Author Topic: Galactic Heroes Thread  (Read 352232 times)

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
Re: Playskool Galactic Heroes Thread
« Reply #495 on: August 5, 2006, 08:57 PM »
Chances are that i will stop buying these little guys as well. I can't rationalize buying the sets just for one new figure.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #496 on: August 8, 2006, 11:11 AM »
Hasbrotoyshop.com has all of the new GH 2 packs.  Priced very well at $4.99 a set.

I just hope they don't cancel my order because of the "wrong" price.

They didn't cancel my order, I got them yesterday.   :)

I was glad to pick them up from HTS.  $5 plus 10% off with the COMICON06 code was a great deal.

I really love this batch of figures - all new and no repaints!

- Wedge /TIE Pilot:  I love this Wedge!  They did a great job with his removable helmet.  The TIE Pilot is a great little figure too. 

- Han/Greedo:  Nice to see that Han is new and not just a repaint - new gun and new arm, he's a bit less bulky than the original Han too.  Greedo = great!  I always liked Greedo, and he's really had a good year between this and the VTSC figure.

- Han/Luke Stormtrooper:  Again, great removable helmets on these.  A really nice feature and they work well as regular stormies too.

- Obi-Wan/Sandtrooper:  Nice to finally add a new army builder, and the hood down version of Ben is pretty nifty.  Great saber pose too.

Now I just have to wait for the boys to get a little older so they can play "Star Wars" with me...  :P  ;)
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: August 8, 2006, 11:37 AM »
Yep, me too!

My son (who's 3 1/2 now) and I had a blast playing with them.  He's got his own standard 3 3/4 figures that I've handed down to him but he'll play with anything Star Wars. 

It's a good thing these arrived on the same day as my George trooper - it's difficult to explain to a toddler why we can't open up a figure!   ;D

He loves anything that has removable pieces (go figure) so of course his favorites were the Han/Luke stormies and the Wedge.

My favorite so far is a toss up between Greedo and the Sandtrooper.  This is the best wave I've seen in awhile for sure.

« Last Edit: August 8, 2006, 11:38 AM by ruiner »

Offline Holographic Elvis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'll punch you in the junk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: August 8, 2006, 12:29 PM »
No clue what's up w/ my order from them.  I have the Han/Luke and Han/Greedo sets showing as 8/1/2006 ship dates and the other two sets are now backordered, yet the main page w/ all four of them listed says "items not shipped."  I may have to contact them to see what's up.

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #499 on: August 11, 2006, 09:22 AM »
GH has pics of the cinema scenes. I don't think i will be buying these sets. Not enough new figures

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: August 11, 2006, 10:16 AM »
GH has pics of the cinema scenes. I don't think i will be buying these sets. Not enough new figures

The only one I might buy is the Geonosis one.  "New" figures of clones, C-3PO and the red battle droid plus the Geonosian Warrior hasn't been released since the Reek battle pack back in the day.  And having an extra SBD isn't too bad.  The rest I can't justify.  Sucks because I really want that purple clone, blackhole stormtrooper and black R2 unit.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #501 on: August 11, 2006, 11:01 AM »
Yeah i really want that black hole stormtrooper as well, but dont need all the same figures again.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: August 11, 2006, 11:06 AM »
Yeah, I'm not sure about these yet either.  I do see where they would be great to give as a gift to your kid or niece/nephew or something, getting so many characters together like that, but I'm not sure I can justify picking it up.  I would like to get the astromech, blackhole trooper, etc., but I just don't know if I can spend that much just for a figure or two.  Although I have mainly been focusing on the OT sets so far (and ROTS I guess), I had considered getting the Geonosis set because I don't really have any/many of those figures in the first place.  We'll see I guess, it depends what else I'm spending money on at the time, but right now I'm leaning towards no on these as well.  Just too much for a new figure or two.

Offline RichardTheBloody

• Jedi Initiate
  • I find your lack of pants...disturbing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: August 11, 2006, 11:43 AM »
if nothing else, the battlepacks give slackers like me a chance to catch up and get some of the harder to find ones (leia and padme in particular) If i thought it would do any good, i'd push for some EU characters, but at this point, hasbro's probly on the verge of pulling the plug :(

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: August 12, 2006, 01:00 AM »
I stopped collecting this line awhile ago, I still like this line but I have to narrow my collection down.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #505 on: August 12, 2006, 04:32 AM »
Yeah i really want that black hole stormtrooper as well, but dont need all the same figures again.

Yeah, that's going to be a very common complaint when these ultimately hit the shelves.  Most collectors who already have all of the figures release so far are going to be more than pissed off at having to get the Cinema Scene sets just to get a new figure or two.  I really wonder if Hasbro's going to do something to appease the majority of completists with this line, so they don't wind up with a bajillion duplicate figures.  It's been bad enough having them mix one new one with one old one already.  Hasbro needs to be careful with this strategy, as it could ultimately backfire, and alienate some of their longtime collectors of the line who feel they're being taken advantage of by being forced into a much larger purchase than they want just to acquire a new figure.

That's partially what's driving a lot of longtime collectors out of the 4" line of late, or at least changing their formerly "completist" ways, since they were growing more and more tired of "having to" buy all the repaints/recards/rehashes over and over and over again.

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #506 on: August 12, 2006, 09:06 AM »

Yeah, that's going to be a very common complaint when these ultimately hit the shelves.  Most collectors who already have all of the figures release so far are going to be more than pissed off at having to get the Cinema Scene sets just to get a new figure or two.  I really wonder if Hasbro's going to do something to appease the majority of completists with this line, so they don't wind up with a bajillion duplicate figures.  It's been bad enough having them mix one new one with one old one already.  Hasbro needs to be careful with this strategy, as it could ultimately backfire, and alienate some of their longtime collectors of the line who feel they're being taken advantage of by being forced into a much larger purchase than they want just to acquire a new figure.

That's partially what's driving a lot of longtime collectors out of the 4" line of late, or at least changing their formerly "completist" ways, since they were growing more and more tired of "having to" buy all the repaints/recards/rehashes over and over and over again.

Well said. I very much feel the same way. I used to need one of every figure with the 4" line but just can't bring myself to do it anymore. I think its a combination of Sideshow and the animated Gentle Giant staues taking up funds, but it really is because i am tired of buying the same figures over and over again. I won't be buying anymore of these little guys because i just don't need the extra stuff. (Besides I am hoping for that Black Hole Stormtrooper Kubrick  ;D)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: August 12, 2006, 10:26 PM »
I concur.  I've said it elsewhere on site, but the constant rehashing and packing one, two or even three rehashes to get me to buy a single new figure (often a kitbash in the 3 3/4 line) just isn't going to fly. 

I'd consider myself to be one of the early completeists on this line, arguing with Cory from the start ;)  Like the regular Hasbro line enough is enough.  And yeah, I'm a small collector relative to some other folks, but I'm happy enough to direct my dollars towards someone else like Medicom, Gentle Giant, Sideshow and others. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Dan

• Jedi Knight
  • Got some
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: August 13, 2006, 01:20 PM »
As much as I like them, these multipacks are a deal breaker. I won't buy them, Hasbro will complain the line isn't being supported, and everyone walks away unhappy.
Not to mention the "repackers" out there. I happened across a Saga sandtrooper card with a POTJ stormie in it, and the concussion bomb missing. Anyone with that kind of time and patience should be spending it working, then the 6.63 wouldn't seem like such a big deal.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: August 14, 2006, 08:23 AM »
The only multi pack that will sell is the Geonosis one.

There are a lot of figures (Jango, Padme, Geonosian Warrior, AOTC Obi Wan) in that set that I'm missing and I have a feeling that I'm not the only one!