Author Topic: EE "Elite Forces of the Republic" 14-Figure Set  (Read 133788 times)

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: EE Mandalorian 14 Pack
« Reply #195 on: July 17, 2007, 10:47 AM »
It looks like the Derryl Dred's left forearm looks transformerish?

DS

Offline roron corobb

• Jedi Padawan
  • May the Force be with You
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: July 17, 2007, 01:04 PM »
I think the oddest point of this whole set is the fact that EE states "14 never-before-made action figures" and I see 3 repaints. What is the deal with that? That "never-before-made" says to me that they are all new with no repack/repaint and they have made that figure before.

With what I have seen I think we are only going to see 3 more new figures as EE states "6 removable helmets" and they have shown 3 figures with removable helmets and they are the only new figures. I would stake money on the 6 new to 8 repack/repaint from what has been shown so far. Not many new things in this set so far with accessories even. Looks like only 5 new accessories with what as been seen. I can only hope they are holding the best for last.

Anyone know the average shipping charge to CA? Thanks

roron corobb
I'm one of the most well-regarded Ithorian Jedi Masters, having trained as Yarael Poof's Padawan. Roron Corobb
my feedback link

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #197 on: July 17, 2007, 01:23 PM »
I was actually hoping NOT to get a new SA Jango in this set...  Partially for the people who don't like the set in general but would like a Jango figure, but also because I'd rather have something like what we've already seen in the Jango slot than a new Jango.

That's not to say I don't want a new SA ultimate Jango though.  I think he's one of my most desired resculpts from E2 without a doubt, but I think Jango's like Boba...  He'd do fine at retail on a basic card, and so he should be a basic figure.  Especially because so many aren't into this set though as well, and he's a movie figure.  It'd suck to have to buy the set for one figure, so I don't wish that on anyone.  That's bad enough with pack-in figures and ships.  ::)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Adam_Pawlus

• Jedi Initiate
  • I hate baseball
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: July 17, 2007, 01:47 PM »
The name's funny and I guess Jayson beat me to the joke I had all worked up for this thread...  Good to know I wasn't the only one with priest jokes lined up.  But the figure's pretty nifty looking, even if it's basically a repaint of the first figure with maybe a different head.

Some other tooling/accessory changes as well, but well, it's not like I've seen the final final production figures yet-- so there should be some nifty differences between the two.

I think the oddest point of this whole set is the fact that EE states "14 never-before-made action figures" and I see 3 repaints. What is the deal with that? That "never-before-made" says to me that they are all new with no repack/repaint and they have made that figure before.

There's a whole big issue of "what constitutes new?" I bring up every now and again in my column, because it seems to vary depending on who you ask.  I'm going by the definition of new character = new figure, even if existing tooling is used.   If (***IF***) this set had a Jango Fett in it, to be a never-before-made figure, he'd need to use new tooling.  If (again, ***IF***) Jango was in this set and just a repack, that's not necessarily a new figure.   ***IF*** the set has an astromech droid in it, and it has a different name than a previous droid, and is in new colors, then I would count that as a new figure.   (If it had Anakin in it, and it switched heads with another Anakin, no, I don't think we'd call that new.   I would personally consider it new in my collection [like the 2005 Battle Pack head swaps] but I wouldn't market it as such.)

It's not quite like discussing what the definition of "is" is, but for the sake of what *I* consider new, these figures qualify.  New names, new squads, new armor, sure.  New hat, not so much.

Yes!   Canada or California?  Either way, you can find a full list of rates here.  It's based on the price of the order, not weight, so you can pretty much figure it out exactly.
--AP
16bit.com - Webmaster, Editor, Contributor
Entertaiment Earth - Marketing, Merchandising, Podcast
Galactichunter.com - Q&A, Figure of the Day, News

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: July 17, 2007, 01:50 PM »
Something tells me he's(Jango) really not in here, Jesse, anyway since these are 'never before made' figs. Sure, I guess you can repaint something and then say it's totally new and never before made. It happens in all of industry. I agree with Jesse though-not wanting to see Jango in here either and I don't believe we will.

Something to wonder though...I'm seeing a recurring trend toward clone training re-emphasized in here over and over. The Mando's all appear to be some form of clone trainer. I wonder if it's possibly to connect with Hasbro's #55 figure coming out later in the year-to force a surge in buying(not that folks wouldn't anyway considering it's a good looking fig). Perhaps Hasbro could come out with a Kamino cloning facility playset as well to connect the dots....hmmm? Just specualation , folks.

DS

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #200 on: July 17, 2007, 01:57 PM »
In the Wookieepedia description of Dred Priest it says:

Dred spent his previous life challenging himself and his men to create elite soldiers through brutal training competitions. He was chosen by Jango Fett to train clone troopers on Kamino, which he did by secretly forming Battle Circles.

Previous life?

Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: July 17, 2007, 02:00 PM »
uh, yeah. When he was a free man before becoming enslaved by Jango and the Separatists. :P

DS

Offline Darth Gamboa

• Jedi Initiate
  • "Aren't you a little fat to be a stormtrooper?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: July 17, 2007, 02:22 PM »
I wouldn't mind seeing Jango in this set if he was sculpted without his armor (ala Clone #55) just to see something different. Maybe give him a staff to train close combat.
...of the Fifth Southside Tactical Marching Squadron

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #203 on: July 17, 2007, 02:24 PM »
I'm assuming his career prior to Kamino?  Or he's all into reincarnation maybe.

About the armor-less Jango you mentioned Gamboa, he's coming with the AOTC wave, unless you meant a Jango in the black body glove under-armor Clones wear?
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Artoo

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Lucky catch
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: July 17, 2007, 02:25 PM »
I'm definately thinking about going to Ebay for extras to do customs.  
KAY-BEE STANDARD RESPONSE:  "All we have is 1990's 'Robocop' toys."
WHICH MEANS:  "Holy ******* ****, please shoot m

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #205 on: July 17, 2007, 03:35 PM »
Dred spent his previous life challenging himself and his men to create elite soldiers through brutal training competitions. He was chosen by Jango Fett to train clone troopers on Kamino, which he did by secretly forming Battle Circles.

Once again, I believe it's all a a coy reference to Derryl DePriest...

Dred (Derryl) spent his previous life (aka his job before he joined the Star Wars team) challenging himself and his men to create elite soldiers (aka he was the Marketing Director of GI Joe).   :P

Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #206 on: July 17, 2007, 03:40 PM »
Ahhh. I see now.   ;)
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: July 17, 2007, 04:21 PM »
I think he's one of my most desired resculpts from E2 without a doubt, but I think Jango's like Boba...  He'd do fine at retail on a basic card, and so he should be a basic figure.

You are right Jesse, Jango would do very well at retail I think.  That's one of the resculpts I'd want the most from the prequels (alongside Qui-Gon), and I hope we do see one in the near future.  With all of these different Mandalorians we're starting to see now, including the plethora of Fetts this year, I think a new Jango should be pretty easy to put together for Hasbro.

Offline roron corobb

• Jedi Padawan
  • May the Force be with You
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: July 17, 2007, 10:08 PM »

There's a whole big issue of "what constitutes new?" I bring up every now and again in my column, because it seems to vary depending on who you ask.  I'm going by the definition of new character = new figure, even if existing tooling is used.   If (***IF***) this set had a Jango Fett in it, to be a never-before-made figure, he'd need to use new tooling.  If (again, ***IF***) Jango was in this set and just a repack, that's not necessarily a new figure.   ***IF*** the set has an astromech droid in it, and it has a different name than a previous droid, and is in new colors, then I would count that as a new figure.   (If it had Anakin in it, and it switched heads with another Anakin, no, I don't think we'd call that new.   I would personally consider it new in my collection [like the 2005 Battle Pack head swaps] but I wouldn't market it as such.)

It's not quite like discussing what the definition of "is" is, but for the sake of what *I* consider new, these figures qualify.  New names, new squads, new armor, sure.  New hat, not so much.

I understand your point on the new figures, but I don't look at it that way. If I can make a figure with the parts/accessories or figure already out with a minor paint mod, it doesn't constitutes new for me. Which reflects in my collecting big time these days. I'm not saying I won't get a set. It's just some of the figures that I will have to trade or sell because I'm not into them because I have a Commando and many Clones. If they had something new to them other than paint I would feel different. I'll have to wait for the final product, but I don't really see much changing if anything.

New names, new squads, new armor, sure.
Only if they are new sculpts for me. They can name a Clone or any other figure they wish to repack/repaint all they want, but unless there is something new just doesn't cut it for the "new" figure in my book. Would have been cool to see some new accessories offered with the repack/repaints at least.

Yes!   Canada or California?  Either way, you can find a full list of rates here.  It's based on the price of the order, not weight, so you can pretty much figure it out exactly.

Thank you for the shipping informations. As they are not that badly priced at $5.50 average per figure for me in California, but not sure if sale tax applies or not. If it doesn't still not that bad as the figures in the basic line run around 7+ in my neck of the woods. I'll be getting one set for that at least.

roron corobb
I'm one of the most well-regarded Ithorian Jedi Masters, having trained as Yarael Poof's Padawan. Roron Corobb
my feedback link

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: July 18, 2007, 12:36 AM »
What?!?!?!?!?!

A new figure and it doesn't have boobies.  Sheesh ::)
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.