Author Topic: Spelling  (Read 7193 times)

Offline Carrie M

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: Spelling
« Reply #15 on: June 9, 2003, 06:28 PM »
Ah, I see my error now. It was bound to happen sooner or later, me making a mistake.  ;)
Carrie, collector of Tusken-y things.

Virex

« Reply #16 on: June 9, 2003, 06:33 PM »
Ah, I see my error now. It was bound to happen sooner or later, me making a mistake.  ;)

Right-click-print.

Offline sp00ky

• Jedi Initiate
  • Scott McKenzie
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 9, 2003, 08:45 PM »
IMO people should at least make an effort at good spelling habits, even on message boards.  

Spelling errors that happen once and a while don't bother me, but people who make NO ATTEMPT to make thier spelling legible bug the heck out of me.

Why should I care what you have to say if you can't take the time to check your spelling?

The other thing that bugs me too, is people who consistantly mis-spell the same word over and over.

There is a member of a GI Joe board I go to who frequently spells "like" as "leik"  It drives me nuts, and though it has been pointed out to him several times he just doesn't care.

/end rant

:)

Scott
The space left intentionally blank.

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 9, 2003, 11:16 PM »
Well,I may suck at it,BUT I do try.Its weird my vocab. is pretty big,but when I can't think of how to spell the word I just put it another way.Anyone else have this problem?
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2003, 01:20 PM »
Just spell it out, man. There's one thing I've learned, if you type it out knowing that its spelt wrong, most of the time you remember how to spell it correctly. I couldn't spell akward last night - till I wrote it - now I'm hoping that's the correct spelling - but at least I get the idea.

My newest thing, as opposed to comas, is this '-' thing - and I'm enjoying it - as you can see.  ;D

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Star Wars collection
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2003, 02:04 PM »
I have always been a fan.....of the dot, dot, dot (instead of commas).

Got Clones?

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2003, 02:34 PM »
My newest thing, as opposed to comas, is this '-' thing - and I'm enjoying it - as you can see.  ;D

I have always been a fan.....of the dot, dot, dot (instead of commas).

Funny, but these are both things that I enjoy using immensely as well.  I realize I take great punctuational liberties with them, but I think they're helpful in even better communicating our thoughts on an internet message board like this one.

I often find the dashes to be useful, since I use way too many commas already.  It's also a nice representation suggesting a brief "pause" in a written comment, or can serve somewhat as a "separator" between two different ideas in the same sentence.

As for the "..." thing, anyone who's read any of my posts will see those things in there about 95% of the time.  I think they're almost like my posting trademark now!  I generally use them at the end of paragraphs and/or at the end of my entire post.  I think it's my clever way of saying: Even though my thought or post is technically finished here, don't go mentally wandering off just yet - I want you to think about what I just said...   8)   :P
« Last Edit: June 10, 2003, 02:39 PM by JediMAC »

Offline Franny Glass

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2003, 09:07 PM »
I try not to sound pejorative when it comes to spelling errors, but since I am an editor by trade, I often find myself editing posts rather than reading them. I think it's a job hazard. It gets particularly bad when reading newer fiction.  Honestly, you would think major publishing companies would catch grammatical mistakes. However, I work for one of them and we have been known to publish utter crap. :D

My biggest peeve would have to be when punctuation is placed outside of ending quotations. For example, I walked the "alleged dog."

Wouldn't spell check be a nice addition to Forums?
I am a kind of paranoiac in reverse. I suspect people of plotting to make me happy.
--JD Salinger

Offline Snively Bandar

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hug a llama today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2003, 11:05 PM »
I'm pretty much a stickler when it comes to spelling as well.  But that's just for myself.  While I'd honestly prefer to see everyone use proper spelling and grammar just for the sake of being able to read things easier, I certainly don't expect it, especially in a forum setting such as this.  I don't get bothered or offended by those who don't abide to my personal lofty standards though!   ;)

But if you want to give it a shot, I'd be all for it!   8)

Offline Darth Kenobi

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2003, 11:28 PM »
I'm not the best speller around and try to do my best at trying to spell stuff right.  The main problem for me is the fact that I have a speech impedement which makes it hard for me to sound out words since I get alot of words sounding the same; K/C, T/D, S/Z and others.  For the most part I don't give alot of thought to people who misspell words since I don't know what their situation is like Captain Panaka back in CSW days and figure maybe they have some sort of problem and have a hard time like me.  If anyone here ever meets me you will figure that I'm either German, Scadivain, Scottish, or Eastern European since I have an ascent yet I was born in this Country.  ;D

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2003, 12:00 PM »
Having a Journalism degree has definitely made me in a spelling freak, but I'm not going to hunt you down and make fun of you if you don't know how to spell well or not.  It's none of my business how great of a speller you are or are not.

One thing that irritates me is when people type in all words in ALL CAPS, lower case, or use NO punctuation at all.  I think the punctuation part burns me up the most.

So, spelling errors are not a big issue with me.
dustrho

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2003, 01:11 PM »
Hell, I'm a graphic designer and I feel that all written material should be correct. Spelling and grammar aren't just important for people with an editorial background, its the language you communicate in. If you don't care enough to make certain your spelling is correct, then you're doing yourself a disservice.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2003, 05:21 PM »
I can see why people get a bit upset over this.  However, my concentration on the forums is not very high.  I am guilty of it all the time.  However, at work I am actually judged on quality.  It coincides with my job performance.  If I mess up a word or number I get "failed".  Right now my quality is 99.847%.  Not too bad.  I mainly come here to unwind and relax and just don't take the time to corrrect errors or even preview what I write.  

Offline hansloroll

• Youngling
  • attempting to complete my vintage collection
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2003, 11:44 PM »
I try not to become vitriolic in reference to others atrocious spelling habits but merely find myself extremely amused instead.I attempt to display my verbal alacrity whenever I may but often dumb it down for the masses for as my brother told me the other day"You sound stupid when you talk with them big words(expletive refrained from here for sake of all involved)"
attempting to complete my vintage collection .Available for sculpting and painting.cantina monsters and droids a favorite project.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2003, 11:50 PM »
I bet nobody here can guess what Gandhi's last words were after he was shot...
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda