Author Topic: NFL 2007-08  (Read 121654 times)

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
Re: NFL 2007-08
« Reply #270 on: December 22, 2007, 03:33 PM »
Parker's the #1 rusher in the league, a pro-bowl bound undrafted star that is explosive on offense...  As much as I sometimes dislike his style because of his size issues, Davenport is no Parker... Davenport's not bad or he wouldn't be there, but he just isn't capable of the things Parker does I'm afraid.

I totally disagree.  Parker is #1 in rushing yards, but only because the Steelers overused him, and surprise surprise, he ends up injured before the end of the season.  Parker has had 321 attempts and 1316 yards rushing.  Compare that to Tomlinson at 1311 (pretty much the same) with just 280 attempts.  Heck, anyone could run for 1316 yards if they ran enough plays.

So let's put things on an even playing field.  WP averaged just 4.1 yards per carry.  That's hardly what I would call "explosive."  In fact, that's hardly in the top 60 of RB's and there's only 32 teams in the league.  Davenport?  He's at least at 5.0 yards per carry and definitely showed his "explosiveness" in this week's game. 

Parker also has just two TDs and four fumbles as a starter in 15 games...not a very good ratio compared to most NFL backs.  And since he's had 32 more carries than the next closest guy, you can't say he hasn't had his chances to score.  Davenport has four rushing TDs and two receiving TDs, with just one fumble, and that's with much less playing time than WP.  Add in that Davenport has fresh legs and a much bigger frame...not sure why Steeler fans wouldn't be jumping for joy that Najeh is finally getting a shot. 
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: December 22, 2007, 06:35 PM »

I totally disagree.  Parker is #1 in rushing yards, but only because the Steelers overused him, and surprise surprise, he ends up injured before the end of the season. 

I agree with your post, but I don't think a broken leg is an "overuse" injury.  That's the kind of freak thing that can happen on the first play of the season, or any other time.

I'd take Tomlinson over Parker any day, that's for sure.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: December 22, 2007, 07:14 PM »

I totally disagree.  Parker is #1 in rushing yards, but only because the Steelers overused him, and surprise surprise, he ends up injured before the end of the season. 

I agree with your post, but I don't think a broken leg is an "overuse" injury.  That's the kind of freak thing that can happen on the first play of the season, or any other time.

I'd take Tomlinson over Parker any day, that's for sure.

Well, I'll give you that, though I do still think they've overused him.  Maybe he would have lasted without the freak broken leg, but that's still a fast way to burn out a running back.  Just pray your Steelers won't last long enough to face my Packers.   ;D
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: December 22, 2007, 08:11 PM »
Maybe, but the Chargers would need a Steelers loss to Baltimore next week.  Possible, but doubtful.

I'm not saying that I think they will be seeded higher than the Steelers.  I just think they're better at this point.  I realize that the Chargers will most likely be the lower seed.

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: December 23, 2007, 08:30 AM »
I lost count of begged Pass Interference calls halfway through the second quarter of last night's Cowboys-Panthers Game.

Why was I so distracted?  The WORST Booth team in the history of sports was calling the game.  I used to feel sorry for people who don't get the NFL Network, but after suffering through Bryant Mumble  and Chris Collingsworth, I feel sorry for those of us that do. 

You know it is bad when my wife is laughing at them.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: December 23, 2007, 10:26 AM »
Yeah yeah yeah.  Must be nice to actually have the NFL Network.  I've missed two games already this week and its not even Sunday at noon.   >:(

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #276 on: December 23, 2007, 01:42 PM »

I will say that the Giants are somewhat hosed on offense without Shockey

Like I said, 40 yards and 0.2 TDs per game.  Honestly I think I could do that.  I'm sure Kevin Boss can handle that massive load.

What the Giants are going to lose with Shockey out is that he's one hell of a blocker.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: December 24, 2007, 01:22 AM »
I saw that Boss had no effect on the game...  did someone else start?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #278 on: December 24, 2007, 01:47 AM »
I can't say I disagree with you totally JediJman, I think you're missing my point is all...  When I call Parker explosive, I'm sure if you broke down his rushing yards and his carries this year, you'd see his average is earned because of an "explosive" burst where he got way more than his average.  And that's where I DON'T care for Parker, as a Steelers fan.

I like him when he does good, but his size doesn't match well with the past offenses, and ones I'm more personally comfortable watching, within the Steelers.  Bettis carried a bunch of guys on his back, and maybe didn't get you the first down, but you got damn close to it...  Parker, he gets stonewalled when he faces defenses that are good against the run.

Add into that, that the Steeler's line has SUCKED this year at any given moment.  They have good moments, so don't get me wrong, but they've fallen apart at any given moment, and that's where I don't care for a guy like Parker's running style...  Bettis could have a weaker line in front, or a stronger defense against him, and you could count on certain things out of him.  Parker it's not so "constant", or reliable.  He's fun to watch when he's on and all, but I prefer slow/steady over that.

That said, Davenport's record isn't the best over the long haul, and again I cite the weaker offensive line the Steelers have going.  And this is from a fan too, so I'm trying to be as loyal as I can, but at the same time I can't help but see a guy like Davenport getting stonewalled against some of the teams we're going to see in the playoffs, based on his past performances.  He's not a guy that adjusts well if a hole's opened up elsewhere, he doesn't bounce outside at all generally, and last week was no litmus test of what he's able to do, or not to do.

I hope he's going to do good though, as a fan.  I think he's capable, and anything can happen, but I'm just not "sure" yet as a fan.

Parker though, he IS good at bouncing outside, looking for a new opening...  It's not my favored style of running game, and it's not as reliable against better teams IMO, but whatever.  It's neither here nor there, and the Steelers are going to have to revert back to a different style of run game.

I'm by no means one of the panicers in the city who are ready to drop the run and let Roethlisberger throw all day though.  You run, you get what you can, and you hope for the best out of your linemen and back(s) in the process, and that it, combined with the pass game, can give you the control and points you're looking for.

I will say, I think comparing the stats of the two men is really unfair based on how they both play/run the ball, and things.  I too don't feel Parker was overused...  Davenport's had lots of carries this year, he just wasn't effective generally when he was carrying the ball, for the duties they were usually assigning to him.  Lots of shorts and goal line stuff he didn't come through on.

I'm excited for the playoffs, but at the same time you hate to go into them losing your starting running back like that...  I will say, I'm more concerned about the Offensive Line stepping up, and the Defense in general playing like they have down the stretch.  >:(
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: December 24, 2007, 02:04 PM »
I saw that Boss had no effect on the game...  did someone else start?

Nah, I watched the whole game and saw him on the field.

The reason that he had no effect was the weather conditions.  It was windy as HELL, and pouring rain, then snow.  So the Giants rushed 47 times yesterday, and completed just 7 passes.  Most were to Toomer, and I think Burress and Jacobs each grabbed one.  I don't know what the record is, but that must have been awfully close to the least number of completions in an NFL game in history.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2007, 02:05 PM by Dressel Rebel »

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: December 24, 2007, 02:47 PM »
I don't know what the record is, but that must have been awfully close to the least number of completions in an NFL game in history.

Just last week Chris Redman completed 4 of 15 for 34 yards against the Bucs.  And the weather was fine. :)

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=271216027

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: December 24, 2007, 09:10 PM »
I just switched over to the Monday Night football game...

I apologize to Gumble and Collingsworth...you are not the WORST booth crew in the NFL.....  Dead air and commercials could not be worse than the MNF crew...

But the ESPN commercials are pretty good this year...

"If you are already a Dynasty, what comes after that?"  pretty good line (despite any feelings one way or another for the team in question)

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: December 25, 2007, 12:37 AM »

Just last week Chris Redman...

LOL.  Who?

I think the low amount of completions just seemed so dreadful because I'm a hardcore Giants fan hanging on every throw.  So obviously the record is 4 completions or less.  Pretty remarkable, really.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: December 25, 2007, 10:21 AM »
The Giants are going to bitch slap the Bucs from end of the field to the other.  Book it.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: December 25, 2007, 03:31 PM »
Finally a prediction you're in pretty good shape to miss on.

The Bucs are going to make Manning look like Ryan Leaf.    :D