Author Topic: Galactic Heroes Thread  (Read 351576 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Galactic Heroes Thread
« on: June 9, 2003, 01:21 PM »
Just thought I'd start a thread to discuss the Playskool line, sorry if it is already posted elsewhere...I'm new here :).  Personally, I really like this line.  I currently only have the Falcon and Hoth sets, but would like to eventually pick up the rest of the OT sets.  I think they are great for kids (although we don't have any yet, I'll save these for the future), but I'll have to admit I enjoy them quite a bit too.  They are just "fun", kind of how the vintage line was for me when I was a kid.  I especially enjoy the Falcon set.  I don't have room to display them, so it reminded me of my childhood having to put all of the figures in the back of the falcon...just like the old days :).  I really hope this line continues, even if it is limited...because it seems to be pretty popular.  What are your opinions on the line, or ideas for sets you think could be made?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 10:28 PM by Scott »

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: Playskool Line: Do You Collect...Opinions?
« Reply #1 on: June 9, 2003, 02:13 PM »
These are great.  I have four sets, Falcon, X-wing, Wampa, Forest.  So far steered away from the non-OT sets, though that may change.  

I can tell you these are great for kids.  They're blocky enough to handle and quite tough as well, so good design. They look great and are seemingly appealing.  My daughter is three and finds these more appealing than the 3 3/4 figs I've let her have.  She really likes the Wampa set and especially the tauntaun.  She also seems to like the X-wing, which nicely holds the Luke with the saber turned (though it doesn't close perfectly).  

I hope to see more, but again, would like to see Canadian distribution.  I managed to trade for all of these, but the Falcon cost me a pretty penny due to size for shipping.  
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Mandalorian Madman

• Youngling
  • He's no good to me at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2003, 03:17 AM »
yah, I  have all of them so far except the falcon. they are for my daughter (really they are). I think so far the speeder bike and bker scout or taun taun is my favorite (I dig han) but as soon as a boba fett and slave 1 comes our way I may have to 'hold' it for her. I like them and she seems to like chewing on them and trying to stick them in drinking glasses. generally refreshing to see something used for what it was meant for (i.e. to be played with) and like mosnab said, these are very blocky and rugged, good for little hands, etc. I think a sandcrawler with jawas and droids would be cool, or a tusken raider and bantha, or even a shuttle and emperor (and of course fett).
« Last Edit: June 10, 2003, 03:23 AM by Sonderkommando »
JD

"Open them.  All of them."

Offline Hung Solow

• Jedi Initiate
  • Public Enemy #1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2003, 03:33 AM »
I have them all.  It's really the onnly new SW line that I collect.  They are really cool.  My son loves them.  I just hope he doesn't totally destroy them.
Blessed be the Maker and his Water, Blessed be the coming and the going of Him, May His passage cleanse the world. --- Dune: Dr. Kynes; Imperial Ecologist

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2003, 11:27 AM »
Adam (BigDumbWookiee) sold me the Naboo, Hoth and Endor sets for cheap ($15 total) and I went out and bought the arena set.  I'm still missing the Falcon and Xwing sets.  Due to Adam's generous pricing, I figured "What the hell, I'll buy them for my kids.  I don't have any now, but when I do, these will probably be no longer available in the stores."  I told the wife this and she just rolled her eyes.  She even went around her work and told her co-workers that I was buying toys for kids I don't even have yet.  I did find out from one of the co-workers that the wife thinks these are cool toys.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2003, 11:40 AM »
I only have 2 sets. The Falcon & the X-Wing. They are very cool.
I have a Prototype First Shot Stormtrooper from the Falcon set. I have a picture of it posted in the Collections section of the forum.
Proof's, Prototype & Flat Boxes.

Offline Boba Binks

• Jedi Padawan
  • The Most Feared Bounty Hunter on Naboo
    • View Profile
    • David Jonathan Syczylo
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2003, 04:44 PM »
Yeah I picked these up.
Here is how I have them on display.

For those of you looking for me. I am now at www.sandtroopers.com

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2003, 01:40 PM »
After ignoring this "cute" little line since it's inception because my SW collecting (and budget) is already stretched pretty thin with the rest of the sub-lines I collect, I think I've finally decided that I'm going to go after the Original Trilogy sets from this line after all.  Anyone know approximately what they retail for?  I think there's still a few of them floating around my local KB's so maybe I'll get lucky.  I'm sure the Falcon will be a bit tougher though.  Should've bought it the few times I saw it before.  Oh well...   :-\

I'm still a little curious to see what's in store for the future of this line, considering the recent poll that Hasbro ran on it.  Sounded a lot like they were going to start issuing individual (or 2-packs of) carded figures...

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2003, 03:39 PM »
Matt, the Falcon is around $30, the X-wing should be $15 and the Endor and Hoth sets should be around $8.  And KB is the only place I've seen these.

And if its not too much trouble, I'm in need of an Xwing set if you find an extra one.  My area ran out of them a long time ago.  I will of course pay you cost, tax and shipping.  Thanks.

Mikey
Common sense isn't so common

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2003, 04:24 PM »
I have most of them, but I can't remember which ones I don't have.  They're the smaller sets for sure though.  I think this is a great line.  I wasn't too thrilled with it when I first saw them, but my wife bought me the Falcon and I started liking them a lot.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2003, 11:01 PM by dustrho »
dustrho

Offline Hung Solow

• Jedi Initiate
  • Public Enemy #1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2003, 05:00 PM »
Are they doing a similar line for the Transformers???
Blessed be the Maker and his Water, Blessed be the coming and the going of Him, May His passage cleanse the world. --- Dune: Dr. Kynes; Imperial Ecologist

Offline Snively Bandar

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hug a llama today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2003, 06:17 PM »
I have all of them, but I can't remember which ones I don't have.

Um... Huh?   ???    You have them all, but you're still missing some?  Not sure if I quite understand you there dustrho.   :P

I think these sets are kind of fun looking, but that they're mostly for kids which is why I haven't picked any of them up.  I really wonder who Hasbro's focus group is for this line - adult collectors, or the real young kids at whom the line was originally targeted.  I did that poll they released a couple months ago too, so judging by who the poll invitation e-mails went out to it seems like they're wondering if they should indeed tailor this line to us "older kids" now.

Kind of confusing really, since it's pretty much a playskool line.  But if I had the extra cash, I'd probably dive in to these sets as well.  Enjoy them for a few years, and then pass them along to the future kids.   :)

Jango Fettish

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2003, 06:42 PM »
To be brutally honest, I think these are baby toys.

I think they made the Jr. line so that adult collectors wouldn't hoard everything Star Wars related, and so that kids would have smething that wouldn't appeal to adults.

Boy were they wrong.

Sure, they're cute, but they are also molded into one piece, they take after younger versions of Star Wars characters, and are made by Playskool, for a good reason.

I bought some of these for my hope chest, but my chances of havin' a kid to pass on said sets to has been squashed, so I sold them off.

Now, given if they make a Jango Fett set or something, it's mine, but I'll still stand by my beliefs that these really are toddlers toys. Yes, they have tons of other lines to choose from, but don't you think we should let the kids develop their own Star Wars memories too?

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2003, 11:02 PM »
I have all of them, but I can't remember which ones I don't have.

Um... Huh?   ???    You have them all, but you're still missing some?  Not sure if I quite understand you there dustrho.   :P

Thanks for pointing that out to me.  I'm not all here right now.  I had to fly down to Florida due to a family emergency.  I'm just not 100% here I guess.  The sentence has been corrected.   8)
dustrho

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2003, 12:13 PM »
I have them all but they are unopened and waiting until JediMAX is 3 to open them up and they can be played with...then when he moves on to big boy toys, I think i have him covered there too :-*