Author Topic: Greetings!  (Read 5388 times)

Offline Blackwolf13

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
    • Omaha Fan Force
Greetings!
« on: May 17, 2007, 05:26 PM »
Hey folks.

I'm fairly new to the Jedi Defender forums. I've been checking out the site for a few months now, but just finally got around to posting. I've been a Star Wars geek coming up on 30 years now. I live in Omaha NE, been married for 8 1/2 years to a very cool lady who gets and puts up with my geekiness. We have 2 kids- ages 6 & 2 with another on the way in July. I am slowly but surely turning them into SW geeks too. My main focus of SW collecting is the figures. I wish I could say I had them all from the modern lines, but I don't. I'm working on it though. Ships/vehicles/creatures follow a close second. I also like to pick up oddball type stuff. Stuff a lot of other people may not have. For example, I have a pair of SW marketing floders from JC Penney's for the TPM release. I also have a vinyl banner from TPM and the one TRU had when AotC came out. I have a trade list I'll post here shortly.

While I've been a fan since 1977, my fire was rekindled when the Heir to the Empire series came out. I've been in full out geek mode ever since. My first tattoo was the Rebel Alliance emblem. I've been a member of our local Fan Force group for about 6 years now and the Rebel Legion for about 3 years. That's about all the important stuff for now.

Offline Deanna Rash

• Jedi Padawan
  • AH ! Whatta you know a jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Greetings!
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007, 10:26 PM »
 ;D Welcome to the group!I'm sure you'll like it around here
The ablity to speak does not make you intelligent - now get out of here!

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2007, 12:12 AM »
Nice to see you started a thread back here for yourself Blackwolf. :)

Welcome to JD, we're glad to have you here. I saw you and Jesse already talked a little about the Omaha connection... I could add to that but I'll save that for another time maybe. We definitely have you covered as far as basic figure collecting goes. Check the Other Collectibles section for some of those oddball items. I know we have a few people around here who are into odd items as well. Feel free to jump on into discussion anywhere, we are glad to have you.

If you have any questions, don't hestitate to PM any of us on the staff and we can hopefully answer any questions you may have. See you around man!
"This is the way."

Offline Blackwolf13

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
    • Omaha Fan Force
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2007, 12:18 AM »
Thanks Ryan. It's good to be here. I'd like to hear about your Omaha connection sometime.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2007, 12:19 AM »
Welcome to JD Blackwolf, glad you have you here. Enjoy!  :)

Offline Blackwolf13

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
    • Omaha Fan Force
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2007, 12:30 AM »
Thanks DJS. I'm sure you've heard this before, but that is one of the coolest avatars ever! Where did you find it?

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2007, 12:44 AM »
Thanks DJS.

Well you did get the letters right.  ;D

Oh her, yeah very popular avatar on the forums. She is Christina Model, be careful Googling that name.  ;)

Offline Blackwolf13

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
    • Omaha Fan Force
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2007, 01:09 AM »
Sorry about that.  :-[ It's late.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2007, 04:10 AM »
He's Canadian so it doesn't matter.   :-X  :-*

Welcome aboard JD Blackwolf...  I've kinda already welcomed you but it's good you posted a "hello" thread.  Good to have another "old timer" too...  We like to keep the older vibe around here, and think it adds to the conversation.  Glad you de-lurked around here though and joined in the conversation.  You've made a nice fit immediately so it's good to have you on board man.

Enjoy, and if you've got questions the staff here are always available, so just PM us anything you you have and we'll get back to you.

Take care and enjoy JD, it's good to have you on board with us.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2007, 01:35 PM »
I've loved you ever since your appearance on Conan.

"Take this, fresh hound!"

Good stuff.

Welcome to the site.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2007, 03:57 PM »
Hey there Blackwolf, welcome to JD.  Nice to have you finally get your butt out of lurker mode and join the party!  ;)  Always good to have another "lifer" as well.  Hope you enjoy the site, and discussion.  Great bunch of collectors 'round these parts, so I'm sure you will (even if we're all old fogeys).  Let us know if you have any questions or comments about anything - we're here to serve!  Looking forward to chatting with you around the boards here...

- Matt

Offline Blackwolf13

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
    • Omaha Fan Force
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2007, 05:37 PM »
Thanks. I really like the site, especially the figure reviews. I still remember my first 2 figures: Luke & Chewbacca, their feet stuck in the frosting of my 7th birthday cake. I also got a blue t-shirt w/ Chewbacca on it. Kids these days don't know how good they have it figure wise. I remember the days of static poses, 5 POA, non-removable helmets. We only had one version of Chewie & Vader. No EU stuff unless you count the Droids & Ewok lines. Highly inaccurate sculpts, no action features (which in retrospect is a good thing). Those were the days...

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2007, 06:04 PM »
Indeed.  Much easier to house the collection back then too, that's for sure!  But what the heck were your figures doing in your cake?!  Oh, the mess!  Especially in the peg holes...  Oy.  (yes, I was just as obsessive compulsive back then as a kid as I am now)

Pretty sure my 7th birthday cake was SW as well, though the figures actually didn't come out until the following year.  I think I was stuck with just the bed sheets, Burger King glasses, and a sweat shirt for most of the remainder of '77, unfortunately.

I'm sure Jesse will appreciate the kind words on his reviews there too.  He definitely busts his ass on those...
« Last Edit: May 22, 2007, 06:05 PM by JediMAC »

Offline Blackwolf13

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
    • Omaha Fan Force
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2007, 08:51 PM »
I guess my folks thought it'd be a cool way to give me my first figures. I still remember it though, nearly 30 years later. My figures were so abused it's pathetic. I never blew any of them up, but a number of them were frozen a number of times. I'm surprised any of them survived. I still have some. I've been trading them off over the past few years. I had the bed sheets, socks, a few shirts. My worst SW moment though was about 1980 or so when my sister destroyed my X-Wing. I had my stuff out in the middle of my bedroom floor, setting stuff up to play. My sister was jumping on my bed at the time. I don't know if she decided she was done or miscalculated, but she landed on my X-Wing, snapping off the top right wing.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2007, 03:07 AM »
I trust you beat the crap out of her shortly thereafter, as big brothers are supposed to do...  For both ruining your X-wing, as well as wrinkling your Star Wars sheets!

My little sis' wasn't even allowed in my room, so I squashed that potential problem before it even started.  ;)