Author Topic: Imperial 4-Pack is fan-freakin-tastic!!!  (Read 4170 times)

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
Imperial 4-Pack is fan-freakin-tastic!!!
« on: June 5, 2003, 10:34 AM »
I could have also entitled this thread "Imperial 4-pack renews Lando's hope in SW collecting". I feel like this is the first SW figure I've gotten since....oh, before you were born...

I found a few of these last night at TRU in Times Square, NY. I bought 2, despite their pricetag (possibly the only thing I didn't like about the set). I'm psyched with this 4-pack. Despite the fact that Vader isn't an army builder, he is the best Vader we have so far...and when I swap heads with the upcoming removeable helmet Vader, and give him softgoods cape and robes, he'll be the ultimate Vader...

The stormtrooper, who many of you know has knee articulation, can be posed perfectly with the E-WEB tripod cannon. I can't believe this wasn't brought up in any of the reviews on the collecting sites. He looks great. If you have more than one of the stormie, you can pose the other futzing around with the power supply. The E-WEB is a two man operation, apparently. Either that or the Stormtroopers have a pretty good union.

I didn't need another Interrogation droid or mouse droid, but hey, they look good in the background. And if the Empire ever needs to run interrogations en masse, I'll be set.

Couldn't be happier with the R4 unit...now I won't have to paint my own!

Despite the compaints I've heard about the quality of the plastic on the AT-ST driver, I'm very pleased with these as well. I don't have a problem with the plastic on this, as he'll just be window dressing when he's not completely obscured inside the AT-ST. Plus, if you think he looks bad, perhaps you should take a look at this...

I know, I know....that was cruel.

Lastly, it was a great idea on Hasbro's part to throw us a bone and give us some stands for once! Bravo Hasbro, bravo...

-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline MisterPL

• Jedi Padawan
  • Sarcastic instigator at large.
    • View Profile
Re: Imperial 4-Pack is fan-freakin-tastic!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 5, 2003, 11:02 AM »
Yeah, I was happier than I expected with this set. I still would have bought more than one but for the Vader figure. Still might pick another up and do some custom with that Vader armor.  ;D

The lamest complaint I've heard about this set is the inclusion of the WEB cannon. Some just can't get past the idea that this is just a weapon and wasn't necessarily exclusive to one planet. Some people have no imagination, but my kids certainly didn't mind putting the stormtrooper and Vader behind it.

(See, Vader ordered the stormtrooper to shoot down that TIE Bomber that was stolen by a rebel operative masquerading as an AT-ST driver but everyone knows stormies can't hit the broad side of a bantha so Vader tossed the soldier out of the way, took control of the cannon, and brought down the bomber himself!)
Post sober.

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 5, 2003, 12:02 PM »
Yeah, I was happier than I expected with this set. I still would have bought more than one but for the Vader figure. Still might pick another up and do some custom with that Vader armor.  ;D

The lamest complaint I've heard about this set is the inclusion of the WEB cannon. Some just can't get past the idea that this is just a weapon and wasn't necessarily exclusive to one planet. Some people have no imagination, but my kids certainly didn't mind putting the stormtrooper and Vader behind it.

(See, Vader ordered the stormtrooper to shoot down that TIE Bomber that was stolen by a rebel operative masquerading as an AT-ST driver but everyone knows stormies can't hit the broad side of a bantha so Vader tossed the soldier out of the way, took control of the cannon, and brought down the bomber himself!)

Sweeeet! Yeah, the EWEB is definitely an all-climates weapon. That was even the case when I played with the vintage figures (though they were new at the time). Good to hear your kids have great imaginations, PL! :D

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #3 on: June 5, 2003, 12:33 PM »
That cannon was used on Hoth (ESB) and on Tatooine (ANH), so it could definitely work well in all types of climates.
dustrho

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #4 on: June 5, 2003, 12:34 PM »

That's a great description there!  You had me laughing outloud, and what an imagination you have!  ;D
dustrho

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 5, 2003, 05:08 PM »
The stormtrooper, who many of you know has knee articulation, can be posed perfectly with the E-WEB tripod cannon. I can't believe this wasn't brought up in any of the reviews on the collecting sites.

I completely agree with you, Lando--it was one of the many positives I pointed out in my own review. Some people look for movie authenticity above everything else, I guess...

I can't get over how much I enjoy this set, nor can I get over how clear Hasbro's thinking was on this one. I look at it like this--the ATST Driver and R4-I9 are both strong enough figures they could've been released on their own cards and I would've eaten them up. This is the way Hasbro needs to handle all rehashes--with creativity and style--using the best molds they have to conjure up new figures. If they could do it here, why not with the (very similar) upcoming Rebel Technician?

As for appropriate accessories, I can see both sides. Would I have loved, say, an old POTF2 Probot instead of the POTF2 Cannon? Sure, but twenty bucks for four different figures is as good a deal as your going to find, so accessories are just gravy to me.

Offline Jedirhino

• Jedi Initiate
  • The party's over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 5, 2003, 05:47 PM »
sounds sweet Lando and with the extras sure is a great deal!

Offline Dimetrodon

• Jedi Padawan
  • Gort
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 5, 2003, 07:41 PM »
i really hope i find it man.
i was at TRU 2 days ago and all they had were like 2 new he-man figures and a few new movie maniacs.
SW seems to truly be dead by me. but i'll have to check out by the other places.
i don't think i'd even try to put the stormie ont he tripod cannon. sounds great.
maybe it'll be in a diorama of it shooting ewoks. YES!!!

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 6, 2003, 01:43 AM »
Lando, I'm glad you gave that awesome review and it's great seeing my favorite scoundrel get excited about the hobby again.  Now I need to find these too!

Dimetrodon, do you still want the Ephant Mon, Hoth Han and Carkoon Fett?  If so, I can hunt around here for a week or so and see if I can nab you an Imperial Forces set.  

:P

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 6, 2003, 10:39 AM »
Lando, I'm glad you gave that awesome review and it's great seeing my favorite scoundrel get excited about the hobby again.  Now I need to find these too! :P

Thanks CHEWIE! Its been sooooooo long since I've found anything, that this was such a great SW collecting moment for me. I totally felt like a kid again! :D

Offline Dimetrodon

• Jedi Padawan
  • Gort
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 7, 2003, 04:29 PM »
I FOUND ONE TODAY!!!!

my first piece of 2003 material. and ansy SW product this year. yahooo

i love it.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 7, 2003, 09:28 PM »
I found a ton of these today at a TRU in my area and I really like them too.

Too bad that the paint details on the Stormtrooper on these that I found was subpar though, especially on the two little circle dots on the sides of the chin.  They are supposed to be black with silver in the middle, but were still white.

:P

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 7, 2003, 10:04 PM »
Man do I love this set!I've got two already and I might get two more(trust me its that cool)
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 9, 2003, 07:56 PM »
I consider myself a semi-serious Imperial army builder.  This pack is a great thing for folks like myself.  I even like the Vader!

While these are all kit-bash figures, I like what they did.  It's 3 army builders plus a decent Darth Vader, and signifigant accessories for $20.  You can't get that kind of value from 4 basic SAGA figures.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback