Author Topic: Jabba's Trophy WIP/Done! (8/8)  (Read 7348 times)

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
Jabba's Trophy WIP/Done! (8/8)
« on: July 16, 2007, 10:34 PM »
After a couple months' break, I decide to get back into dio-making, at least to make a few smallish to moderate sized ones  :). Usually I choose to make dios based on how many figures can go in it, but this was pretty iconic and I was tired of propping the carbonite Han slab on my wall!  Here are some pics of the styrofoam frame I made first, and several pics after plastering with Plaster of Paris, lightly sanding, and spraypainting.  I didn't want to try the complex lighting of the scene, so I opted to spray-paint fake lighting instead.  I used orange for the alcove to mimic the lighting under the slab, and I made a posterboard template shaped like a grating or blinds, and sprayed tan to appear that the lighting comes from above.  These pics are taken outside to reveal some detail, but the dio looks better in lower indoor lighting.  I'm going to make the 2 beast heads to prop on the walls, and the 2 tables with fruit on the floor to either side as well.

« Last Edit: August 8, 2007, 11:53 AM by Daigo-Bah »
Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
Re: Jabba's Trophy WIP (7/16)
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2007, 11:05 PM »
Very nice work!  Did you paint in the grating shadows?
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2007, 11:32 PM »
Looks like he did. Wow, Greg, very impressive work (once again). Looks straight out of the movie (once again).
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline patreektherodian

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2007, 08:34 AM »
verry well done. The light through the grating is perfect

Offline jedipurge

• Jedi Apprentice
  • follow me on Instagram: VadersEmpire78
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2007, 03:40 PM »
That's just insane, you make it look so easy.  Just a simple piece of styrafoam.  You have to do a tutorial on something like this.  Tools and what not, how to  apply the plaster.  The only thing I'd add to what you already stated above the pic is some desert sand, though I'm not sure how you do that without it actually blowing away eventually.
Harmless is the most dangerous of perceptions, you never expect it to strike.-Purge

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2007, 09:26 AM »
Simply amazing. Incredible detail.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2007, 10:04 AM »
I really like the lighting on the ground and the grate work really adds to the dio.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2007, 07:14 PM »
Thanks so much guys!  Small update: I made the curtains (behind which Jabba and his goons were hiding) from pieces of a tan bedsheet that I dipped in water, folded, and sprayed with sealer to get them stiff.  The 2 tables are made from a wooden dowel rod and a set of wooden checker pieces that I drilled through and dremelled somewhat. I've since painted them and added some bowls and such, which I'll take pics of tomorrow.

Greg Reeves

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
Re: Jabba's Trophy WIP (7/19)
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2007, 06:19 PM »
Can the curtains fold back to reveal Jabba (who is probably sitting on the excellent throne diorama you made that I just saw pics of!)? If so how did you do it? This dio is going great, cant wait to see it complete.  :)
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Jabba's Trophy WIP (7/19)
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2007, 01:14 AM »
Thanks Robo!  Unfortunately, the curtains do not move.  This is sorta a stand-alone mini-dio.  Couple more pics of the right and left tables: these were fun to make the little rotten oranges and other details.  I have to make the pillows that are next to the table, then it's just the beast heads!

Greg Reeves

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Jabba's Trophy WIP (7/20)
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2007, 04:31 PM »
Again, a small update:  made the 3 pillows by the right table by hot-gluing thin foam packing material sheets and stuffing them with little wads of cotton.  Oh, and I drybrushed a little white on Han to mimic the lighting coming down on him as well.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2007, 04:32 PM by Daigo-Bah »
Greg Reeves

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Jabba's Trophy WIP (7/22)
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2007, 01:19 AM »
Wow man...  Once again you recreate a moment in Star Wars time with the action figures in pretty much perfect detail.  I enjoyed the last bits, the detail parts like the table and oranges and whatnot.  I think your attention to those specifics is commendable and really must've taken a lot of pausing on the DVD to catch them all.

Really a nice set-up though DB, as always...  I liked the Rebel Briefing set up the most lately because of the subject matter and the very structured detailing of that specific scene, but this is a much more realistic looking scene...  I thnk the lighting you added by the diorama's design and things are the little nuances that really bring this to life.  It really is outstanding DB, so congrats again on another well made set-up.  I saw Ryan highlighted you in a Chop-Shop Wrap-Up story the other night too, and well deserved for sure.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Jabba's Trophy WIP (7/22)
« Reply #12 on: August 8, 2007, 11:52 AM »
Thanks again for all the wonderful comments.  I think I can call this done now; I've added the 2 trophy heads.  The Tauntaun is from the POTF2 Luke version lightly sprayed black, and the Jerba is a water buffalo figurine I found at Target in the learning toys aisle!  I cut off his horns, drybrushed some lighter color over the black, and added little foamie ears.  He's still recognizable as a buffalo, but I wasn't brave enough to try to sculpt him!

Greg Reeves

Offline Deanna Rash

• Jedi Padawan
  • AH ! Whatta you know a jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Jabba's Trophy WIP/Done! (8/8)
« Reply #13 on: August 8, 2007, 02:29 PM »
 :o :o :o HOLY CRAP!!! That's Amazing! Most Cool! 8)
The ablity to speak does not make you intelligent - now get out of here!

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Jabba's Trophy WIP/Done! (8/8)
« Reply #14 on: August 8, 2007, 06:22 PM »
Wow Daigo-Bah! Great work! You have really captured the dimly lit atmosphere of Jabba the Hutt's palace. There are way too many details to take in at once. The cracks, scratches and dents in the walls and floor look great. The carbonite block looks like a miniature movie replica. My favorite parts have to be the stands, fruits, pillows, and cups on the floor. Each of those pieces are extremely detailed and perfectly done. The animal heads are a very nice touch. The Water Buffalo head looks more like a sheep or bison to me and does not look at all like a water buffalo. Anyway, it's always a pleasure to look at your customs/dioramas and keep up the great work!