Author Topic: Robo-Quack's MYGEETO BRIDGE DIORAMA!!!!  (Read 12925 times)

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Robo-Quack's MYGEETO BRIDGE DIORAMA!!!! Awesome! HUGE! 7/21/07
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2007, 01:13 PM »
Excellent job Robo-Quack. A few more troops, Bacara and Ki-Adi as suggested will really help to flesh this out even more.

The foam you used is also known as blue foam. (So for those of you going to Home depot ask for it by either name).

It's a great material to use. I've got stores of it saved up for my large dioramas planned out. You can buy a 4X8 foot slab for around $25-35 depending on where you go. I get mine direct from a distributor, so I don't know what Home Depot's cost is for a slab that size.

Another thing to try with this foam is a wire brush. It makes some great scratch marks or if you want to add very uneven damage then use the brush in different directions and it tears teh foam apart. Of course take care not to go to fast so you don't remove to much.

Also certain types of glue actually EAT the foam and create yet another look (more organic) as it can smooth over some areas. I use superglue and on those areas it looks like it's melted. A great effect for blaster damage that has melted something.

Blue foam can also be sanded which allows for some great shapes and textures.

Another thing to thing about when using this foam is if you want something to look more organic (without using a ton of superglue) is to use wood glue (it does not eat the foam). Brush that on lightly, let it dry overnight and bam a softer appearance than the foam itself. It makes for great terrain in this aspect. Plus it has the added affect of reinforcing the foam as it is a glue afterall.

Again great job Robo-Quack. It's good to see someone else out there is using this great material for something other than it's "intended" purpose.

Oh and I agree that Hasbro needs to make Octuptarra droids!!! That would send the diorama over the top!

-Sal
« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 01:14 PM by jedi_master_sal »
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline Ruprecht

• Jedi Initiate
  • Yes I did say it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2007, 12:41 PM »
Looks great, Robo-Quack!  Maybe a bit more rubble and more troops, and it'll be even better.

I'd certainly re-elect Joe Esteves if I could.  He seems like a neat guy by the poster.   ;)

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2007, 12:50 PM »
Very nice bridge! Where were you for the UGP. Something like this could have been cool for the city. We could span a second set of tables with this bridge. Nicely done!
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 1, 2007, 12:19 PM »
Sorry I could reply to your guys's replies quicker, I've been on vacation.

Sal: This really is an excellent material that I myself only recently discovered. And with it, not only do I have another incredible diorama in progress, but a four-foot extension to this project planned. And it looks like Hasbro has made my bridge some octuptarra droids! I cant wait to populate the Sep side of my bridge with them, its gonna look great. Glad you liked the bridge and thanks for looking!

Ruprecht: Thanks for looking, and I promise, more rubble and more troops are on the way! I'll keep everyone updated as these are added. As for Esteves, theres a long story about that poster for another time. In short, I thought it would add something weird and unique and colorful to my wall. I may take it down soon, though, to make room for my actual SW stuff.  :)

Master Phruby: I couldnt help out with the UGP because I just had so many other projects that I was working on at the time. I do wish I couldve helped though! Maybe next time something like that is going on you guys can tell me and I'll be happy to find time to help! Glad you liked the bridge, and thanks!

8)
« Last Edit: August 1, 2007, 12:21 PM by Robo-Quack »
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 4, 2007, 10:31 PM »
I made a few changes to my bridge paintwise today, and moved it to its permanent location in my bedroom. There are also a couple more troops on both sides since my last pics were taken as well, and a lot more rubble. Bacara is on his way from eBay and I will soon have Ki-Adi from a pending trade. After this, a few more Marines, and the octuptarra droids slated for 2008, this is gonna be one incredible bridge.

Enjoy these pics and tell me what you think.  8)

-RQ
« Last Edit: August 7, 2007, 11:10 AM by Robo-Quack »
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
Re: Robo-Quack's MYGEETO BRIDGE DIORAMA!!!!
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2007, 10:25 PM »
Aw crap I just noticed those pics didn't work! Oh well. But since my last post I have acquired Ki-Adi and Bacara and a couple more troops. I've also added some more rubble and repainted the bridge a little. I consider the bridge complete, but you never know, there's always a little room for improvement!

I really enjoyed doing this project and I hope you guys have enjoyed watching its progress. Tomorrow I'm gonna post pics of my ICMG and ultimate Palpatine customs, so be sure to check those out.  8)

--RQ

« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 10:26 PM by Robo-Quack »
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2007, 10:42 PM »
Just saw this for the first time, nice job RQ. I would suggest adding some splotches of white & grey paint to simulate the snow & ice, but otherwise, it looks great. You'll definitely want to stock up on the tri-droid from 2008 Wave 1. Very good job.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2007, 12:49 AM »
It's definitely looking even better with the added troops and the Jedi... I'm hoping you are able to show this in your PN.   :)

:P

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2007, 12:42 PM »
Reid- Thanks for checking out my bridge! I didn't put in the snow and ice just because I didn't want to overdo it and mess up. Thanks for the suggestion though. As for the tri-droid, I can't wait to put that guy on my bridge, it's gonna look awesome!

Justin (CHEWIE)- Thanks again for your kind feedback. I think Bacara and Ki-Adi have made this bridge look a lot better. I will probably add a couple more troops, though, on both sides. I'm also considering putting the new walker thingy (forgot the last two letters in its name) on it, just because there were a couple walkers of some sort getting blown up behind the marines in the movie. And this bridge will make it in my photonovel, if the new plot stays the same. Yes, I changed the plot for my photonovel again, but I'm pretty sure I have a great story this time and I'll stick to it! Thanks again for your continuing support of just about all my customs, dios, and pn's, the advice and support really is immensely appreciated!

I have a couple more dios that I'm trying to find time to work on...they're on their way, as hard as it may be for me to top this bridge, which I still consider my best work! Thanks again to everyone for the feedback and suggestions as this project developed. This site really has some great people!
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com

Offline patreektherodian

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2007, 04:12 PM »
If you change you mind about snow, I use baking soda (that's what theyused for empire strikes back). you can always vacume if you don't like it.