Author Topic: Convention Exclusives... Hasbro Sucks!  (Read 13440 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Convention Exclusives... Hasbro Sucks!
« on: May 24, 2007, 01:43 PM »
j/k...  well sort of.

3 friggin' exclusives though?  I mean, I kinda dig a shadow scout with bike (if it's a new bike, which I doubt).  I like the R2-KT idea as a nice tribute, so that's ok and as an exclusive it's a good idea I think (especially with the trooper last year).  The McFigures as exclusives is really starting to irk me a little though...  Repaints are fine, but it's the all-new sculpts that really start to eat at you a little bit I think, especially ones stuck specifically in the hottest sub-line Hasbro's done in ages too with the McQuarrie Concept line...

The photo we got sneak peeking at the Yoda/Obi looks outstanding though and seems like these may be two of the finer McFigures of '07.  It's just a real pain knowing there's that many more exclusives to network for and ultimately pay a premium for as well.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 09:12 PM by Jeff »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
Re: San Diego Comic Con Exclusives... Hasbro Sucks!
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2007, 02:28 PM »
I dunno Jesse... I personally got real tired of the exclusives being repaints and repacks like the 501st or holographic this and that.

I don't like the prices, but I'm glad that all the work of getting help with the exclusives and shelling out lots of money at least nets something interesting.

What I'm most worried about though, is that these things will be released later on making all the effort and extra dollars wasted.  The problem is there's no way to tell.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2007, 02:31 PM »
3 friggin' exclusives though? 

I think the count is up to four based on what is being shown at C-IV...

• Shadow Scout with Speeder Bike (?)
  • 501st Legion R2-KT (?)
  • Concept Grievous (SWShop On-Line Exclusive)
  • Concept Obi-Wan and Yoda 2-Pack (HasbroToyShop Exclusive)

4 exclusives?  Can you say OVERKILL?   ::)
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2007, 02:38 PM »
Uh...  ****.  ::)

I know your point Rob, but I guess I just feel exclusives should only be repaints or lower-demand items.  Like R2-KT is ideal I think because of the subject matter, it being a repaint of an astromech (most of us love that regardless), etc.  New figures just irk me because networking isn't always an option, it is by definition excluding a lot of people, and that sorta puts a knife in collecting for many...  I know I personally don't care for "the hunt".  To me that just means additional cost to an already increasingly expensive hobby...  So brand new stuff as exclusives really sorta irks me.  Not that I won't get it, I will find a way, I just dislike having to do so (and ultimately pay that premium on top of everything else too...  I mean, the McDroids and McLuke are really high priced items at C4 there).

I see your side too though Rob so I'm not arguing much...  it's just my preference on exclusives at this point.  I'm similar with pack-ins.  Some people love that you get a new figure with some ship...  For me, that sucks because I don't WANT to buy a lot of the ships, but I may want the figure...  And what gets re-released is anyone's guess.

If there were some guarantee you'd have a crack at these exclusives online and not in limited numbers (I'm not saying over-saturated either, just not "we have 500 of these to go for sale online tomorrow at 8:00 a.m.!"), I'd be less critical.  I'm always hopeful of online sales after the show of course though and that's the best you can hope for in this situation I guess.  It's like scalpers...  It's there, you deal with it, and that's all there is to it.

EDIT:

By the way it should be noted that my title for this thread was a little tongue-in-cheek...  I just figured it would be the mantra around the net so I thought it rather funny. ;)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2007, 02:48 PM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2007, 04:35 PM »
3 friggin' exclusives though? 

I think the count is up to four based on what is being shown at C-IV...

• Shadow Scout with Speeder Bike (?)
  • 501st Legion R2-KT (?)
  • Concept Grievous (SWShop On-Line Exclusive)
  • Concept Obi-Wan and Yoda 2-Pack (HasbroToyShop Exclusive)

4 exclusives?  Can you say OVERKILL?   ::)

Hate to break this but...

you know there is 5 right? when you add in the titanium multipack :-\.
Can I add that one in since the thread title was 'exclusives' and not 'figure exclusives'??

If they choose a new sculpt or a really good repaint-I'm OK with the exclusives, BUT if it's repaint trash like I'm already getting a ton of in the titanium line, then it's BS.

Can you tell that I suspect the titanium san Diego CC exclusive to be repaints?? ::) :P

DS

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2007, 05:42 PM »

I mean, I kinda dig a shadow scout with bike (if it's a new bike, which I doubt). 

The whole black trooper schtick has gone awry - there's too much of it and it's being milked to death.

BTW, as you suspected, the bike is from POTF2.

Offline poddie

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2007, 06:02 PM »
Well, Hasbro's showing is truly outstanding.  I would have never guessed they could put so many high quality and bulky figures out at the basic price point.  Hermie looks phenominal, as does nearly every other figure newly shown.  I love C-3PO, Salacious, Han Torture, A-Wing Pilot, the Ewoks, and especially ALL the amazing concept figures.

However, obviously I am strongly in the camp that overall Hasbro SUCKS.  I guess I don't need to elaborate again, but their new elitest policies are inexcusable.  I was really hoping the title was serious and someone a little more high profile would come right out and condemn what they are doing.  I really do appreciate your at least coming out with the strongest stance I've seen so far.  The other sites seem to just be turning a blind eye as far as the webmasters are concerned.

It's really such a shame that Hasbro's nicest work EVER (I have been collecting Star Wars figs since '78) has to be tarnished by this crap. 

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2007, 06:28 PM »
That's because all of the webmasters now have relationships with the people at Hasbro.   I'm not saying that'a bad thing, but it's easier to be critical of people you don't ever have to meet or work with.  I'm hoping that enough people will express disatisfaction during the Q&A that Hasbro will rethink their policies.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Blackwolf13

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
    • Omaha Fan Force
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2007, 08:01 PM »
I thought of a good accessory to go with the exclusives: Cheese to go along with the whine.  ;D

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2007, 11:02 PM »
you know there is 5 right? when you add in the titanium multipack :-\.
Can I add that one in since the thread title was 'exclusives' and not 'figure exclusives'??

I guess I wasn't counting that Titanium set because I thought it was a Battlestar Galactica 3-pack, not Star Wars...  plus the thread is in the figures section of the forum, so I was only thinking figures in my post.

Your point is true though, there are even more than 5 if you count all the non-Star Wars stuff from Hasbro - BSG titaniums, GI Joe, etc.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2007, 11:12 PM »
By the way it should be noted that my title for this thread was a little tongue-in-cheek...  I just figured it would be the mantra around the net so I thought it rather funny. ;)

Saying "Hasbro sucks" is so 2002.   ::)

The cool way to voice your displeasure with this company is to use the ever-so-witty "Hasblow" (which, in this case, would be "Hasblows").  Other accepted variations, according to the hipsters, are "ReHash-bro" and "Hasbro-ken." 
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2007, 02:14 AM »
Saying "Hasbro sucks" is so 2002.

Not on collecting forums...  It's still the staple for those not witty enough to come up with the "blo(w)" part. :)

Honestly though I'm not overly happy with the exclusives...  I doubt many people are, so I don't blame anyone who maybe is looking for some of that cheese...  It does suck a little.  I think had it been the scout and R2-KT that it would've been better...  I'm still hung up on new figures at conventions on the West Coast where I cannot even afford to be a beggar much less enjoy a convention I think.

It is what it is though...  At least what is being offered is nice.  I actually don't mind the black scout trooper, ruiner, I just want a new bike at this point...  black scouts are cool to me but the bike eats it.

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2007, 11:46 AM »
I certainly will agree with you Jesse. Exclusive figs shouldn't be NEW figures. That severaly hampers the ablility of even the average fan, let alone we collectors to get the figure. Wouldn't it be better business practice to make them available to a wdier market?

Repaints are somthing that are not as desired and wouldn't neccessarily be as appealing to casual fans, kids, and some collectors. It would still be a desired piece at Cons because of exclusivity. However we wouldn't be cracking our skulls against the walls in frustration at Hasbro trying to ge this stuff.

While I have the money to buy from evilBay, I'd rather not resort to it. It just feuls the argument that scalpers have.

We are crazed fans for this stuff and instead of bidding a modest amount, we've "got to have it now" so many people will bid extremem amounts for stuff like this. What's really sad about it, is that it's turning regular fans into scalpers as well. They know they can makes a few extra bucks off the rest of us, so why not? Of course I personally hate that attitude.

So where does teh blame lie? With many, not just one. Hasbro for making them exclusives in the first place, scalpers among others for taking advantage of the fact, and many collectors for buying into the whole thing and bidding like mad.

It's a viscious cycle that I will be all to happy to see end some day. As much as Hasbro's stuff looks nice at the con (from the pics I've seen), they still manage a way to really pi$$ off their customers. And these exclusives are squarely marketed for collectors, not kids here because of the fact that it's a con exclusive. So they better not even dare to use that argument.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline poddie

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2007, 04:52 PM »
I thought of a good accessory to go with the exclusives: Cheese to go along with the whine.  ;D

I understand there is a fine line between whining and complaining.  To me, the difference is whether the complaint is valid or not.  In this case, I believe there is plenty of justification for it.

Obviously others have a differant opinion and consider it whining... I think most of these people have difficulty putting themselves in other's shoes.  They are often people that (a) already have a way to obtain the exclusives or (b) don't find the exclusives attractive or don't want them for some other reason.  And then since they don't understand the fuss (can't look at it from the perspective of the people who really are disappointed by it) they start calling it "whining".

Lack of empathy is an epidemic in the world today, and I think this is simply one further sign of it.

Offline ddschneider1972

• Youngling
  • Go Bucks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2007, 11:56 PM »
I think it all boils down to rarity. Sith Training Maul, Obi & Qui-gon were concept designs, the 3 mini vehicles were concepts. Red trimmed Maul was a concept...yet these were readily available. The original McQ trooper was tough to find, and the latest McFigs are so far 1 per case and BAM $20 on ebay minimum, then add to that rarity hype they feed it by adding MORE figures as over-priced exclusives. It's more hype now. Personally for myself,  I'm angry because I began my interest in design thanks to the art of Ralph McQuarrie, Joe Johnston, Nilos Rodis Jamero, et al. It's a set I've been clamoring for for years!

Another thing that kills me is if you ask Hasbro's Q&A "Why do you repaint and repack so many figures as store exclusives" they always say "it costs soooo much to create new tooling" yet they do it left and right for  the McQ figs...and these ain't figs with 5 pts of articulation. We have alternate heads, near SA posability, etc even TWO instances of TWO figures on a card.

Of course what you get from the Q&A one week isn't what you'll get in two weeks. My favorite was Yakface's Q today about the Grevous Starfighter...Hasbro says if it's in the toon they may consider it...I read that AFTER they announced it at C4. funny stuff. Always in motion the future is...except they also say they have a plan for up to 2 years in advance in some cases.   

"Modern Collectors are just Walmart Shoppers" -The new SW "Fan Club" President

They are right, everything is big in Texas, even the defeats...The Buckeyes are (still) #1!!!!!!!!