely based on the A New Hope theme: 1x Luke Skywalker & R2-D2, 1x Princess Leia & Han Solo and 1x Darth Vader & Obi-Wan Kenobi (Subject to change). The coolest characters from Star Wars are brought to life in "mini" cool chunky style! Each easy to stand figure is approximately 2-inches tall.

SW Galactic Heroes 2-Pack Wave 1 $82.99
2-Pack Wave 1 includes 12 individually packaged figure 2-packs loosely based on the A New Hope theme: 3x Luke Skywalker & R2-D2, 3x Princess Leia & Han Solo, 3x Darth Vader & Obi-Wan Kenobi, 3x Chewbacca & C-3PO (Subject to change).

SW Galactic Heroes 2-Pack Wave 3 $82.99
2-Pack Wave 3 includes 12 individually packaged figure 2-packs loosely based on a Bounty Hunters theme: 1x Boba Fett & Dengar, 1x IG-88 & Zuckuss, 1x Bossk & 4-LOM, 3x Galactic Hero 2-Pack 01 names to be determined, 3x Galactic Hero 2-Pack 02 names to be determined, 3x Galactic Hero 2-Pack 03 names to be determined (Subject to change).   ???

SW Galactic Heroes 2-Pack Wave 1 Set $29.99
2-Pack Wave 1 Set includes 4 individually packaged figure 2-packs loosely based on the A New Hope theme: 1x Luke Skywalker & R2-D2, 1x Princess Leia & Han Solo, 1x Darth Vader & Obi-Wan Kenobi, 1x Chewbacca & C-3PO (Subject to change). The coolest characters from Star Wars are brought to life in "mini" cool chunky style! Each easy to stand figure is approximately 2-inches tall.

SW Galactic Heroes 2-Pack Wave 2 $82.99
2-Pack Wave 2 includes 12 individually packaged figure 2-packs loosely based on the Attack of the Clones theme: 4x Padme Amidala & Anakin Skywalker, 4x Yoda & Clone Trooper, 4x Obi-Wan Kenobi & Jango Fett (Subject to change).  There's Yoda!!!!

SW Galactic Heroes 2-Pack Wave 2 set $29.99
2-Pack Wave 2 Set includes 3 individually packaged figure 2-packs loosely based on the Attack of the Clones theme: 1x Padme Amidala & Anakin Skywalker, 1x Yoda & Clone Trooper, 1x Obi-Wan Kenobi & Jango Fett (Subject to change).

That seems to be all the options currently available.  Comments?