Author Topic: EE "Elite Forces of the Republic" 14-Figure Set  (Read 133522 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: EE Mandalorian 14 Pack
« Reply #150 on: July 12, 2007, 01:10 AM »
I actually like the black Commando because of their appearance in EU separate of everything...  I've sort of been expecting an all-white set of Commandoes, and an all-black set of Commandoes, as both colors show up in EU somewhere, so I'm ok with that.

My disappointment lies in the fact that the figure is still a less than poseable one, and that has disappointed me with Scorch and the 7-pack figures in general...  So it's a bummer to not see the figure itself improved at all, especially since #41 legs fit the Commando if I'm not mistaken, and don't look hideous on it.

Minor gripe, I'm ok with this...  I actually like this more than the Mando-deco Clones, because at least this figure is from something that already existed in EU.

I'm at 3 I'm happy with and 2 I'm content to just get...  I'm still happy/optomistic for more cool ones.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 12, 2007, 01:16 AM »
I saw on EE's site that we can expect 6 of the 14 figures to have removable helmets, and I'd be surprised if we got any more mandalorians than those 6.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Adam_Pawlus

• Jedi Initiate
  • I hate baseball
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 12, 2007, 02:02 AM »

I like it though. 

You're in marketing, though. Should it not concern you that at least part of your consumer base's demand for Clonetroopers has been exhausted? While it may not be so for the majority of your potential customers... I think the reactions in this thread pretty clearly indicate that some of the older hands of the hobby aren't so pleased with yet more clone repaints. Eventually, the demand will be exhausted elsewhere.

I'm not trying to jump your ****, but how many more clones can we expect from this set? 3/14 is understandable. 7/14 probably will likely deter some folks from buying (mir selbst included, yo.)

The two Mandos are exciting, however. I will continue to hold out hope for this set to amount to something more than a few repainted Republic Commandos and Phase II troopers (and, Adam, you were right about the next figure being worthwhile ... Rev is grand!)

*shrugs*

So because my business card has the word "marketing" on it, my opinions as a collector no longer stand? :)

I still like it.  I think Rav and our black armored friend here are two of my favorites from the set.   You don't have to agree, and based on how well Clones are still selling given that they ship in huge, obscene numbers in the 30th Anniversary Collection (and the Saga Collection, and that Delta Squad set), well, there's definitely interest in them still, despite what a few posts on this thread may say.   

I mean, I used to write in my Q&A column how lame a figure BoShek would make if Hasbro ever did him-- and look how that turned out.   There's still a real interest in troopers and armored Star Wars figures in general, aside from aliens and droids, that's my favorite segment.   But hey, I like those goofy Target troopers we're going to get this Fall too.  Call me a sucker.

(Plus as someone in marketing, I get to see how the set is selling-- and it seems a lot of other fans like this set, too.)
--AP
16bit.com - Webmaster, Editor, Contributor
Entertaiment Earth - Marketing, Merchandising, Podcast
Galactichunter.com - Q&A, Figure of the Day, News

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 12, 2007, 02:34 AM »
I'm not surprised at all to see some clones in this set, just not too happy about the ones that have been shown so far.  The commando to me is a joke.  Just really looks like a lame custom to me.  I guess I think the shadow concept of troops is lame.

I'd like to see a few more Mandalorians for sure though.  And hopefully using the most current sculpts for kitbashing, and new sculpts too.  Heck a McQuarrie Fett in here painted with a regular Fett paint job would probably kick ass.

:P

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 12, 2007, 02:47 AM »
So because my business card has the word "marketing" on it, my opinions as a collector no longer stand? :)
I never claimed that they were somehow invalidated as a result of your position, so no.  :)

You don't have to agree, and based on how well Clones are still selling given that they ship in huge, obscene numbers in the 30th Anniversary Collection (and the Saga Collection, and that Delta Squad set), well, there's definitely interest in them still, despite what a few posts on this thread may say. 

This is a fact that I have previously acknowledged. However, why discount the so-called "few posts" of this thread? Whilst they are in fact minority opinions, they are nevertheless as valid as those of the majority. We're consumers too, afterall.

There's still a real interest in troopers and armored Star Wars figures in general, aside from aliens and droids, that's my favorite segment.   But hey, I like those goofy Target troopers we're going to get this Fall too.
I doubt anyone would deny that there is still a sincere interest in troopers in the Star Wars line. Yet, when a specific kind of trooper is produced in far greater quantities than others (id est, the Phase II/ROTS Clones), the risk of oversaturating the market should be appearant. I'm not saying that it will happen with this set (it is, in fact, rather unlikely to happen as a result of this set), but eventually the majority of consumers of which you spoke earlier will increasingly come to tire of the product. I think that has already happened to a certain degree, as evidenced by some of the posts in this thread. It isn't healthy for the brand, essentially.

Call me a sucker.
An argumentum ad hominem is quite often indicative of a lack of substance to said argument. No need for them here, mate! I certainly wouldn't seek to belittle your collecting habits, anyhow. Everyone has their own peculiarities (I like Death Star Troopers and Senators, for example.)
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #155 on: July 12, 2007, 03:05 AM »
I guess I think the shadow concept of troops is lame.

To be fair, a black Commando's been a pretty well received thing in EU lore though...  But I agree, I could do without the "Shadow Scout", the "Shadow Clone" and the like.  Even teh Shadow Stormtrooper was testing my patience despite being in actual EU materials...  The "slap some black paint on it" concept works for a time, but on things like the SDCC scout, it's really just overpriced gimmicking (It isn't accurate to a Storm Commando, so for me that's as bad a figure attempt as Gree was, or the 41st Elite Trooper, neither of which was an accurate sculpt).

The Commando's presence in a novel (I believe that are its origins) though sort of eases that sour taste of the "black paint gimmick" as it were.  I'm not in the camp though that is soured on the set with a few clone repaints mixed into it...

However, part of my easy-going-attitude on this set right now is A) the price, B) hope, and C) a general acceptance of some "made up" repainting on Clones, astromechs, and things of that ilk.  I'm the kind of guy that doesn't mind getting a couple extra purple Mace Clones, or orange AT-RT Drivers for his shelves...  I'm easy like that I guess.

At the same time I have my limits as well...  If the set turned out to be nothing but made up clone repaints the rest of the way through, like an orange #33 Commander repaint, etc., etc.  Then I think my patience on this set would wear out, and my business-sense would kick in where I would have to ask myself if buying the whole thing is worth it, or if I should just try to track down the Mandalorian figs separate and wash my hands of it... 

I'm in a weird spot though where stuff like this set intrigues me if nothing else, and I'm kinda cool with it, but at the same time I see how slippery a slope sets like this could become.  At the same time it could yield future greatness too.

Who, exactly, is writing the back story to this set and the characters (names, jobs, etc.) involved in it?  I'm curious about that...  Is it Hasbro?  Is Lucasfilm feeding the "story"?  I'm a little perplexed on all that jazz.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #156 on: July 12, 2007, 03:36 AM »
I could care less about the back story, I'm just hoping for some cool Mandos to make a decent squad out of behind Boba when I finally have a place to display my collection.

As far as the whole "the shadow trooper has been done to death" argument, I agree, but I think the dark painted clone commando maskes the most sense of the bunch.  I like the concept of the figure, but I too wish they had retooled the legs.  I think not super-articulating the clone commadoes has been the worst idea since the "no-neck" Maguilicutty rebel fleet trooper.

Adam, how finished are these sets?  Is there any chance for some last minute retooling?
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #157 on: July 12, 2007, 03:49 AM »
I think not super-articulating the clone commadoes has been the worst idea since the "no-neck" Maguilicutty rebel fleet trooper.

BTLS fan?   ???

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: July 12, 2007, 08:19 AM »

And Ruiner, since you told me to keep count we are at:

2 new tools
3 repaints

So far, you're closer to being right...

We're wagering a set right?

Ha!  I seem to recall saying that I have nothing to wager at that time...  I really need to make sure that post doesn't get deleted...
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: July 12, 2007, 09:19 AM »
I guess I'm a sucker because I like the troops painted in black.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #160 on: July 12, 2007, 10:03 AM »
I think this is an actual EU character so i am down with it.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #161 on: July 12, 2007, 11:27 AM »
For some reason, this figure looks more Star warsy in black.  I've never been crazy about the comados, as I see the whole game a Halo copy.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: July 12, 2007, 12:00 PM »
Based on the first 5 figs shown and the fact that there are still 9 more to go, I'm very happy with this set and will definitely get a couple of them.  :D
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: July 12, 2007, 12:08 PM »
It's hard to say no when each figure breaks down to $4.68 before shipping.

Offline jedipurge

• Jedi Apprentice
  • follow me on Instagram: VadersEmpire78
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: July 12, 2007, 12:32 PM »
Could some of these Mando's be coming from the Clone Wars cartoon coming out?  We've seen very little, and it being more then a 5 minute cartoon there's probably a lot of ground to cover for the cartoon to delve into.  Somebody after all has to keep training the newbies on Kamino.  Alpha on the poster has the "eye" markings on his helmet much like the #41 clones that are coming with the set.  I plan on buying the set regardless, just hoping Hasbro/EE aren't pulling these characters out of there  :-X
Harmless is the most dangerous of perceptions, you never expect it to strike.-Purge