Author Topic: 2008 Wave 1 - Revenge of the Sith  (Read 84489 times)

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
Re: 2008 Wave 1 - Revenge of the Sith
« Reply #240 on: February 1, 2008, 09:00 AM »
The 2-1B's size doesn't bother me at all, it's just a droid. as for the Kashyyyk clone, I'll just have to wait until he's standing in formation with all the other clones.
« Last Edit: February 1, 2008, 09:00 AM by Darth_Anton »
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: February 1, 2008, 10:43 AM »
I saw this wave last night, and that clone's sculpt looks great.  I can definitely see the frustration you army-building-in-formation guys would have though, but in dio scenes I think he would work out well.
Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: February 1, 2008, 11:17 AM »
To clarify my point, let's try this example:
A Chevy Camaro (from 1967) represents the ROTS-era 2-1B and a Chevy Camaro (from 1988) represents the ESB-era 2-1B. The Camaros are the same "make and model", but with drastically different exteriors.

The only problem with your analogy is that the older version of the car is vastly superior to the newer version.  Wait, maybe that's what you were getting at. ;)
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #243 on: February 1, 2008, 11:25 AM »
To clarify my point, let's try this example:
A Chevy Camaro (from 1967) represents the ROTS-era 2-1B and a Chevy Camaro (from 1988) represents the ESB-era 2-1B. The Camaros are the same "make and model", but with drastically different exteriors.

The only problem with your analogy is that the older version of the car is vastly superior to the newer version. 

As a proud multi-Camaro owner, I totally agree.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: February 1, 2008, 12:04 PM »
Multi-Camaro  :o  If those are 67-69, color me green with envy.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #245 on: February 1, 2008, 04:04 PM »
But see, I don't think there's a real difference between a ROTS-era 2-1B droid and an ESB-era 2-1B droid.  Cars change over the years, but droids in the SW galaxy?  There are minor differences (color, detailing) between both eras of 2-1B, sure, but for there to be what seems like a big height discrepency?

See, this is where my R2/R1 analogy I believe does hold some water...  They're the same droid, at heart, built at different points in time...  Radical changes made to them though.  You can't tell a camaro from 2000 is supposed to be from the same family as the original really.  R1 is the original, R2 the next, and so on...

However, all that aside, I agree with Scott...  And this goes back to my earlier point about people saying 2-1B (the new one) is properly scaled.  It's not.  If you do a little research on it, you find that out as well.  So I don't get why there's some people saying it is.

The original 2-1B was built off of an average sized mannequin, nothing small framed.  It's on display as I noted in the prop tour going around right now, and it's as tall as, and as wide as FX-7 (also on tour with him).  It's the size and shape of about a 6' tall human male...  It's not "tiny" like that new figure is.

Ultimately, like I said, it just matters to me less on that figure for some reason...  Maybe because, as a droid, I can BS the different model year type argument, or whatever.  It certainly bugs me less than the Clone is all.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #246 on: February 1, 2008, 04:21 PM »
If you do a little research on it, you find that out as well.  So I don't get why there's some people saying it is.

You can do all the research you want and it still won't matter.

IF you base your arguement on the actual 6' 2-1B prop, then yeah the new one is too small and the old PotF2 one is the "right" scale.

IF you base your argument on the EU stuff written about the 2-1B model (Star Wars Databank Entry), it says he's only 1.5m tall, making him under 5' feet tall and making the new one "correct" and the old one too tall.

It's all in your point of view. You can probably argue either point until the cows come home, but in the end folks will still think their side is "right"...

(cough *blue coat/brown coat* cough)
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: February 1, 2008, 04:24 PM »
So the new 2-1B is to scale...from a certain point of view...

David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline Oboewan

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: February 1, 2008, 04:50 PM »
But see, I don't think there's a real difference between a ROTS-era 2-1B droid and an ESB-era 2-1B droid.  Cars change over the years, but droids in the SW galaxy?  There are minor differences (color, detailing) between both eras of 2-1B, sure, but for there to be what seems like a big height discrepency? 

Of course, according to the SW database, 2-1B is supposed to stand about 4 1/2 feet tall.  Didn't seem that short in either movie (ROTS or ESB).       

I may have totally missed it and if so I apologize... but:

"Aren't you a little short for a 21-B droid?"
"Who is more the fool... the fool or the fool who posts after him?"

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: February 1, 2008, 04:55 PM »

"Aren't you a little short for a 21-B droid?"

2-1B Droid to Vader: Aren't you a little crispy for the most powerful Sith in the galaxy?
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #250 on: February 1, 2008, 04:55 PM »
I don't really care about height, ESB 2-1B didn't even have legs so I'm not sure how they can say how tall he , it's the scale that bothers me.

The droid head should be the same size as a human head and based on this shot, I think that is still the case.  If you compare POTF2 to a human scaled head, its fine, you compare the new one to a human head, its not...

Offline Force Guy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: February 1, 2008, 11:57 PM »
If you compare POTF2 to a human scaled head, its fine, you compare the new one to a human head, its not...

Yes, the new one has a head just like Harry the Haunted Hunter.

We can argue whether or not 2-1B is scaled correctly in terms of height.  But I think the fact remains that the new 2-1B has a huge flaw in the way he is proportioned.  I mean, he shouldn't have a head the size of a pea, should he?   
Binders full of astromechs...

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #252 on: February 2, 2008, 02:44 AM »
IF you base your argument on the EU stuff written about the 2-1B model (Star Wars Databank Entry), it says he's only 1.5m tall, making him under 5' feet tall and making the new one "correct" and the old one too tall.

I didn't even know the Databank listed its height, much less listing it wrong... 

Then again, the Databank lists AT-AT's as 15 meters tall, but the films show them to be at least 20 meters tall...  The same thing is going on with the Executor, which is listed a significantly less length than it actually is portrayed to be in the movies.  Go figure.

Personally, and I agree it's like blue/brown coat arguments, I go with the ACTUAL size of the item...  In this case the droid.  2-1B from ESB was anything but short, so that figure's accurate...  The ROTS one may be smaller, but as Scott posted with the picture, the head at least is too small, and that leads me to believe the rest of the figure is.

The Kashyyyk Trooper still bothers me more...  It's a clone for god's sake, so it shouldn't be shorter than another Clone like Gree or the others.

EDIT:

By the way, I picked these up tonight...  2-1B is kind of cool because the detailing is really nice on him, just such a shame he's dinky.  That said, it seems to me that Anakin got quite a facelift over his previous figure!  Way more than initially thought.

His entire torso is new, and ball/socket articulation now...  His hips are ball/sockets of course, but the torso really is neat, and I must say, they sculpted it so his arms are more able to hold a saber 2-handed now.  Far better than the Evolutions figure is able to, so really it's a major improvement.  His eyes are blue, I find this odd since I thought he had sith eyes for this scenario, but whatever.  It's a really great figure...  I had a gripe on the elbow joints, but the torso fix really makes them more versatile.  Good for Hasbro on that one...  Well worth the re-purchase.  He looks OUTSTANDING on the panning droid too, I must say.

Obi-Wan's nice, but mine's head won't stay on.  He too seems to be mostly resculpted.  The hands seem new, the head, the legs...  The arms and body aren't I guess, but everything else seems to be.  He's not as nice as Anakin, but he is quite nice for his duel on Mustafar.

2-1B is the waves weakest figure IMO...  Which says a lot as, even short, he turned out to be a decent figure.
« Last Edit: February 2, 2008, 03:19 AM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: February 2, 2008, 12:12 PM »
For some reason the 2-1B is my favorite of the bunch... though I'm a sucker for droids... but, I don't have a Tri-Droid yet, so I'm thinking that will be my favorite when it's all said and done.

Offline Force Guy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: February 2, 2008, 06:17 PM »
I don't have a Tri-Droid yet, so I'm thinking that will be my favorite when it's all said and done.

I think you'll find that the Tri-Droid is quite impressive.  It's certainly big. 
Binders full of astromechs...