Author Topic: Considering Unmoderated Forum  (Read 14500 times)

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Considering Unmoderated Forum
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2007, 06:20 PM »
I say we put restrictions on who could post.  Say 1000 posts or more.  Or 1 year of membership. 

I know it sounds harsh but hey, it's a benefit -- similar to Yakpoints.

I disagree, in part. Arbitrary criteria for acceptance might serve as a disincentive for new, qualified posters to join the fold. I, personally, favor administrational discrimination with regards to:

1) Age (Cap it at 16, at the very least, with considerations towards people who petition for an exception)
&
2) Recent Post History (last 6-12 months)
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2007, 06:33 PM »
That's the real trick.  Members have to keep their differences and petty squabbles from spilling out into the other parts of the Forum.

While the potential Politics forum would be (for the most part) unmoderated, any spillover into other areas of the forum as a result of something originating in the Politics forum wouldn't fly, and would be moderated, obviously.  What happens in the Politics forum, stays in the Politics forum.  As one might expect, those who dare to venture in there better do so with the understanding that they'll probably need to be fairly thick-skinned.

That said, it's not going to be a free pass for an all-out, no-holds-barred crazy insulting brawl in there.  We're still hoping/expecting that people will try to act like mature adults and remain civil in there.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2007, 06:35 PM by JediMAC »

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2007, 06:56 PM »

Hell...look at the latest crap in the 24 thread...plenty of stuff in there that really didn't need to be said and we don't even have an UMF yet.  I think that kind of stuff would just get worse.

I hardly think there was anything that bad said in that thread, in fact that was relatively tame and civil.  I'm not really sure what you're referring to.  Just the fact that politics *gasp* came up

Anyhow, I'm all for this idea of a politics/religion section.  But why not have a couple of moderators.  Say, 1 conservative and 1 liberal?  Or even 2 of each?

This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2007, 07:34 PM »
I don't come here for politics and religion so it makes no difference to me.  I won't be going in that thread unless I have a bad case of PMS.  Also, as long as it stays in the thread and any over-spillage is cleaned up quickly and heavy-handed by the powers-that-be, I vote yes.
Beth

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2007, 08:09 PM »
I'm for it, but there has to be some sort of clean up crew if **** gets out of hand. I'm sure something can be worked out?

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2007, 09:32 PM »
I know I am a part of the younger crowd on these boards, but I say go for it. I know I wouldn't participate in it, but I think others on these boards would enjoy it. In my 1 1/2 years of being a member here, I cannot recall any instances of certain members having problems with other members. (By members I mean people who contribute to the forums regularly; not trolls, post padders, people who continually post one word in each post, and other annoying people) The Mods and Admins here are awesome, so I'm sure any problems caused elsewhere by this proposed forum can be fixed.

Offline Darth Kenobi

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2007, 10:39 PM »
I have mix feelings on this Unmoderated Forum.  Its good that we would have a place to keep all the political crap that people drop in other post at this site and others.  Such as some of these comments in the Convention Section at RS:

what is it with badges. civ and now this. i think it is because california is run by bleeding heart liberals that sit around and sing kum by ya all day and don't do any work. just my 2 cents!

Last time I checked, the governor of California was a republican. Granted he's smarter by leaps and bounds than that idiot in the White House but he's no "bleeding heart liberal". Besides this country is in the crapper b/c of war happy conservatives.

And other comments like these. 

The main problem would be like other have said the spill over in other sections of this fourm.  If the Site Team watch the members who are hanging around in that section and make sure that nothing spills into the other section I say go for it. 

Offline blimpyboy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Gamorrean lover
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2007, 11:31 PM »
I would be all for it.  It would be a throwback to years ago when we actually had a pretty good time debating issues, and I even made a few friends in the process.  And with the smaller community here, the likelihood the thread will be dominated by dumbasses and pot-stirrers will be pretty low. 

Offline Deanpaul

• Jedi Apprentice
  • open for interpretation
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2007, 11:45 PM »
Why not keep the oil and vinegar apart?  Let's have a right (wrong) and left (right) forum.  I think instead of a drag out bitch fest lacking in constructive criticism, we could use a place to go and discuss issues of the day without the opposing side sniping at each post.  Especially with 08 already here in so many ways.
"Regime change, like charity, begins at home." - Ira Glass, This American Life

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2007, 11:57 PM »
Yes, but Dean, where would we lowly non-partisan few venture?
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2007, 12:06 AM »
Why not keep the oil and vinegar apart?  Let's have a right (wrong) and left (right) forum. 

Its comments like that which are lacking in constructive criticism.  Its a great idea to be able to discuss the issues of the day without it turning into a "bitchfest".  Those kinds of comments tend to start the bitchfests though.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2007, 12:07 AM by Tracy »
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline Deanpaul

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2007, 12:28 AM »
Why not keep the oil and vinegar apart?  Let's have a right (wrong) and left (right) forum. 

Its comments like that which are lacking in constructive criticism.  Its a great idea to be able to discuss the issues of the day without it turning into a "bitchfest".  Those kinds of comments tend to start the bitchfests though.

Only if you miss the humor and make it an attack, sweetheart.  What did the your unedited post say?

Offline Deanpaul

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2007, 12:30 AM »
Yes, but Dean, where would we lowly non-partisan few venture?

Maybe in the trunk of your parents car?   :-X

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2007, 12:39 AM »

Only if you miss the humor and make it an attack, sweetheart.  What did the your unedited post say?

"criticisism"   I forgot to spellcheck :-[

Unfortunately humor doesn't always transfer well in a political debate over the internet - especially when I think that you're left (wrong) ;)
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline Deanpaul

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2007, 12:49 AM »
I see.  You could have just copied all of my post and saved yourself most of the typing in yours.

I think you and I are usually in agreement more often than not.