Author Topic: Opening vtac clam shell without destroying it  (Read 5059 times)

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
Opening vtac clam shell without destroying it
« on: July 11, 2007, 03:38 PM »
Any ideas on how to open a sealed vtac clam shell without destroying it?
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Ruprecht

• Jedi Initiate
  • Yes I did say it.
    • View Profile
Re: Opening vtac clam shell without destroying it
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 03:42 PM »
You'd probably have to catch a scalper douche in the act...

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007, 04:08 PM »
I slice only the bottom 3 heat seals, in the back, and very carefully.  This makes a sort of "flap" you can open to pull out the figure and the tab, while not being immediately noticeable.  It's my best suggestion to you Paul, hope it's of some help.  It's how I'm saving the clamshells to display with the cards...
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2007, 04:22 PM »
Are you cutting around the bottom three heat seals? I want to keep one of the cases for a future carded custom figure of my daughter simular to the one I made years ago for my son.

Actually, the easiest way I've found to remove the POPs without cutting the case is to bend back the back corner of the case and reach in with two fingers and pull out the POP. The plastic bends back again and looks like it was never opened.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2007, 01:02 AM »
What I do is cut around the bottom most 3 heat seals...  I cut in the back, kind of slicing in behind it between the two halves, then I just cut the "ends" of the back of the heatseal off (this is hard to explain, really).  By cutting the 3 bottom heat seals on the back then like this, you can just lift the back half of the clamshell up and slide the figure out as well as easily nab the tab of course.

It's not markless and you can obviously see the cuts to the bottom 3 heat seals, but they're small generally, and I keep them to the back of the clam shell of course so when the CS is hanging on display you can't see any cuts. 

It is just my way of keeping things displayable though, and I've found no perfect way of getting heat sealed clamshells apart unfortunately.  :-\
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2007, 09:43 AM »
I cut the inside corners of the back of the shell with an exacto, the two side and the bottom. Sometimes the knife goes through to the front half, but regardless, it still looks good and hold together nicely for re-use.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Glassman6

• Jedi Padawan
  • Hey...Its Me!
    • View Profile
    • Glassman's Customs
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2007, 11:25 AM »
I just cut the center botom heat seal. Just cut around it. Then i slip the carded figure out of it and it closes back and looks fine, minus the cut piece.