Author Topic: Simple pleasures  (Read 11903 times)

Offline MisterPL

• Jedi Padawan
  • Sarcastic instigator at large.
    • View Profile
Simple pleasures
« on: June 10, 2003, 11:28 AM »
Consider this the anti-pet peeve thread... er, thread.

Life's just full of simple pleasures and dang it all, let's not take 'em for granted. Here are some of mine:

- Opening toys: Any toy, not just "collectibles." Maybe it's the smell (yes, I huff). And as much as I loathe twist ties, I'm getting a giddy satisfaction from braiding them into one giant cable. (When life gives you lemons...)

- Bag fries: I go to McDonald's or Wendy's, order a chicken combo meal with a Coke™, and just when I think I'm done eating, there are always a few fries left at the bottom of the bag. Manna from Heaven.

- Hugs: Unsolicited, unconditional, unexpected hugs. My two-year-old is getting pretty good at it, but her 10-year-old brother's got it down pat. Family hugs are cool, too, when the four of us gather in a small circle in one big embrace and squeeze 'til our sternums pop. Need a hug?  ;)

Your turn.  ;D
Post sober.

Offline Reconsgt

• Jedi Apprentice
  • De Oppresso Liber
    • View Profile
Re: Simple pleasures
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2003, 12:48 PM »
Well a couple of my simple pleasures are since we bought out house just being able to sit in my own backyard and have a beer. No more apartment living,loud neighboors and endless blacktop. We are 20 minutes out of town so it is usually quiet and peacefull. I get to go into the garage and work on my other hobbies. My old cars.

I actually enjoy the ride home. I get a chance to listen to some toons and unwind before I get my to do list from the wife ;)

Other simple pleasures, Hot chocolate pudding. Guinness and a cigar. Cleaning out the pants before the wash and finding money you didn't know you had. Even better if its more than  5 bucks.
Wayne Roberts or you can call me Sarge

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Star Wars collection
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2003, 12:48 PM »
Here are a few of mine:

Sleeping in on Weekend mornings.  I've been really busy, so I haven't had a chance to do this lately, but I really enjoy a nice leisurely morning on my days off. Waking up around 10 or so....then going out to breakfast.

Playing video games with my nephews and neice.  They live in CA, so I don't get to do this much. They're getting to the age where they're actually really good....and that's a lot of fun. Especially when they make it challenging. No more throwing games on purpose.  :)

Fast food errors in my favor.  Similar to the bag fries, I like when they give you something extra altogether, and you are allowed to keep it.   :)

When the dog listens to me, especially if he's ignoring everyone else.  :)

Finding new figures. (Had to put SOMETHING Star Wars related on here).

Winning a game of racquetball against someone better.

A New Weird Al CD. (Poodle Hat!!)

Unexpected checks in the mail. (Just got one yesterday for 11.00 from my bank for some reason).

Light Traffic during the commute.

My song on the radio

And finally.....
Anything cherry flavored! Woo!

The end.
Got Clones?

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2003, 01:11 PM »
-Chocolate covered pretzels.  The wife brought some home just yesterday.  And not the kind from a bag, the good kind from a candy store where they cost like $1 a piece.

-Mint chocolate chip ice cream.  And it must be green.

-Not worrying about doing a damn thing over the weekend if I don't won't to.  

-Playing softball. Even though the team is 0-6 with a forfeit and two "mercy rule" loses (losing by 12+ runs after 5 innings) few things are more enjoyable than playing a good softball game.  

-Playing golf.  I not good (just started two+ years ago) but love playing a round of golf and drinking a few beers along the way.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2003, 01:23 PM »
I have this thing where I decide I'm bored, and so I go out to and get a ice-coffee - AT MIDNIGHT! I gotta stop this, because I been going to bed at about 5am and waking up at around noon.

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2003, 06:06 PM »
* laying in a hammock on a nice summer day with a cold drink and a good book

*waking up Saturday morning and having the kids volunteer to clean

*finding an unopened bag of Doritos in the back of the cupboard  :D
Beth

Offline Carrie M

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2003, 06:33 PM »

-Mint chocolate chip ice cream.  And it must be green.

Ah yes, good one.  :)
Other food-related simple pleasures- fresh fruit. Watermelon and cherries especially, both of which I have in the fridge at the moment.

Josh, I agree with the sleep thing, it's a very lovely thing. On a related note, taking a nap with my cat is one of my favorite things in the world.

The biggest and most wonderful simple pleasure for me would be waking up next to the man I love, and realizing it's not a dream.
Carrie, collector of Tusken-y things.

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Star Wars collection
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2003, 07:10 PM »
Josh, I agree with the sleep thing, it's a very lovely thing. On a related note, taking a nap with my cat is one of my favorite things in the world.

You can sleep with your cat? My girlfriends cats will climb on my head if I'm sleeping, just to wake me up so I'll pet them.

On the Sunday mornings in question, they are hopefully somewhere far far away.  :)

Got Clones?

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2003, 07:24 PM »
Eating buttered Mashed Potatos

Sleeping in a traveling car

Playing games with friends

Sleeping soundly

Opening a new toy(except when you get a lot of figures and vehicles and you get overwhelmed)

Siting on my favorite chair with one of my dogs

Taking a walk in early October

Swiming in July

Playing RTS games on my computer
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2003, 07:40 PM »

I don't know Beth, that one might belong in the Guilty Pleasures thread!   ;D  This one is for the simple pleasures, and Doritos are much more guilty than simple (especially at our age!)...

Simple pleasures:

• Getting out some boxes of Star Wars figures and spending some time goofin' around with them, and reminding myself why I enjoy this hobby so much.
  • Finding some cheap (< $1.70) gas.
  • Getting the green light from the Mrs. to indulge in some fastfood! (not the fastfood itself, but the lack of grief over eating it).
  • Like the rest of you old farts - sleeping in on the weekends...
  • Getting some praise or recognition from the boss or a client.
  • Quality and relaxing time with the wife.
  • Nat King Cole and Johnny Mathis albums around the Holidays.
  • Watching the Original Trilogy.
I'll toss some more in here later when I feel more inspired...

Offline Carrie M

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2003, 08:20 PM »

You can sleep with your cat? My girlfriends cats will climb on my head if I'm sleeping, just to wake me up so I'll pet them.

On the Sunday mornings in question, they are hopefully somewhere far far away.  :)

Yep, when I nap, I sleep with my arm around her, and she uses my other arm as a pillow. And she sleeps with me every night too, and doesn't bother me. Best cat I 've ever had.  :)
Carrie, collector of Tusken-y things.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2003, 10:48 PM »
Unsolicited hugs or kisses from my wife or daughter.  The weight of the world simply melts away.  Nothing better than being in a huge hurry in the morning, racing out the door and having your kid yell Daddy, Hug! ;D

Trading toys.  And not getting ripped doing it.  Star Wars boards rock compared to Spawn.com.  Good guys there too, but not too many willing to do you favors for nada.  Over here they are the rule rather than the exception.  So thanks.

Having the wife and kid stay at her mothers on a Friday night.  Break out the beer, Scotch (or rusty nail), crank up some tunes and fire up the JD chat.  Lots of fun with the regs like Jugdish, CC, bulky blocky and a couple of Minnesota guys.

Collecting insects for the fun of it, rather than work.  Yeah, it's weird, but I spend so much of my time worrying about pests, the fascination that initially drew me in is often missing.  I spent 6 hours today "hunting" dragonflies with a former professor.  Great day, great fun and great company.

Golf.  Or flog if you prefer.  Golfing with friends, tipping a few ales and having a good round.  Or a bad one.  A bad day at the golf course still beats a good day at the office.

Opening McFarlane toys.  The smell is so incredibly pungent it's amazing.  Opening SW toys is cool too, but the associated smell is weak in comparison.  

Not driving to work on weekends.  Two hours commuting a day for 120 miles is really quite annoying.

Finding a great BIN on ebay.  Or sniping just right to win by $0.01 ;D
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline amarsella

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2003, 01:26 AM »
Spending the day with my wife.

Dunkin Donuts French Vanilla Coffee and a Chocolate Glazed Donut.

Finding a new SW toy at retail.

Listening to any one of my favorite bands with the stereo turned up LOUD!!!

The scene when Darth Vader comes through the blasted door onto the Tantive IV.
Put on your old fur coat, it's 1973

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2003, 05:18 AM »
Couple more of these that popped into my noggin this evening...

Disneyland.   :)  You could be the grumpiest SOB on the planet, but the moment you step into that park, you have no choice but to feel the sheer joy and happiness which completely surrounds you in every direction.  Helps us old farts feel young again too!   ;)  I'm lucky enough to live nearby it, and swing by there every few weeks in search of new Star Tours loot!

Grapes.  Big ol' juicy seedless grapes.  Especially delightful during the hot summer season...   8)

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2003, 09:20 AM »

I don't know Beth, that one might belong in the Guilty Pleasures thread!   ;D  This one is for the simple pleasures, and Doritos are much more guilty than simple (especially at our age!)...

Being able to bend over (and then stand back up) and look in the back of the cupboard and actually spotting something without bifocals is the point I was trying to make.  The Doritos was just a bonus  ;).

Beth