Author Topic: 30AC AT-AP Pod Walker  (Read 27417 times)

Offline JangoTat

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: AT-PT Pod Walker
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2007, 11:32 AM »
im down for one of these. maybe even two.
School has been on strike all month. so much for the summer job I was hoping to get D:

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2007, 03:18 PM »
This ship was an unexpected surprise, in my opinion it is yet to be seen whether it was a good surprise or not.   :-\
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2007, 11:43 AM »
If that's them, Hasbro should have made this the size of their AT-AT toy.

Then how big do you think the AT-TE is supposed to be when Hasbro eventually gets around to it???

Giving toy scale sizes, I think nearly everyone would be happy with an AT-TE that is the same size as the AT-AT only half as tall. The pricepoint is the sticking point here. If Zizzle can make a Black Pearl playset for $60, then Hasbro should darn well be able to do the same thing for the AT-TE. Especially consdiering there will be more opportunity for multiple purchases for this ship vs the Black Pearl for instance.

At teh size I gave, I can see the pricepoint being $60-80. At $60 I'd buy 3. At $80 I'd only buy 2.

Hasbro please be REASONABLE with the pricepopint here. You CAN do it.

Besides, you (Hasbro) have been promising this to us for years now. You first said if it had a role in ROTS you'd make it. It did and you didn't. Then you said, well if it was in the cartoon you'd make it. It did and you didn't. Now you've said well if it's in the CG show you would. It is....will you now???

Please do not disappoint us on the vehicle. The AT-TE is far and away the most desired ground vehicle from Star Wars to be made into a toy.

I ran a poll on another site I belong to and it clearly won. In each tier that is was in it consistently beat out the competing ship by at least a 5 to 1 margin. In some case 10 to 1.

The AT-TE MUST be done.

Okay to the size of the ship more specifically and what it should include:
• Same size as AT-AT (half the height)
• Rotating cannon on top that can fit the AT-TE gunner (makes sense don't you think)
• ALL six ball turret (4 in front and 2 in back) can rotate fully-If LEGO can do it so can Hasbro)
• Opening cockpit to hold two drivers.
• Mid-section panels come off to hold at least four clones
• Rear section panels come off to hold two clones.
• all six legs are fully articulated

Things the set could have (but would make it more expensive so are not really neccessary):
• Electronics
• Two exclusive AT-TE driver figures
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
Re: AT-AP Walker
« Reply #18 on: June 2, 2007, 10:50 PM »
The issues of scale and large vehicles are not matters that Hasbro can control.  They want to do more vehicles and I'd venture a strong guess that they would like to produce the large vehicles.  The sticking point is WalMart.  WalMart is dictating a lot of what toy companies can and cannot do.  They're not willing to give Hasbro's Star Wars group the shelf space for large vehicles at this time.  Their reasoning?  There's no movie to promote that merchandise, hence there will be less shelf space devoted to that product line.

Why is this such a problem?  Because WalMart is the largest retailer of toys in the United States.  And with that financial power comes the power to sway what is and is not part of the Star Wars toy line.  WalMart is constantly pressuring their suppliers to keep costs down so that they can sell their products for as low a price as possible.  And their extensive market penetration means that they have a strong influence on what gets made and what does not.  If they decide that Star Wars only gets 2 feet of shelfspace, then that's what they get.  Hasbro can't afford financially to produce a vehicle with the intention of selling it only at K-Mart, Target, Toys R Us & KayBee.  WalMart has to be part of the equation because they need the line to sell everywhere.

The reason why Zizzle can do the Black Pearl?  There's a movie to promote the line, and a lot more shelfspace at the major retailers.  And the name of this vehicle is the AT-AP.  Hasbro made a typo on their powerpoint presentation.

As for the AT-TE?  I was very pleased to see it prominently features in the new Clone Wars trailer.  Perhaps if it gets a lot of play in the show we'll get one in 2008/09.
« Last Edit: June 3, 2007, 05:04 PM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 3, 2007, 12:04 AM »
Nicklab, not one week ago, I would have agreed with your statement. However with new reports of W*M's downfall regarding low quality good is making me think they are going to loose some of this power. Yes, low quality goods are nothing new from W*M, but the low sales figures and layoffs are.

Hasbro CAN afford to market ships to other vendors. Maybe make a shared exclusive. Or just plain sell to those stores who will order from them. Then there's also the online market.  With so many e-tailors out there, there's PLENTY of options.

IIRC, I saw or read a report on law suits against W*M. Not just the labor relations suits that are climbing, but somethign to do with their products they sell.

Wal Mart is a neccessary evil, but they do not need to be all powerful. Granted a company that stands up to W*M runs the risk of losing them as a buyer and that can be devastating. But one ship or figure here or there has proven not to be a problem.

Hasbro can contril some of this, they just have to be crafty in how they do it.

In reality I think the problem with large vehicles is more about finding a way to produce them inexpensively yet in a fair size to appease us.

I'm all for an AT-TE. My buying price would be $60, so I'd get three. If it's more $'s and is a good ship, I can see it go for $80. Any more than that and Hasbro is asking for trouble for themselves.

I guess time will tell with regards to W*M, but I still believe Hasbro can get it done. They just need to be smart about it.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #20 on: June 3, 2007, 03:50 PM »
The Black Pearl was also possible because Zizzle knew that they had two films back to back, so that the toy would be on shelves for close to two years.  I'm guessing with the CW TV show, we'll get out Prequel walker. 
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 4, 2007, 10:37 AM »
The Black Pearl was also possible because Zizzle knew that they had two films back to back, so that the toy would be on shelves for close to two years.  I'm guessing with the CW TV show, we'll get out Prequel walker. 

Agreed, on the Black Pearl point.

Here's hoping on the Walker point.

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 4, 2007, 10:50 AM »
(what's the deal with calling it an AT-TP?  That bugs me).

No, I'll tell you what's not right. The dumbass name of this thread is not right. :P

A true AT-PT is an imperial "chicken walker" -a 1 person manned, micro imperial concept walker introduced in 'rogue squadron' the PC game and not seen in any of the SW films.

Thread title should be AT-AP pod walker. ::)

The upper gun does look dumb, Jesse

DS

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #23 on: June 5, 2007, 12:49 AM »
Yeah the gun kills me a little.  :)  Easily removed though... 

About the "chickenwalker" thing, that's actually the AT-ST's nickname...

I wonder if the PT would be a good place for Hasbro to dip its toe in EU vehicles right now, and see how they do?  I'd build up a nice little pile of AT-PT's actually because of games like Rogue Squad like you mentioned, and a few others that use the PT extensively.

It's so small, you could pack 2 of 'em to-scale in a $20 box practically. :)  I'd settle for one to-scale one in the $15 pricepoint should they roll that one back (it was popular, I don't know why they haven't tried that actually) out of the closet.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline roron corobb

• Jedi Padawan
  • May the Force be with You
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 5, 2007, 03:21 AM »
The reason the gun mount on top looks odd as that is to scale as the rest of it is under sized. This thing should be about 3 times the size they made it. It's cool that they are making other not seen offent vehicles, but I won't be picking one up do to the size thing.

roron corobb
I'm one of the most well-regarded Ithorian Jedi Masters, having trained as Yarael Poof's Padawan. Roron Corobb
my feedback link

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 5, 2007, 04:07 AM »
I'll get 2-3 of these.  I know it's not to scale, but to me it's better than not getting the vehicle made at all.  If everything were made to scale, who would have room (or the money) for them?  The AT-AT would be bigger than me!   ;D

:P

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 5, 2007, 10:23 AM »
Yeah the gun kills me a little.  :)  Easily removed though... 

About the "chickenwalker" thing, that's actually the AT-ST's nickname...

Well, I guess it's a nickname used twice then. In Rogue Squadron, the mission planner for the mission that you are supposed to steal these to your base states they are ATPT 'chicken walkers'. So whatever.

But yeah, I'd like them to make them, like you said they would be really small, could you imagine though...a dozen of these followed by four AT-ST then 2 ATAT? That would look cool!

DS

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #27 on: June 7, 2007, 07:53 PM »
Sorry to be a putz but the AT-PT actually debuted in Dark Force Rising and didn't show up in Rogue Squadron until later.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/All_Terrain_Personal_Transport
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 7, 2007, 08:58 PM »
Nerds.
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: 30AC AT-PT Pod Walker
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2007, 06:17 AM »

I was always under the impression this thing was supposed to be bigger. [That's what she said] I still think it is a pretty neat looking vehicle though. I may try to pick up two of these. Supposedly it fits three figures so I would think that the paneling on the sides opens up to reveal a cockpit somehow. Movie/EU accurate or not this is one I actually like. Normally scale issues bug me, not as much as Jesse but I still get annoyed, but for some reason I really don't care on this guy.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2007, 10:31 AM by Jeff »
"This is the way."