Author Topic: Minneapolis Bridge Collapse  (Read 5893 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Minneapolis Bridge Collapse
« Reply #15 on: August 1, 2007, 11:45 PM »
My whole family is safe...my brother and wife were on their way to the Twins game tonight though on 35W heading south when it happened though.  They were about a mile or so away from the bridge.  I drive that bridge regularly on my way to my brothers and used to drive it all the time when we lived in the Cities and when I went to the U.  I just am in utter shock that this whole thing has happened and my thoughts and prayers are with the innocent victims :-[

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 2, 2007, 07:30 AM »
Scott -- glad to hear that you and your family are safe, as well as friends and family of other JDers.  I can't imagine how horrible or frightening it must have been for the victims and now their families.  I had nightmares thinking of being on that bridge with my 2 small children.  My thoughts and prayers go out to the victims and their families.
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 2, 2007, 07:30 AM »
I live on the east side and I've only been to Minneapolis a handful of times so I was far away.  Quite the 9/11ish type of event....1 death and 20 still missing.  The rescue recovery op starts at 7:30 this morning.   :'(

Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 2, 2007, 09:06 AM »
Good to hear that everyone is safe, and hopefully the fatality numbers reported on the news don't get any worse than they already are.  We eventually heard from my brother-in-law, and he was ok (at the game actually when we were trying to call him).  Apparently one of the guys along on this work trip had to go back to their hotel for something, so they ended up getting there about 15 minutes after it happened.  He said they probably would have been on it if that hadn't happened.  Anyways, glad to hear everyone here is ok - thoughts and prayers to everyone in Minneapolis, particularly any victim's families.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 2, 2007, 08:51 PM »
A coworker's nephew was on the bridge just before it collapsed. He was literally the last car across. She said he hard a loud bang, like thunder, felt the road move a bit, checked his mirror and the red car that had been behind him had disappeared! Talk about lucky!

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 3, 2007, 12:41 PM »
How unbelievably terrible... I hope they find some more survivors.   :-\

:P

Offline brian_peppers

• Banned
  • Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 3, 2007, 03:14 PM »
It happened on my birthday  :(
I suck.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 3, 2007, 05:10 PM »
How unbelievably terrible... I hope they find some more survivors.   :-\

:P

Pretty unlikely at this point.  They've converted from rescue operations to recovery operations.  I heard on the news that they're using sonar to locate cars in the water and divers can get to them, but visability in the water is only 6-12 inches, so they can't see anything.  On top of that, parts of the bridge are still falling, so its a major hazard to the recovery teams.   :P
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #23 on: August 3, 2007, 05:58 PM »
Amazing that with how crowded the bridge was that so far, only 8 people have been killed.  I'm also just so proud to be an American seeing how everyone there came out to help everyone.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 3, 2007, 06:23 PM »
Scary stuff, my condolences to those affected by this.

Offline Deanpaul

• Jedi Apprentice
  • open for interpretation
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 3, 2007, 06:25 PM »
I'm also just so proud to be an American seeing how everyone there came out to help everyone.

You're right, people never help each other in other countries.
"Regime change, like charity, begins at home." - Ira Glass, This American Life

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 3, 2007, 07:44 PM »

::)

I think Matt Fury was simply trying to say that his fellow Americans made him proud with their bravery and heroism in the face of such a disaster.  That's not to imply people in other countries wouldn't respond in the same way if faced with an identical situation.

« Last Edit: August 3, 2007, 07:52 PM by Dressel Rebel »
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline blimpyboy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Gamorrean lover
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 4, 2007, 10:55 AM »

I think Matt Fury was simply trying to say that his fellow Americans made him proud with their bravery and heroism in the face of such a disaster.  That's not to imply people in other countries wouldn't respond in the same way if faced with an identical situation.

Exactly.  Especially since some people like Michael Moore like to poo-poo Americans for not looking out for each other and having an "every man for himself" mentality - events such as this one and 9/11 proved that to be far from reality.

Offline Deanpaul

• Jedi Apprentice
  • open for interpretation
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 4, 2007, 04:10 PM »

He's fortunate to have you to interpret for him then because that isn't what he wrote.

Exactly.  Especially since some people like Michael Moore like to poo-poo Americans for not looking out for each other and having an "every man for himself" mentality - events such as this one and 9/11 proved that to be far from reality.

Wow, dragging Michael Moore and 9/11 into a thread about bridge collapse?  Why don't you throw some general vague references to the deceased Saddam Hussein for good measure?

I'm not "poo-pooing" Americans looking out for each other, just observing that it isn't a uniquely American characteristic worth tying to ones patriotism through jingoistic rah rah speak about ordinary people helping ordinary people in extraordinary circumstances.

And despite Chewie's naivety, they're not pulling anyone else alive out of that mess.  It's been called recovery (not rescue) since the morning after it happened.

"Regime change, like charity, begins at home." - Ira Glass, This American Life

Offline Chris

• Founder
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #29 on: August 4, 2007, 04:15 PM »
Make sure you remember to keep the politics aspect out of this thread and in the new forum, if you so wish.