Author Topic: New JD Review: 30 AC Galactic Marine  (Read 8359 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
New JD Review: 30 AC Galactic Marine
« on: May 31, 2007, 02:37 AM »
Welp, Celebration IV is wrapped (wrapping actually, for some) up, and what better way to unwind than to read my reviews, right?  Right...  So, up for examination this week is the...  The Galactic Marine!

Clicky To Read Review!

A figure with much talk buzzing around him even before his release, any Clone of this caliber is gonna be hot.  Needless to say, your army building may have been difficult thus far, as he's one of the first of this assortment to disappear.  The new sculpt, the articulation, the paint aps, the removable helmet, the gear...  Hasbro has a doozey of a figure on their hands.  One of the finer incarnations of the Republic's forces.

Not without his flaws though, as the Republic Marine's got a weird design flaw at the knees that make his poseability a little difficult (just slightly) for standing straight up and down, and his weapon is beyond rubbery.  Hasbro most definitely cheaped out on the plastic this time, and that sucks considering how good a job they did with this rifle's sculpt originally in the Evolutions packs.

Is it a deal breaker?  Well I'll save the drum roll and simply say no, but there are some flaws there... Read the full review to check out what worked and what Hasbro could improve.  I'd buy this figure again with a new (older) headsculpt on it, better accessory, maybe different battle damage, and a cloth Kama...  Wouldn't you?
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline JangoTat

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: New JD Review: 30 AC Galactic Marine
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2007, 06:30 AM »
great figure. 12 was more then enough to satisfy me. :)
School has been on strike all month. so much for the summer job I was hoping to get D:

Offline Rune Haako

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2007, 09:33 AM »
I have 4, it's an AWESOME figure! ;D

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007, 09:45 AM »
I've opened 5 and all seem to have a standing problem. :P Great looking figure otherwise.

Great review as always.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2007, 03:43 PM »
I swear Anthony I think I know what you're talking about but I've been able to make all of mine stand...  I think I have maybe 8 or 10, i forget (It's been a bad couple weeks, haha), but I can get them all standing ok...  And at attention, or running...  My favorite pose with him's been this sort of crouched firing pose.  The skirt doesn't inhibit this movement much.

I'd buy a 2nd Marine with a cloth Kama someday though.  I dig the figure and would love a pile more with a little more mobility...  Still, I'm happy as-is too.  I think he's my favorite of Wave 1.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 1, 2007, 09:04 AM »
I swear Anthony I think I know what you're talking about but I've been able to make all of mine stand...  I think I have maybe 8 or 10, i forget (It's been a bad couple weeks, haha), but I can get them all standing ok...  And at attention, or running...  My favorite pose with him's been this sort of crouched firing pose.  The skirt doesn't inhibit this movement much.

I'd buy a 2nd Marine with a cloth Kama someday though.  I dig the figure and would love a pile more with a little more mobility...  Still, I'm happy as-is too.  I think he's my favorite of Wave 1.

I'll agree with you here Jesse. This is an excellent figure. Minor flaws, but for me they are easily overlooked, except that dang rifle. Thankfully I have plenty of extra rifles from battle packs, so I can swpa the lower grade ones out for the better ones.

One thing I like is that the "dirt" on them isn't so uniform, so these actually look a little differnt from figure to figure.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline Resurrection Bob

• Youngling
  • All new likeness!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 2, 2007, 04:31 PM »
I also like the differences in the paint - I have two and they're far from identical.

I'm having trouble with something, though: I can't loosen some of the hip joints.  I'm usually pretty good at loosening up joints, and have never had a figure break on me, but I just can't get these ones.  The plastic just bends and the legs return to their original position when I let go.  Should I be tossing these guys in a freezer or something before trying again?

Offline Imperialscum

• Youngling
  • Soy una llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 3, 2007, 01:37 AM »
I only have six, they look great together.
Great review, great figure
Que la fuerza te acompańe!

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 3, 2007, 09:56 AM »
I only have six, they look great together.
Great review, great figure

They do don't they. I've got a nice company of a little over 20. (I think 23 at last count). With the varied "dirt" on them, they look much more realistic than the typical applied battle damage that's so prevalent on all the other clones.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #9 on: June 4, 2007, 01:23 AM »
Thanks guys...

About loosening up the legs, what I'd do is a quick "boil & pop".  Boil some water, drop him in, pop him apart, and then reboil the lower torso part and reinsert the legs.  He should be pretty loosened up.  I was able to get mine mobile from just running spicket water (hot) over the legs to soften them and move them.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2007, 09:04 PM »
As an addendem to my last post, I pulled out my clones to do a little organizing and messed around with the 5 Marines that I have opened. If you look at the feet, they're not flat, they bulge in the center of the flat of the foot, which is why mine are so hard to stand.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline blaster_e11

• Jedi Initiate
  • Charming to the last
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2007, 03:20 AM »
i've only got 4 of them and i'm happy with them

too bad bacara sucks so much

at least they look good with the ROTS ki-adi-mundi
"Wars don't make one great"

Offline Clones

• Youngling
  • Not your average clone
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2007, 11:35 PM »
Got this one at Forbidden Planet's shop in Lower Manhattsn. Great figure I'll say. The standing problem is an issue, but after adjusting the pose I had him in I found a way to make him stand.
-Clones-

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2007, 06:37 PM »
Ive got two of this figure. He is definitely the best of Wave 1, up there with SBD.
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!