Author Topic: Does ANYONE collect Baseball cards anymore?  (Read 6405 times)

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
Re: Does ANYONE collect Baseball cards anymore?
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2007, 11:32 AM »
Anyone see anything (or things) strange, in this new 2007 Topps Derek Jeter card?

"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2007, 11:44 AM »
Is that George Dubya and Babe?

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Madcow

• Jedi Padawan
  • Isn't the Wokling cute? LOOK AT IT! LOOK AT IT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2007, 11:51 AM »
Is that George Dubya and Babe?

Kevin

You got half right. It's Mickey Mantle in the dugout. I don't know who I hate more on that card, Bush or Jeter...
« Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 11:52 AM by Madcow »

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2007, 12:00 PM »
I didn't put that up to spark any political comments, so let's leave that **** out of it, please. . .
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2007, 12:03 PM »
I didn't put that up to spark any political comments, so let's leave that **** out of it, please. . .

God Damn Jetter and his politics.

Anyhow, I didn't know that was Mickey.

Kevin

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2007, 12:10 PM »

I know!

Kevin

Aren't you a Yankees fan?  And you didn't know that was The Mick?

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2007, 12:19 PM »

I know!

Kevin

Aren't you a Yankees fan?  And you didn't know that was The Mick?

True story Matt--

My neighbor two houses over has a SHRINE for Mickey in his open garage. Cards, newspaper clippings, posters, a jersey, autographed baseball, on and on. I used to play Tag Football with his grandson in the local park, so many a-day was spent in that garage after the games. I should have been able to tell.

*sigh* :-[

Kevin

Offline Madcow

• Jedi Padawan
  • Isn't the Wokling cute? LOOK AT IT! LOOK AT IT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2007, 12:29 PM »

I wasn't getting political, I can't stand politics enough to even bother talking about it. One can't verbalize who they like and dislike?

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2007, 12:38 PM »
One can't verbalize who they like and dislike?

I could be wrong (and I'm sure someone will tell me if I am), but I believe, around here, that any and all political comments, even ones as innocuous as yours, are better left unsaid.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2007, 01:48 PM »
Man, what are the odds.  GWB and Mickey Mantle at the same game...in the same photo.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2007, 03:22 PM »
For anyone who was curious, I dumped the last of my baseball cards on a co-worker... for $20.  We can't decide which one of us got the short end of that deal.

Offline Lady Jaye

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 3, 2007, 12:36 PM »
;)A lot of people have asked me to draw him(Nolan Ryan) I have his rookiee card through till he retired card,I've got cards galore!

Cool, never got his rookie. I didn't get that high end of a collectible back then!! I don't I still could!! :P
"I off one fat Angelino and you throw a hissy fit."
-Vincent

Offline Deanna Rash

• Jedi Padawan
  • AH ! Whatta you know a jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 4, 2007, 03:22 PM »
Well I got them from my baseball loving grandpa ;D even cards from the 50s'
The ablity to speak does not make you intelligent - now get out of here!

Offline Lady Jaye

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 4, 2007, 05:16 PM »
Oh that's so awesome!!! Keep a hold of that bad boy!! I want to eventually get all my cards signed, well as many as I can!!
"I off one fat Angelino and you throw a hissy fit."
-Vincent

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2007, 01:00 PM »
When I moved a couple of years ago I threw away almost 20,000 commons.  I went through every single one of them and took out any potential hall of famers and everything else went to the recycling center.  So much money wasted...I wonder if I could have went to College on that

Although we aren't moving, we are in the process of going through everything in the house, and ditching what we don't need/reorganizing the rest.  With the baby on the way, I know we'll need the room.  Anyways, while digging out the closet in the basement I decided to finally take the time to go through my sports cards once and for all as well.  I did basically what Scott talked about earlier in this thread, sorting out Hall of Famers, and putting the rest back in the box.  I had a couple "complete sets" that I got as gifts at one time, and then filled another cardbox or two with some of the ones I wanted to keep.  I thought I'd take the remaining to a sports card store, but after just looking through ebay at some of the prices of the rookie cards I have, I don't know that it would be worth it.  Apparently, it has to be graded, or its basically worthless (unless its really old).

I'm starting to think about just pitching the rest, or giving them away to kiddos or something like Jeff mentioned at one point in this thread.  Its amazing how things have changed with card collecting.  I was really into it from around 88/89 to the early 90s, and then kind of fell off as there started being so many companies, so few cards per pack, and higher sticker prices.  I found a couple old card wrappers in the boxes, and saw some packs with 12-15 cards for 50 to 55 cents.  Those days are long gone.  I haven't kept up on the card market much since I collected, but it seems like things are really different now.  I even just did some quick searches on ebay, thinking it would be cool to pick up some rookie cards of some of my favorite players (Garnett and Nash were the two I searched for off the bat), and even those seem to be pretty cheap (again, unless graded).  Plus, I don't even know which cards are the actual "rookie cards" anymore, and not some sort of "super duper rookie" type subset.  I remember right when I was getting out they started putting out those other type of cards in the sets, like "big hitters", "high flyers", or "super scorers" type things.  Its tough when you're just looking for a plain old, regular, rookie card :P

Edit: A funny side note, when digging through the sports card, I found a stack of cards from the 89 Batman movie.  That brought back some memories.  Its also funny looking through the sports cards (football, basketball, baseball) how many of the players my friends and I were after to get because they were so good, turned out to not amount to much more than a decent season or two.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2007, 01:04 PM by Brian »