Author Topic: Questions regarding Zuckuss and Gands in general...  (Read 3808 times)

Offline Straxus

• Jedi Initiate
  • Flaming Human Torso Productions
    • View Profile
    • My MYSPACE page
Questions regarding Zuckuss and Gands in general...
« on: February 28, 2007, 05:10 PM »
I am curious if the tan "exoskeleton" we see on Zuckuss is an environmental encounter suit or his exoskeleton? I have found a reference image of a gand (from the Rogue Squadron Comic I beleive...) that shows what the face looks like without the breathing aparatus, but it looks like it might be a slightly different look to the head also. Another point is that on Zuckuss, the breathing aparatus looks integrated to the face, leaving me to beleive that it is an encounter suit.
Does anyone have any information on this? Wikipedia and Wookipedia seem kinda vague on the subject (not to mention if its even accurate at all...)
The reason I want to know this, is because in the future, I plan on sculpting up some various Gand figures, but wanted to give them removable helmets, if the exoskeleton we see is actually an encounter suit.
The reference from the comic I found was only in black and white, so I dont know if they character's skin/exoskeleton color is different with/without the breathing aparatus making it harder to determine. Could anyone who might have these comics tell me if there is anymore information on this? I would so very much appreciate the help.
...carbon stars with ancient satellites colonized by sentient fungi. Gas giants inhabited by vast meteorological intelligences. Worlds stretched thin across the membranes where dimensions intersect...

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
Re: Questions regarding Zuckuss and Gands in general...
« Reply #1 on: March 2, 2007, 10:42 PM »
"Off-planet, Zuckuss had to wear a special breathing mask to protect him from harmful oxygen. He also wore a set of battle armor under his heavy cloak and hung a computer and sensor array on straps around his neck." SW Encyclopedia

This isn't even close to definitive, but it sounds to me like he's covered by gear completely.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #2 on: March 3, 2007, 01:53 AM »
That seems to cover what we see under his robe (on the figure) is likely battle armor though...  It's acceptable to me as an answer anyway.  Good sleuth work on that.  I had read this topic and had 0 answer to it, haha.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #3 on: March 5, 2007, 01:53 AM »
I figured that the tan stuff we see on his head was his actual exoskeleton, and the breathing apparatus was just sort of tucked in around his mandibles.

Ooryl from Rogue Squadron:

Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline Straxus

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • My MYSPACE page
« Reply #4 on: March 5, 2007, 02:02 AM »
Does anyone know what comic and issues he was in?

EDIT -
Also does anyone have any decent color pics of him? Like variations on his flight uniform and did he have a flight helmet?
« Last Edit: March 6, 2007, 02:01 AM by Straxus »
...carbon stars with ancient satellites colonized by sentient fungi. Gas giants inhabited by vast meteorological intelligences. Worlds stretched thin across the membranes where dimensions intersect...

Offline Smartypants1635

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Sith empire
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2007, 10:32 PM »
There are two types of Gand though, Ooryl was a type of gand who atcually didn't need to breath, and his voice was created by exoskeleton plates vibrating. Quite interesting actually. Most Gand do need a gass mask though. It just depends on the sub species

Offline findswoman

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • The Findswoman Collection
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2007, 11:53 AM »
Straxus, great question -- it's something I've been wondering about too, since I've done a number of Gand customs, and have attempted some without masks.  (And I would love to see yours, too. :) )

Whatever mask or helmet Zuckuss is wearing, it seems to (a) have many of the same organic looking creases, etc. as he does (which seems funny for a helmet) and/or (b) be the same color as he is.  I've always considered that the bit around his neck with the tubes and the black & silver bit of the mask over his mouth are certainly artificial, but it's never been clear how much else is natural and how much not.

Interestingly, the new bust by Gentle Giant almost seems to clarify this issue.  In this piece, it looks as though the mask goes over his eyes & includes goggles, too -- that are the same color as his chitin & with somewhat similar contours -- but doesn't cover the top of his head.  At least that I thought -- here's a photo:

So that curved sort of brown flap right left of his eye could be interpreted the edge of a mask that covers his eyes and mouth and matches his natural coloring.  Just a thought. 

Much of it has to do with the question: other than respiratory equipment, how much protetction do Gands really need in an oxygenous atmosphere?  Does the oxygen get in between their chitin plates and itch, for example?  Would it do so on the head?  There are several RPG stats, etc., on their heavy natural armor, even on the fact that their eyes are armored.  So it seems that even a partial mask could well be superfluous -- in which case maybe just the breathing mask and "collar" are the artificial bits.  Personally, I like having as much as possible be natural!  :D

Incidentally, just for fun, here's a neat sort of hypothetical "anatomical drawing" of a breathing Gand which my friend Beedo Sookcool made some years back when we were discussing these issues with regard to a fanfic of mine on Zuckuss's early years that is still in progress.  He calls it "The Visible Gand." (Either that, or "Zuck nekkid." :D )

... the Findswoman

Offline Straxus

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • My MYSPACE page
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2007, 02:56 PM »
Wow! That is really cool!
Though I have not been working on the Gand project, I will eventually resume it. It was origionaly for a customs contest that is over.
Thanks for the reference images and the input!

Offline findswoman

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • The Findswoman Collection
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2007, 10:40 PM »
You're most welcome!  Glad to help. 

Do show us your Gand custom(s) when you finish them -- I would be very interested to see!  Are they of particular charcters, or just sort of generalized?

... the Findswoman

Offline Straxus

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • My MYSPACE page
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2007, 05:29 AM »
For the contest (long since over that I did not get entry in for) I was going to make Ooryl from Rogue Squadron (posted up above by Nathan)

When I get back arround to it, I was just thinking about making a few varieties of Gand. Or at least sculpting up some various heads to cast and hopefully eventually make available to the community to use.