Author Topic: NFL 2007-08  (Read 122543 times)

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
Re: NFL 2007-08
« Reply #330 on: January 14, 2008, 03:40 PM »

That said, I'm sure the league would much rather see a Pats/Pack match up - I know I would.

Sure.  Or Pats vs. Bucs.

:-X

Nah, I'm not trying to suggest there was any ratins benefit attached to the Bucs this year - not a single one of their games was televised nationally until the playoff loss to the G-men.

The year they won the Superbowl there was a great ratings angle though - #1 defense vs. #1 offense - Gruden against his former team...  And it was the highest rated Superbowl in many many years (maybe ever, I can't remember) at the time.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: January 14, 2008, 03:41 PM »
A San Diego vs New York Superbowl would have the Drama of Archie Manning telling the NFL to let Eli win it, since his brother got to win one last year.

Plus there was the whole thing where Manning refused to play for the Chargers.

That is what I was alluding to..

It would be neat to see Philip Rivers raising the Lombardi Trophy while Eli sat there mouth-breathing and crying to his daddy that he wanted a do-over.

I do like watching playoff football in the Snow...that is really fun. 

Yeah - missed your allusion.  When you threw Peyton into it, I read your post as Archie wanting both his kids to have a trophy.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: January 14, 2008, 04:21 PM »

Nice to see your team make it so far, but they've got zero chance of keeping up with the Pack at historic Lambeau Field. 

0% ?  I think you might be slightly underestimating the Giants.

Green Bay even spotted Seattle 14pts at the start of the game and STILL ended up scoring 42...imagine what they could do if they were really trying? 

The Packers could just as easily come out and put up 17 against the Giants D.

I do not believe in the Packers.  I think Favre is an interception machine who has been pretty lucky this year.  I think the Giants front 4 have what it takes to force him to throw a bunch of picks.

I think it's going to come down to Eli most likely.  If he's on, we win.  If he's not, we still might win.

The Giants D is gonna hold the Pack to a low score.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #333 on: January 14, 2008, 04:26 PM »
I agree with Dressel...the Giants have the pass rush to get to Favre and in turn force Interceptions (like 3-4).  Ryan Grant is the biggest X-factor in the game and could be the difference.  Home field should also mean something, if not for the Giants being Road Warriors

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #334 on: January 14, 2008, 04:43 PM »
I don't think the Giants are getting their fair due.  I know that they will have a tough game up in Green Bay and if the weather's bad it will only be tougher but no one in the media is congratulating them on playing one hell of a game against the Cowboys.

ESPN's big story is whose fault is it that the Cowboys lost, and they keep showing T.O. crying like a little girl (which I do enjoy watching).

How about showing how the Giants offense has had no turnovers in the playoffs?  How about that the Giants defense compensated for a weakness in the secondary by pushing hard on the front and putting a lot of pressure on Romo resulting in a couple of sacks and even more blown throws.  How about the Giants special teams basically kicking ass and taking names?

I think it's going to be a good, hard fought game up at Lambeau and the winner will win the Superbowl.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline john todd

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm the llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: January 14, 2008, 07:08 PM »
i think the media would be kinder to the giants if they had beaten the cowboys in any other stat other than final score.  i know that is the only one that matters, but it makes the seem soft and lucky.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: January 14, 2008, 08:31 PM »
I just think that the Giants are putting a solid effort into their games lately, and I am glad to see them beat the Cowboys. But it's a shame that they aren't getting their due. They played just as hard as the other 3 teams and earned it like the rest. I guess maybe the media feels the wrong Manning is still in the playoffs. Still, I think the next match is going to be tough at Lambeau, but I'm not going to say they can't win.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: January 14, 2008, 08:45 PM »
I do not believe in the Packers.  I think Favre is an interception machine who has been pretty lucky this year.  I think the Giants front 4 have what it takes to force him to throw a bunch of picks.

An "interception machine?"  Really? He has 15 so far this year - just five more and he'll have as many as Eli.  Does that make Manning an "interception Skynet?"   ;)  And remember, Favre doesn't have a 6'5 receiver like Burress helping his game. 

Yeah, he's thrown a lot of INTs over the years, but that's because he's had no talent around and him and put all the pressure on himself to win games.  He's not doing that this year - he's taking what the defense gives him and that's why they're winning games.  Having Ryan Grant roll for 200+ yards in a game certainly isn't hurting either. 
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: January 14, 2008, 08:46 PM »
I just think that the Giants are putting a solid effort into their games lately... Still, I think the next match is going to be tough at Lambeau, but I'm not going to say they can't win.

Okay, I'll say it.  They can't win.   ;D
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: January 15, 2008, 11:44 AM »
I think it's going to be a good, hard fought game up at Lambeau and the winner will win the Superbowl.

Wow, that's a bold prediction.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: January 15, 2008, 04:13 PM »
Temperature at kick off is slated to be 3 degrees.

I'll take the Pack.

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: January 15, 2008, 04:30 PM »
Pats and Pack will win Sunday.  One game will be a blowout, the other will be competitive.  I'll let others figure out which.

And then we'll have (not the original) LT bitching and moaning and calling the Pats classless.

And then we'll have two weeks of the media sucking Brett Favre off.

And then we'll have 95% of the country rooting for the NFC team.

And then we'll have the only 19-0 team in NFL history...
Common sense isn't so common

Offline john todd

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm the llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: January 15, 2008, 05:08 PM »

i think you might be underestimating.  its kinda weird that pretty much everyone gives the pats their props, but there aren't alot of bandwagoners around the country.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #343 on: January 15, 2008, 06:08 PM »

Wow, that's a bold prediction.

I just don't think the Patriots are invincible.  The Giants would've won the game if Eli had not thrown that interception and if they play again I think the Giants can come out with a win.  The Packers are also a tough, resourceful team and they can beat the Patriots.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: January 15, 2008, 07:21 PM »

i think you might be underestimating.  its kinda weird that pretty much everyone gives the pats their props, but there aren't alot of bandwagoners around the country.

Maybe it's not 95%, but the vast majority of the country will be rooting for the NFC representative.  The Pats went from the lowly underdogs to a very hated team because of their success, the whole Spygate thing, the whole running up the score ****, the way Belichick is viewed, the undefeated record, etc, etc, etc.  You'll have the grizzled old vet trying to win one last SB before he retires or the younger Manning trying to see if he can come out from under his brother's shadow.  People may respect what the Pats have done, but that doesn't mean they'll root for them to win.

I don't think the SB will be a blowout.  We already know the Giants can hang with the Pats and the Pack are very well balanced.   But it will be drilled into the Pats' players that yes, 18-0 is great but it doesn't mean dick if its not 19-0.  They'll be ready to play.  The Super Bowl isn't the game to have a letdown (which I think they already did with the Philly and Baltimore games.  They just found a way to win those).

(And yes I may be looking pass the Bolts, but I guarantee the Pats aren't doing the same thing.  They'll talk about how good the Chargers are, it'll be a tough game, blah, blah, blah.  I think they don't have a chance.  Too many injuries and the Pats are just too good.  That's a fan talking, not the Patriots).
Common sense isn't so common