Author Topic: Convention Exclusives... Hasbro Sucks!  (Read 13443 times)

Offline Blackwolf13

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
    • Omaha Fan Force
Re: San Diego Comic Con Exclusives... Hasbro Sucks!
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2007, 12:40 AM »
I thought of a good accessory to go with the exclusives: Cheese to go along with the whine.  ;D

I understand there is a fine line between whining and complaining.  To me, the difference is whether the complaint is valid or not.  In this case, I believe there is plenty of justification for it.

Obviously others have a differant opinion and consider it whining... I think most of these people have difficulty putting themselves in other's shoes.  They are often people that (a) already have a way to obtain the exclusives or (b) don't find the exclusives attractive or don't want them for some other reason.  And then since they don't understand the fuss (can't look at it from the perspective of the people who really are disappointed by it) they start calling it "whining".

Lack of empathy is an epidemic in the world today, and I think this is simply one further sign of it.

Ya know, if you took it personally and can't take it in the spirit it was intended the I don't know what to tell you other than get a helmet & deal with it. The world's a rough place. Not everybody plays nice. My sympathy & empathy only go so far. Self-pity is a sad thing to watch. After having gone to the 3 previous Celebrations, I didn't get to go to this one. Instead of sitting around bitching about it, I got on with my life. I was disappointed things didn't work out in my favor, but such is life.

You'll notice the smiley there on the end. The comment was meant tongue in cheek, much like the title of the thread. My whine is "Hasbro has too much cool stuff coming out! How am I supposed to get it all and keep a roof over my head?". I understand you're upset that you don't have an avenue to obtain the figs like some of the rest of us.  I understand your gripe that they won't be available elsewhere. If you want them that bad, go find them. If you're patient I bet you can either find one on Ebay at a reasonable price within a year or find a kind soul on this board who'll trade with you for one. There's always a way. Someone(Darth Slothus maybe?) asked you earlier if you asked anyone here who was going to hook you up. You said you shouldn't have to. Right there you've eliminated an option. Look through the feedback for the traders. I'm sure you could've found someone trustworthy enough to take care of you. Sure, it may have been a bad idea to have McFigs as exclusives but if you want them bad enough you'll find a way to get them. Suck it up, grow a pair and start looking. Until Hasbro says on no uncertain terms "There is no way we'll allow you to get one of these unless you go to C4 or know someone who is..." don't give up hope. As a number of folks here have said, Hasbro probably wouldn't have gone to the expense of making all new figures as exclusives if they didn't have plans to release them elsewhere later on down the line. I doubt the numbers sold @ C4 will justify the cost to just leave them alone afterwards and not revisit them in different packaging, new paint apps and a new coin. They'd be foolish not to.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2007, 12:42 AM by Blackwolf13 »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2007, 01:39 AM »
I think people care, poddie, they just are kind of tired of the same old gripe...  Myself included, and I even am fairly vocal about a distinct dislike for (at least) all-new figures as exclusives...  But that's me.  I think people in general agree, but it's like scalpers...

How many times can you cite them as a flaw?  They suck, they're out there, some people have it worse with them than others...  That's really exclusives in a nutshell too.  They suck, they're out there, and some of us have it worse with them than others (though I strongly suggest to EVERYONE on JD to network and try to get help obtaining them from friends going to the show, that's what sites like ours are supposed to be for at the very foundation...  collectors helping collectors...  Hell we do this crap for free but hope it's a "help" ya know?).

At the end of the day though it's just "life" in this hobby...  I hate a lot of repacks too.  I point that out and then that's all there is to it I guess...  Ya go along and accept it's a strong likelihood you'll see more so you (hopefully) can plan around it or a way through it.  It's not a lack of empathy I think, as much as it's a lack of wanting to hear it, again, from some...  But don't let things get to you too, I think is a strong message people are saying as well.  It's not worth it...  You have to just try to find that way to get what you want if you want it that badly.

Dunno if that's making any sense or not I guess...  Just trying to play devil's advocate.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Artoo

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Lucky catch
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2007, 03:28 PM »
I agree, I really want the Shadow Scout, Concept Obi & Yoda, R2-KT & especally Concept Grievous (since I love Grievous).
KAY-BEE STANDARD RESPONSE:  "All we have is 1990's 'Robocop' toys."
WHICH MEANS:  "Holy ******* ****, please shoot m

Offline poddie

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2007, 03:51 PM »
On the bright side, I see HasbroToyShop now has the Luke available.

Wish Hasbro hadn't lied (didn't they say they would be available a few months after the con or something like that?), but at least they're out there now.  I suppose we can hope that they merely "changed their minds" instead of outright lying... yeah... right.

On the down side, it looks like so far they weren't wrong about R2 and 3PO... no sign of them yet.

As far as people getting tired of hearing about it... I don't go into every thread on the boards and post "that's nice... but Hasbro SUCKS".  I try to only post my complaints in relevant threads.  And I think one can hardly go into a thread that literally contains the phrase "Hasbro Sucks" in the title (even if posted in jest) and not expect to see any negative comments.  The reverse is also true, of course... I can't expect there to not be any people who have an oposing viewpoint in this thread.  And that's fine... I am certainly not wounded by it (despite what Blackwolf seems to think), but I did want to make a general point that if people were a little more sensitive to things it would be a nicer world.  You never know when someone who is reading might take away a bit of a message about caring for other human beings and thinking about someone other than themselves, rather than jumping on the "what a whiner" bandwagon and blasting away.

I also try to give Hasbro credit where I can, like with their superior showing at C4 of all the amazing upcoming products.

But everyone is certainly welcome to their own opinion.

Offline poddie

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2007, 04:03 PM »
...get a helmet & deal with it.
The world's a rough place.
Not everybody plays nice.
My sympathy & empathy only go so far.
Self-pity is a sad thing to watch.
...Suck it up, grow a pair and start looking.

I'm pretty sure you're that guy on the highway zipping past me going 95 while slamming through 4 lanes of traffic with no signal and forcing me to slam on the breaks and hope my wife doesn't fly through the windshield.  I think you've pretty much summed up my feelings about where people are today with empathy and caring for others.  Thanks for the help making my point! :)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2007, 11:22 PM »
Wish Hasbro hadn't lied (didn't they say they would be available a few months after the con or something like that?), but at least they're out there now.  I suppose we can hope that they merely "changed their minds" instead of outright lying... yeah... right.

I don't think they honestly could have done it another way and maintained any excitement over the figure for con-goers.  I think they told as much of the truth as they wanted to and could without adversely affecting C4 sales. 

On the down side, it looks like so far they weren't wrong about R2 and 3PO... no sign of them yet.

I still maintain this will show up on SWS.com a day or so after C4 is over, as I have from the start.  If they've manufactured enough Luke's to drop on HTS.com without running through 8 hours later, there's little doubt in my mind that they'll have as much production for the droids as well, just don't expect a low price. 

I just wish someone had said this is what was likely to happen before it actually did ;)
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Blackwolf13

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
    • Omaha Fan Force
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2007, 12:51 AM »

I'm pretty sure you're that guy on the highway zipping past me going 95 while slamming through 4 lanes of traffic with no signal and forcing me to slam on the breaks and hope my wife doesn't fly through the windshield.  I think you've pretty much summed up my feelings about where people are today with empathy and caring for others.  Thanks for the help making my point! :)

This is the last I'm going to say and then I suggest we drop it: I drive like a sane person. I stay within the speed limit, don't cut people off and always, ALWAYS use my turn signal. I loathe people who drive like the ones you described especially when my kids are with me. As far as empathy and caring go, I care a lot for my fellow human beings. As an example of my goodwill and charity, I'll have you know just a week or so ago I gave ride to a total stranger. Lady missed her bus, asked if I'd give her a lift to the next stop which I gladly did. Plenty of other people would've said "no". There was a time when I would have as well, but I'm trying to be a better person than I used to be (much like Earl). Now that I'm done patting myself on the back, let me say this: This world would be a much better place if people weren't so damned sensitive about every little thing. The whole "people need to have more sympathy and empathy" is basically saying "I'm having a pity party for myself and I want everyone to console me, coddle me because my feelings are hurt and ask what they can do to make it all better." If there are options open to you (traders here, Ebay, etc...) and you don't exhaust those first, that's where my sympathy & empathy end. Without at least exploring those before hanging your head in your hands and crying you may as well give up before the race even starts. At least that's what I took from your statement. The point I'm trying to make is not "when the world gives you lemons, make lemonade", but when the world gives you lemons you throw them back and make the shot count. If Hasbro has pissed you off to the point you're considering getting out of the collecting game, instead of complaining abou it here, write a nasty-gram to Hasbro Corporate and state your concerns. I'm sure it'll get a better response from them and you won't have to deal with @$$holes like me ;D. Isn't half the fun of this hobby the thrill of the hunt? Hell, whether it's in a store or on-line, nothing is more thrilling for me than to find something I was never able to or never thought Id'd be able to score in the first place. As frustrated as I've been with Hasbro's distribution or lack there of, I've never considered ending my collecting. Instead, I put the stuff I can't find on my 'Wants' list and concentrate on getting what I can searching for the missing stuff on the side. That's just me, though. Do whatever helps you sleep at night.

As far as Hasbro "lying" about Luke not being available online right away, maybe the person who made the statement didn't have all the info regarding the plans for Luke. Maybe production numbers were high enough and sales @ C4 were/are low enough they can safely say "We have enough stock to be able to offer him right now rather than having to make everyone wait a few months for him." How pissed would you have been if they made Luke available for sale on-line right now nd then they come back & say "He's gonna be backordered for a few months. Sorry." For myself, I'd much rather have the pleasant surprise of getting that special figure sooner rather than later. Like Morgbug said, I bet the McDroids will be available sooner than you think.

That ends my rants. I say "end of subject" and wash my hands of it. I'm done. I have exclusives to figure out how to get.

Offline Darth_Ice

• Banned
  • Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2007, 07:52 AM »
Looks like its sold out over at Hasbro,for now,  but lets face it compared to exclusives you find at retail, these have to have a lower production #. And Im sure the littile convention sticker, will make the ones purchased at CIV more unique.  the R2/C3po 2 pak is another story, they have the freken StarWars Shop area kind of hidden. Its seprate from the rest of the vendors. So unless you know about this exclusive, which when I was in that store it was a deserted compared to the rest of the convention. The main area where the other vendors were located is INSANE!  As to your request that we help others who want these, I have already offered to help member Ook.  ;D

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2007, 03:26 PM »
Hasbro does suck for this. All four exclusives are awesome though and I need them all!!!
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline Darth_Ice

• Banned
  • Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2007, 02:25 PM »
Hasbro does suck for this. All four exclusives are awesome though and I need them all!!!
I asked one of the workers at the Hasbro booth about the CIV Luke, she said they most likey will sell out by the end of the last day..so they might mean there will not be that many at Hasbo.  I also noticed that StarWars shop had a both in the main Hall on SUnday and people weere buying the the 3po and R2 exclusives.

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2007, 03:32 PM »
That could be true since they were offering them at a liberal 6 per person on the first couple days. They probably realized their mistake a little too late and changed it to 2 per person and then ran out before the end of the show.

Funny though, when I bought my 2(could have bought up to 6) I recall seeing an open door to their stockroom that had cases stacked 9 high, 7 rows wide and 10 rows deep. Then, later in the afternoon, I noticed Hasbro stopped selling them for the rest of the day.

I know they didn't sell that many that day but rather were probably trying to make it last through the convention-which at 6 per customer was a doomed idea to start with :P.

DS

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2007, 04:03 PM »
Speaking of Comic Con Exclusives, sort of off topic though... if anyone is going and doesn't mind helping a guy out with the Commander Cody Mini Bust - let me know!   Now that C-IV is behind us it's time to cast a net for the next one...  8)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2007, 04:03 PM by Rob »

Offline Darth_Ice

• Banned
  • Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2007, 07:10 PM »
That could be true since they were offering them at a liberal 6 per person on the first couple days. They probably realized their mistake a little too late and changed it to 2 per person and then ran out before the end of the show.

Funny though, when I bought my 2(could have bought up to 6) I recall seeing an open door to their stockroom that had cases stacked 9 high, 7 rows wide and 10 rows deep. Then, later in the afternoon, I noticed Hasbro stopped selling them for the rest of the day.

I know they didn't sell that many that day but rather were probably trying to make it last through the convention-which at 6 per customer was a doomed idea to start with :P.

DS
Some of those might have the case of Wave 1 case they were also sellling. I kind of ike they were doing that considering the other vendors were charging an arm and leg for TAC figuers. I saw one McFett for $40.00!!

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2007, 07:54 PM »
Hmmm, did anyone bother to read the tags that were placed in front of the SDCC Exclusives?  You know, the ones that said they would also be available online? 

-R2-KT (great charity piece) will be available at both Star Wars Shop and Hasbro Toy Shop in addition to SDCC.

-McQuarrie Obi-Wan and Yoda will be sold at SDCC and on Hasbro Toy Shop

-Shadow Scout Trooper will be sold at SDCC and at Star Wars Shop

They're all being made available, so it is very far from being the end of the world.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2007, 07:55 PM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2007, 09:05 AM »
Can't say I like the temptation of wanting to put together a squad of Shadowbikers, but at least the other two aren't armybuilders.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."