Author Topic: Finally... The Sandcrawler!  (Read 5915 times)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Finally... The Sandcrawler!
« on: June 3, 2005, 02:20 AM »
Now this puppy looks sweet!

I especially love the incredible figure lineup for it: 3 Jawas, Owen Lars, R2-D2, C-3PO, R5-D4, ASP droid, Gonk droid, Treadwell droid, and R1-G4.  8)

From SW.com:

It seems the Jawas of the LEGO universe have finally scavenged enough plastic bricks to put together their own sandcrawler. That's right -- LEGO will be releasing the hotly anticipated Jawa Sandcrawler set for pre-order on their website starting June 15!
"Fans have been asking for a sandcrawler since we introduced LEGO Star Wars in 1999," says LEGO Global Partnerships and Alliances Director Jay Bruns. "We have had a few varieties of models that we've built internally, but this is the first time that we've put one into production."

The LEGO Sandcrawler consists of 1,669 pieces, and features the introduction of the LEGO Jawa figure -- three in fact. Other figures include Owen Lars, R2-D2, C-3PO, R5-D4, ASP droid, gonk droid, Treadwell droid, and R1-G4.

Additional features will include:

- Functioning steering mechanism for the rear wheels
- Treads on wheels for smooth motion
- Removable crane for moving droids
- Opening hatch revealing the inside of the sandcrawler
- Opening cockpit for a driver
- Removable center section to reveal a sandcrawler 'control room'

The screen mammoth translates to some rather robust dimensions in the LEGO universe as well. LEGO's sandcrawler will measure 15" long x 8" tall x 7.5" wide, scaled nicely to the mini figures that accompany the set. The packaging has returned the retro Original Trilogy Collection look that was established before Episode III, which should please fans of the vintage aesthetic.

"We've had a great time bringing the sandcrawler to life, continues Bruns. "We hope that the fans enjoy it." Judging by anticipation for this set, not even a restraining bolt is likely to hold back fans when LEGO offers them up later this month at their website.
« Last Edit: June 3, 2005, 02:22 AM by JediMAC »

Offline JayDouble

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Let The Wookie Win!
    • View Profile
Re: Finally... The Sandcrawler!
« Reply #1 on: June 3, 2005, 03:20 AM »
I stopped collecting the Lego line except for the minis, but this is tempting. 

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 3, 2005, 08:31 AM »
11 figures and 1700 pieces?   :o  That's going to be one expensive set.  Sounds like a S@H or Lego store exclusive.  Sucks, no chance for a Target super clearance on this piece. 
Common sense isn't so common

Offline John C

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 3, 2005, 09:19 AM »
Me wantee.  I will find a way to buy one of those.  I may have to get a part time job at the Mall Of America Lego store just so I can get a discount on it.  Hopefully a modular Death Star similar to Jabba's Palace is in the works. 

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 3, 2005, 11:41 AM »
Damn, this kicks so much ass! I'm definately choosing it over that UCS Death Star.

I'm guessing price will be between $100-120... :-\
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 3, 2005, 12:56 PM »

I'm guessing price will be between $100-120... :-\

$150 easy.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #6 on: June 3, 2005, 03:08 PM »
Sounds like a S@H or Lego store exclusive.  Sucks, no chance for a Target super clearance on this piece.

Yep.  And that's exactly why I've essentially stopped collecting the higher end Lego sets  that aren't available at retail over the last few years.  I'd always been able to nab all the previous Lego sets at Target for nice clearance prices (50% - 75% off), so it's really sucked that Lego has stopped distributing most of their nicer product to retail of late.

But damn, I'm still gonna have to make this beautiful Sandcrawler work somehow.  That impressive droid lineup is way too sweet to pass on too!  No idea why they made R1-G4 green though...  :-\
« Last Edit: June 3, 2005, 03:12 PM by JediMAC »

Offline chuckles

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 3, 2005, 03:46 PM »
I don't know, this set might even go as high as $200. The UCS Rebel Blockade Runner had just over 1700 pieces and retailed for $200 when it came out and that had zero figures in it. I do hope it's closer to $150 though. Gonna be tough to swing this and the UCS Death Star later this year.  :-\

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 4, 2005, 12:38 AM »
Wow, nearly 1700 pieces, I certainly never expected them to go so big on this one. 

Now, I realize I'm being picky on this, but the white pieces seem so distracting for me.  I'm assuming this is to give it the weathered look, but the lighter brown and grey pieces would have been enough for me.

A very cool set, but I usually just go with the smaller LEGO sets, so I'll probably pass on this one.  I just doesn't quite have the "wow!" factor for something that's going to cost me a couple hundred bucks.

(And on another note, I'd say this is pretty good confirmation of the OTC returning...)

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 4, 2005, 03:24 AM »
I just have to have this. She's going to be a bit pricey but what the hell.

Offline JedioftheNorth

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 4, 2005, 12:56 PM »
This looks great might have to breakdown and pick one up but yeah it's going to be pricey but what the hell right  ;D.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2005, 11:34 PM »
$139.99 USD

And why the hell is this classified as UCS? :-\

EDIT: Screencapped some pics from the website. :)

« Last Edit: June 11, 2005, 11:46 PM by Diddly »
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2005, 11:58 AM »
So $199.99 in Canadian Tire money. Yep, I'll get one.  :)

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 1, 2007, 03:58 PM »
I put in an order for a Sandcrawler last night.  I'd been waiting and waiting and waiting.  I called a few weeks ago and they said they had less than 50 left in stock.

Then when I got my catalog yesterday and it wasn't pictured anymore, I started thinking that it was now or never.  And orders over $75 get a free lego brick ice-cube tray.   8)

Get them now.  They'll probably be $250 or $300 on eBay in a few months.