Author Topic: NFL 2007-08  (Read 121643 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: NFL 2007-08
« Reply #360 on: January 16, 2008, 05:43 PM »
My bad.

Either way, Favre is 43-5 when the temperature is below 34 degrees.  I'd say that's pretty consistent.

2 of said losses are said playoff games...

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: January 16, 2008, 08:37 PM »
My bad.

Either way, Favre is 43-5 when the temperature is below 34 degrees.  I'd say that's pretty consistent.

And your point is?  I hate to break it to you, but 11 teams lose a playoff game every year and 20 teams don't even make the playoffs.  By definition, a playoff loss means you went further than at least 20 other teams.

Regardless, I really can't see why anyone would be anti-favre, even if you're not a Packer fan.  No one plays the game with his enthusiasm, he never misses a game, he's a good role model, and he has made some amazing plays and comebacks over the years.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #362 on: January 16, 2008, 10:59 PM »
My bad.

And your point is?
He hasn't won many big games recently and not many big games ever.

Why am I anti-Favre?  I think he is probably the 2nd Most Overrated Football player in the NFL right now and I can't stand the media obsession with him.  Probably there is some jealousy there and yeah, I hate the Packers...any more reasons?

BTW...I'm not alone

Mike of Mike and Mike thinks so too (he wrote this last year before Vick imploded)

I have been wrongly accused of being a Brett Favre basher.  People think I dislike Brett Favre.  People sometimes attach that to my attachment to Chicago.  I lived in and worked in Chicago for 11 years, and I covered the Bears, and the Bears and Packers are arch-rivals.  That could not possibly matter less to me in regards to this.  I have enormous admiration for Brett Favre.  I think he is an all-time great player.  I did get very aggravated with the way I thought he held up the franchise last year, and I am continuously aggravated by the way the franchise handles him.  That’s not necessarily his fault, and he certainly is neither the first nor the last superstar player who gets treatment from a franchise that I personally think is detrimental to the organization.  So it isn’t the biggest deal in the world; every once in a while, I voice it.  Because Favre is so above it, Favre is so untouchable, so unrippable, that anyone who dares to say anything even remotely away from “I just love number 4″, you are perceived as being a basher of Brett Favre, which I would take issue with.  And I will tell you the comparison I would make in my mind.  To me, Brett Favre is the Nolan Ryan of football.  When Nolan Ryan went into the Hall of Fame with the highest percentage of votes of any player in history - no player has ever gotten more votes for the Hall of Fame than Nolan Ryan did.  He went in on the first ballot, which he deserved to do, but he got a higher percentage of the vote than anybody else ever has.  There were people who didn’t vote for Willie Mays.  There were people who didn’t vote for everyone who ever went into the Hall of Fame.  No one has ever been elected on a unanimous ballot.  And no one ever got a higher percentage of the vote than Nolan Ryan.  And my comment - and Bob Picozzi stood united with me on this, and we just got murdered - was that Nolan Ryan is the most overrated pitcher of all time.  That is true.  Now that does not mean that he isn’t great.  Nolan Ryan is great.  He absolutely belongs in the Hall of Fame.  He belongs in the big room in the Hall of Fame, and he deserved to be a first ballot Hall of Famer.  He is an all-time great.  But he’s not one of the ten best pitchers that ever lived.  He absolutely is not.  To me, it’s inarguable; now the beauty of sports is that everything is arguable.  If you asked me, what pitcher in my lifetime would I pay to go watch, the first guy I’d pick is Nolan Ryan, because he’s got the best chance at pitching a no hitter, and he’s got the best chance at going out and striking out 17 guys.  So, that’s the guy I’d pay to go watch.  He was the most watchable pitcher, and because he had the swagger, he was the cowboy, he pitched so late into his career, he was an honorable, good guy, I like him, I’ve interviewed him, he’s a terrific guy, and because Robin Ventura once, for reasons known only to him, rushed the mound and Nolan Ryan treated him like a four-year-old child, Nolan Ryan is a folk hero, and deserves to be.  He was terrific.  He was a terrific pitcher and a terrific guy.  But he’s not one of the ten best pitchers of all time.  I mean, he absolutely is not.  But if you say that, there is such devotion, fans love him so much, that they went crazy!  They went crazy on me.  I remember one guy called me up, and I said, if you tell me that Nolan Ryan is as good as Roger Clemens, then in my opinion, you are demonstrating that you don’t know anything about baseball.  And the guy said to me, well, you just don’t like people from Texas.  Where is Roger Clemens from, New Jersey?  He’s from Texas!  He grew up idolizing Nolan Ryan.  Nolan Ryan is an all-time great.  He’s not one of the ten best pitchers ever.  Now, that takes you to Brett Favre.  Brett Favre, to me, is just like Nolan Ryan.  He’s a gunslinger, he’s a cowboy, he’s playing late into his career, everybody loves him, he’s a good guy, there’s nothing about him not to love, but he’s not one of the absolute best quarterbacks of all time.  This is my opinion; this is all I can tell you.  It’s not as inarguable, because you’ve got numbers: he’s second on the all-time list in completions, second on the all-time list in passing yards, second on the all-time list in touchdown passes, and second on the all-time list in games won as a starting quarterback.  He’s behind Marino in three of those stats and Elway in another.  So he’s got the numbers to back it up, and Nolan Ryan has the numbers.  Nolan Ryan has more strikeouts than anybody, more no-hitters than anybody.  But, this is just my opinion: Brett Favre, because of the accomplishments, because of the swagger, because he is the most watchable quarterback of his generation and among the most watchable of all time, I think he is sometimes overrated.  Not only do I personally - this is one man’s opinion - not only don’t I think he’s as good as Elway or Marino or Montana, I don’t even think he’s really close.  That’s just me from watching his career.  Now people go nuts when you say that, two different groups of people.  There are the Packer fans, and that I certainly understand.  If he’s your guy, I wish more than anything that the Jets had Favre for 15 years.  Don’t get me wrong.  And if you are a Packer fan today and you are screaming at me right now, I don’t blame you one bit.  And then there are the other group of fans who just love Brett Favre.  People just love the guy.  He’s like Nolan Ryan, and again, he’s the most watchable quarterback: if there’s just one guy you want to pay to watch, right now that guy is probably Michael Vick, but from a difference sense, it’s Favre, because he’s going to either throw a touchdown or an interception every time he takes a snap.  He’s going to go back there, and he’s going to try to throw the ball through a wall.  Golic always calls it throwing it through a keyhole.  He is endlessly watchable.  You get no argument from me on that whatsoever.  And he’s an all-time great.  He belongs in the Hall of Fame, just like Nolan Ryan, he belongs in the big room in the Hall of Fame.  He is definitively a first-ballot Hall of Famer.  But, does he belong - just my opinion, just one man’s opinion - in the discussion with Marino, Elway, Otto Graham, Sammy Baugh, Johnny Unitas, the very greatest quarterbacks of all time?  My opinion, no.  You want to lose your mind on me?  I understand.

Oh...and the most overrated player in the NFL right now...

« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 11:00 PM by Scott »

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: January 16, 2008, 11:18 PM »
^That's only because Vick is in prison now.

He was by far the most overrated hack in the league.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: January 17, 2008, 11:28 AM »
He should have stopped the long winded waffling after this: "I have enormous admiration for Brett Favre.  I think he is an all-time great player. " 

He's an all-time great player and you admire him and he has the stats to outshine almost every QB that has ever played, ...but in Mike's opinion, he's just not of the greatest QBs in history and you have not one thing to back that up with other than your opinion.  Sounds like a brilliant analysis to me.   ::)
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: January 17, 2008, 11:53 AM »

Oh...and the most overrated player in the NFL right now...

Urlacher?

I wouldn't say he's the most overrated.  If anything, I'd say he's been a big disappointment but not overrated.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2008, 11:54 AM by ruiner »

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: January 17, 2008, 01:37 PM »

I know you're pimping your team here, but try to be objective - especially with that bastion of reliability, Eli Manning, helming your team.

What can I say, I believe in our bookend DE's rushing Favre and forcing the turnovers.

I'm going Giants vs. Patriots.

We'll see.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: January 17, 2008, 02:30 PM »
Fair enough - I'm sure if it were me I'd be confident in my team too.  :)

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: January 17, 2008, 02:38 PM »

I'd go against my own team's chances and shoot for pleasant surprise.  ;) Only reason I'm not is that I have seen pretty strong play out of the Pack all season versus strong play from the Giants for two weeks, AND the game is in Lambeau.  Play that game in Jersey and I would be much less confident. 

Of course, we're all guessing wrong because San Deigo is going to crush the Pats this weekend.   ;D :o ;D

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: January 17, 2008, 03:45 PM »
I wonder what the Vegas odds are of an upset in Boston.

You might be able to bet $10.00 and win $1,000.00.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: January 17, 2008, 04:56 PM »

I'd go against my own team's chances and shoot for pleasant surprise.  ;) Only reason I'm not is that I have seen pretty strong play out of the Pack all season versus strong play from the Giants for two weeks, AND the game is in Lambeau.  Play that game in Jersey and I would be much less confident. 

For me it's the precise opposite.  The Giants won almost every road game, and lost almost every home game.  This year, they're road warriors.  So based on that, you should want the Pack in Jersey.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: January 17, 2008, 05:31 PM »
For me it's the precise opposite.  The Giants won almost every road game, and lost almost every home game.  This year, they're road warriors.  So based on that, you should want the Pack in Jersey.

Well the Packers won against every team not named Bears or Cowboys this year, so since they're not playing the Bears or Cowboys, I'll chalk them up for a win. 

There is no rationale to winning games on the road like there is to winning games at home.  Home games are likely to have a more familiar field, you get the fan support - what is your rationale for winning home games other than luck or schedule?  I certainly wouldn't bet any of my money on a road team just because they're on the road.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: January 18, 2008, 09:33 AM »

Well the Packers won against every team not named Bears or Cowboys this year,

So the Giant do have a chance!

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: January 18, 2008, 02:18 PM »

Well the Packers won against every team not named Bears or Cowboys this year,

So the Giant do have a chance!

How do you figure?

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: January 18, 2008, 02:21 PM »
Because if the ****** Bears can beat GB; NY certainly has a chance!

;)