Author Topic: Saga Legends "2008 Fan's Choice" Discussion  (Read 49734 times)

Offline Delaton

• Youngling
  • FFURG Graphics Editor
    • View Profile
Re: Saga Legends "2008 Fan's Choice" Discussion
« Reply #90 on: August 18, 2007, 12:52 AM »
www.FFURG.com had the following vote results:

1. Expanded Universe Luke Skywalker, POTF2 EU
2. Expanded Universe Leia Organa Solo, POTF2 EU
3. Ephant Mon, SAGA
4. Graxol Kelvyyn, EP1
5. Expanded Universe Spacetrooper, POTF2 EU
6. Padme Amidala (Lars Homestead), SAGA
7. Sio Bibble, EP1
8. Han Solo ANH, VOTC
9. Biker Scout w/Flip Visor, TAC - EP6 Tin
10. Gungan Warrior, POTJ

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 18, 2007, 12:57 AM »
Here's the list from The Jawa

1 - Space Trooper (POTF2 Expanded Universe)
2 - Shadow Stormtrooper (TSC - Online Exclusive)
3 - Saleucami Clone Trooper (ROTS - Target Exclusive)
4 - Gungan Warrior (EPISODE I Fambaa beast pack)
5 - Paploo (POTJ - AT-ST & Speederbike)
6 - Darth Sidious Hologram (EPISODE I)
7 - Graxol Kelvyyn (EPISODE I - Watto's Box)
8 - FX-7 (POTJ)
9 - A-Wing Pilot (SAGA A-Wing)
10 - Security Battle Droid (POTJ)
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #92 on: August 18, 2007, 02:46 AM »
Some interesting choices out there (including a few pegwarmers?!).  Goes to show you the attention to detail that a lot of these other sites lack.  It appears that none of them are even aware that the EB Chewie is different than any other Chewies released to date, and may in fact be the best one of all.  Maybe I missed it somewhere in there, but that Chewie doesn't even seem to be in any other sites' Top 10 lists.  Considering that, despite it's first place finish here, it may not even make Hasbro's Final Top 20.  Mindboggling.  Considering some of the strange goings on in the poll over at GH, I suspect that they're going to wait 'til a few more sites chime in before they announce (manipulate) their Top 10 list to include some choices that weren't too well represented in the other site's results.  I guess someone who wants to spend the 20 minutes or so could easily calculate out the Final Top 20 once the rest of the sites have published their results.

So far, it looks like the Spacetrooper is the runaway winner here.  How the hell did that thing fare so poorly in the prior 'Scum Legends poll?  It must've gotten matched up against one of the top 2 or 3 early on in the bracket and gotten bounced.

My prediction for the Final 5 or 6 (winners) for Hasbro's poll:

1. Spacetrooper
2. Ephant Mon
3. Graxol Kelvynn
4. Zev Senesca
5. Shadow Stormtrooper
6. Commander Neyo

With notable favorites like Blue Snag and VOTC Stormie just missing the cut.  I'll be really bummed if Blue Snag barely misses his first ever shot at being a carded figure in 30 years.  >:(

Offline Bespin_refugee

• Youngling
  • "Intensify forward firepower! TOO LATE!! AAAAAHHH
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 18, 2007, 03:41 AM »
JediInsider Top 10
1. Shadow Stormtrooper
2. Spacetrooper
3. Blue Snaggletooth
4. Grand Moff Tarkin (Briefing room boxset)
5. Ephant Mon
6. Pablo-Jill
7. Zev Senesca
8. Coleman Trebor
9. R3-A2
10. Sio Bibble
« Last Edit: August 18, 2007, 03:43 AM by Bespin_refugee »

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 19, 2007, 02:56 PM »
I agree, lots of interesting choices. Can't really spot any real bad choices, especially since they are group consensus'. My only disappointment is that the only figures I can really use right now, the At-St Drivers, didn't make the cut.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #95 on: August 20, 2007, 03:02 AM »
Certain things just need resculpted and the AT-ST Driver comes up in that category to me...  An army builder, lacking articulation...  The Officer body is a good base for the figure now, it's neutral and all, but the articulation's sorely lacking on the figure at this point.  It's ok, kinda like the Commtech Stormtrooper being ok...  Fills out the ranks alright but as a figure it's just lacking.

Personally, I was real against the Space Trooper...  Would never vote for it.  The figure's based on art I can't stand since it completely bailed on previous existing spacetrooper designs, but more than that it's just a goofy looking figure with the weapon built to the forearm (where's his arm then?) and all.  Just not fond of it at all...  I see why the voting would go that way though, what with it being a trooper first and not exactly something people have huge armies of...  Still, I'd much rather see a new figure based on old designs than that thing again.  Such is life though.

If EB Chewie isn't in, I'm disappointed with the results automatically, but the VOTC Stormtrooper hands down should be out on the pegs routinely.  I'd say the VTSC Scout, and V30AC Snowtrooper should both also be out in the line routinely...

Then again, I feel the same about VOTC Han...  If you've gotta have Han, that's the Han to have out there.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 20, 2007, 08:44 AM »
Yeah, I'm a little disappointed with the results from some of the other sites as well.  I guess, for the most part, I can understand the choices - lots of previously tough to find figures, exclusive pack-ins, or army builders.  I just really wish we could see things like the EB Chewie and VOTC Han hit the basic cards.  Those are arguably the best versions of those characters ever produced, and neither is easily attainable at this point.  Like Jesse mentioned, I'm someone who feels the VOTC Stormie, VTSC Scout and Snowtrooper should be on the pegs routinely too - just like the AOTC and ROTS clones are now.  Some good choices throughout the lists though, but some real head scratchers in some cases too.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 21, 2007, 04:32 PM »
I agree, lots of interesting choices. Can't really spot any real bad choices, especially since they are group consensus'. My only disappointment is that the only figures I can really use right now, the At-St Drivers, didn't make the cut.

I voted for the AT-ST Driver from the SAGA Imperial Forces pack in all of my poll submissions.  But surprisingly it didn't rank.  I think that might have to do with people not being as aware of multipack or pack-in figures than they are with the Basic Figures.

Feedback

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #98 on: August 21, 2007, 05:10 PM »
It appears that none of them are even aware that the EB Chewie is different than any other Chewies released to date, and may in fact be the best one of all.  Maybe I missed it somewhere in there, but that Chewie doesn't even seem to be in any other sites' Top 10 lists.  Considering that, despite it's first place finish here, it may not even make Hasbro's Final Top 20.  Mindboggling.

Over at FFURG, the EB Chewie was doing pretty good in the voting until we got a visit from our good friend Dan Curto. Dan informed us that the EB Chewie was not eligible for the vote despite Hasbro's initial remarks, which is probably why you don't see it listed at Scum or most other places. I for one championed the EB Chewie to be included in the 2008 SL vote, but stopped since knowing Dan for as long as I have, I've gathered that the figure is not eligible for this voting because Hasbro will be using it elsewhere in 2008. Hopefully, as it's own single carded figure, no more freaking multi-packs for previously released premium articulated figures!!!

Personally, I was real against the Space Trooper...  Would never vote for it.  The figure's based on art I can't stand since it completely bailed on previous existing spacetrooper designs, but more than that it's just a goofy looking figure with the weapon built to the forearm (where's his arm then?) and all.  Just not fond of it at all...  I see why the voting would go that way though, what with it being a trooper first and not exactly something people have huge armies of...  Still, I'd much rather see a new figure based on old designs than that thing again.  Such is life though.

I was championing for the Spacetrooper over at FFURG just so I could get a new one in the whiter plastic Hasbro has been using nowadays. My POTF2-EU Spacetrooper is yellowing something fierce.  :'( Besides I think it's a neat EU design and while doesn't match other designs, there is more than enough room for multiple takes on the concept. Hell just look at all the Clones and their color, armor, and helmet designs.

As for the AT-ST Driver, we were also pushing that over at FFURG, albeit using the Han Solo figure as a basis. Unfortunately in our final poll to fill up our last 3 spots from a choice of 10 figures, it was the only one to not get a vote.

I'm looking forward to seeing what the Top 20 are as listed by Hasbro. I wonder if they will comment on any figures which were voted but turned out to not be eligible despite their initial remarks. More importantly, I'm hoping to not see more than one or two of those ****** clones!

BTW, when is Hasbro going to announce their poll?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 05:13 PM by CorranHorn »
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #99 on: August 21, 2007, 05:19 PM »
WTF - EB Chewie's not eligible? It would have been nice to get an official list of ineligible figures before hand rather than this revisionist history crap.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 21, 2007, 05:24 PM »
It appears that none of them are even aware that the EB Chewie is different than any other Chewies released to date, and may in fact be the best one of all.  Maybe I missed it somewhere in there, but that Chewie doesn't even seem to be in any other sites' Top 10 lists.  Considering that, despite it's first place finish here, it may not even make Hasbro's Final Top 20.  Mindboggling.

Over at FFURG, the EB Chewie was doing pretty good in the voting until we got a visit from our good friend Dan Curto. Dan informed us that the EB Chewie was not eligible for the vote despite Hasbro's initial remarks, which is probably why you don't see it listed at Scum or most other places. I for one championed the EB Chewie to be included in the 2008 SL vote, but stopped since knowing Dan for as long as I have, I've gathered that the figure is not eligible for this voting because Hasbro will be using it elsewhere in 2008. Hopefully, as it's own single carded figure, no more freaking multi-packs for previously released premium articulated figures!!!

The only reason that I can think of as to why Early Bird Chewbacca might have been disqualified is because there's already one Chewbacca in the Saga Legends lineup.  IIRC it's the ROTS version (an inferior figure, IMO).  And then there's the Bespin Battle Pack which appears to feature the VOTC Chewbacca which has very similar tooling to the Early Bird figure.  Either of those might preclude the EB Chewie from being eligible.  Frankly I think that's a terrible decision since it's such a great figure.

Feedback

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #101 on: August 21, 2007, 05:42 PM »
The only reason that I can think of as to why Early Bird Chewbacca might have been disqualified is because there's already one Chewbacca in the Saga Legends lineup.  IIRC it's the ROTS version (an inferior figure, IMO).  And then there's the Bespin Battle Pack which appears to feature the VOTC Chewbacca which has very similar tooling to the Early Bird figure.  Either of those might preclude the EB Chewie from being eligible.  Frankly I think that's a terrible decision since it's such a great figure.

I agree that either would be a terrible decision, we all know that the ROTS figure when compared to the EB figure is a piece of crap. As a justification to make the EB Chewie eligible, I did push on the fact that the EB Chewie though based on the VOTC Chewie, probably has it's own mold grouping (head, torso, legs, etc) separate from the VOTC mold grouping. That didn't work though and I don't know if that's the case or if Hasbro saves money by just making a new mold for the EB head and then adding it to the VOTC mold grouping. Thinking about it, that's a good question for the next Q&A. :D
« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 05:42 PM by CorranHorn »
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #102 on: August 27, 2007, 01:02 AM »
Sooo...EB Chewbacca didn't get votes because Dan Curto said he wasn't eligible...am I reading that right?

I didn't see anyone from Hasbro say he was not allowed to be voted for...that is lame
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 01:08 AM by OCB »

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #103 on: August 31, 2007, 03:53 PM »
Straight from the Big H:

- 20 sites sent in top 10 lists
- 67 individual figures were named in the polls
- only 3 figures were dropped because some version was already planned for 2008: Durge, the EU Spacetrooper, and Amanin (Amanaman)

Here are the "fan choice" top 20 (in alphabetical order):

1. ARC Trooper (Clone Wars) red & gray #43 (Saga)
2. Bespin Guard (black ethnicity)
3. Chewbacca (Early Bird kit)
4. Clone Trooper (Treachery on Saleucami 2007 exclusive)
5. Clone Trooper Pilot w/ball turret (Saga '02 #49)
6. Coleman Trebor (Saga)
7. Colonel Wulf Yalaren (Death Star Briefing Room 2006 exclusive)
8. Commander Neyo (Treachery on Saleucami 2007 exclusive)
9. Covert Ops Clone Trooper (2005 exclusive)
10. Ephant Mon (Saga)
11. Graxol Kelvyyn (Watto's Box)
12. Gungan Warrior (Fambaa set exclusive)
13. Han Solo (Vintage OTC)
14. Pablo-Jill (EpIII/OTC bridge line)
15. Shadow Stormtrooper (2006 exclusive)
16. Sio Bibble (Episode I)
17. Stormtrooper (Vintage OTC)
18. Utapau Shadow Trooper (2007 exclusive)
19. Zev Senesca (Snowspeeder Pilot)
20. Zutton (Blue Snaggletooth)

Hasbro is currently revamping their polling software to handle the poll, look for the next phase to start next week!
« Last Edit: August 31, 2007, 03:54 PM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #104 on: August 31, 2007, 03:58 PM »
Good to see Chewie made it!  I might be interested in a Black Bespin Guard too...kudos to SSG on that one

Looks like our Top 6 made it...surprised R3 didn't though as he was on a lot of sites lists I thought

#1 (tie) - Chewbacca (RotS Early Bird Kit)
#1 (tie) - Stormtrooper (2004 VOTC Sculpt)
#3 (tie) - Blue Snaggletooth   (OTC Cantina Aliens Cinema Scene)
#3 (tie) - Graxol Kelvyyn (TPM Watto's Box Cinema Scene)
#5 - Zev Senesca (TSC Snowspeeder Pack-In)
#6 (tie) - Ephant Mon (Saga Basic Figure)
#6 (tie) - Feltipern Trevagg (OTC Basic Figure)
#8 (tie) - Biker Scout (30AC Tin Version w/flip-up visor)
#8 (tie) - R3-A2 (Saga Battle of Hoth Multi-Pack)
#8 (tie) - Space Trooper (POTF2 Basic Figure)