Author Topic: What Do You Do With Your Older Figures?  (Read 5878 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
What Do You Do With Your Older Figures?
« on: August 6, 2007, 01:19 PM »
I know this isn't necessarily just a TAC topic, but more so covering all of the modern lines, but I wasn't sure where best to put it.  I was curious, with all the nicely done resculpts we've seen over the past few years (and more to come), do you keep displaying your earlier POTF2 (or in some cases, EP1/POTJ/SAGA) figures.  Do you "retire" them and replace them with newer versions?  If so, do you keep the older figures, or get rid of them?

Right now, I have retired the majority of the older figures to save on space, and replaced them with whatever version is the best one that we've gotten.  I just have them in ziplock bags packed away, thinking it would be nice to keep them.  I've thought about getting them all out, and just putting them all in a box for our nephews to play with when they come over (or our daughter someday, if she's ever interested).  Anyways, just curious what you guys do with older figures.  I know some have room and desire to display them all, but for people like me, space is more limited - so something has to be packed up.  Again, sorry if this topic is in the wrong area.  I guess it could go in "Collector's Tips", but it seems like that area is rarely visited.

Offline JangoTat

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: What Do You Do With Your Older Figures?
« Reply #1 on: August 6, 2007, 01:24 PM »
Well right now that is not a problem for me but when ever i have two different versions of the same guy i simply just put the better one in a Dio and place the older one in just a line up with other Misc figures. If you have ever seen my collection page you would see what i mean. I personally would never get rid of any of my figures though, my old ones just have some good memories that go along with them ( watching the movies and trying to recreate it with my toys) But i guess when i get my own house and (if) i ever get married im sure my space would be reduced. If that be the case i would only display my best and leave the older in safe storage for the kids.
School has been on strike all month. so much for the summer job I was hoping to get D:

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 6, 2007, 01:29 PM »
Most of mine are piled up behind the things that build up the 'bleachers' on my shelves, or worked into areas where a character might fit in more than once..

Offline Ook

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 6, 2007, 06:08 PM »
I get rid of the ones that really blow, like POTF Biggs.

He's available for trade, if you want him... :D

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 6, 2007, 07:19 PM »
Brian, you've hit on something I've been thinking a lot about lately.  I keep my figures in Plano Stowaway boxes, so pretty much everything is in storage, albeit an easily accessible one.  As I've looked at the stacks of them in the closet, though, I've frequently wondered lately why I bother to hang on to some of the older figures.  Wouldn't they do someone else much more good by being out on display than they would packed away in a closet? 

Because of that, I've been seriously toying (no pun intended) with donating a large portion of my collection to a local children's home or shelter so it would get some actual use.  While the POTF2 He-Man Luke might be the funniest thing in the world to us, I imagine some kids would who have nothing would really enjoy it.  I'm curious, though, as to how one would go about donating such a large amount of stuff.  Anyone have any suggestions?

Offline Greedo The Green Menace

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 7, 2007, 03:58 AM »
I usually give my oldies to my younger brother of 9 years. He lacks the finances to get his own so he's always thrilled to get my older figs as random gifts to add to his budding collection.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 7, 2007, 09:19 AM »
Great topic.

I'm still keeping my POTF2 stuff for archivel's sake. At first I had a separate display shelf for that stuff, but when I get to have my office back, I probably just put them away in a box.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 7, 2007, 10:59 AM »
For me, two words: fodder bin. For customs and stuff. That way, I'm not displaying a poor figure next to one that is obviously far superior to it, but at least I'm getting some use out of them. Great topic btw.  8)
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #8 on: August 7, 2007, 12:24 PM »
DP,

If you are looking to donate your older figures to a children's hospital or something similar, just give the local Children's hospital a call, they'll give you all the information you need.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 7, 2007, 01:07 PM »
There are several things I can do with these figs. Use for custom fodder, trade, sell, keep in the storage boxes I already have them in, and finally but not least donate them. There are some places that will take loose toys for kids. I'd rather see a kid get this who might want it, than for it to just sit in storage.
Some of these figs are decent ones too, not just the old POTF2 stuff. For instance the extra Maces, Vaders, Aaylas and Anakins from battle packs are put into a box marked for donation. Just to name a few. Practically all of the Jedi figs from the Order 66 packs are also in the donate box.

Heck I figure if I can give a kid Vader and several Jedi,  they've got a mini collection in the works. At least enough to play with for awhile.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #10 on: August 8, 2007, 02:38 AM »
2007's been the year of retirement...  My "older" sculpts usually get packed away.  I removed 4-LOM just the other day actually because his superior sculpt's on its way. 

I usually dig up any extra doo-dads the figure came with and they go into a bag, then a box together.  It's truly sad when you see the sheer number of Vader figures made since 1995 all lying together because the "ultimates" are the only ones I'm going to give the shelf space to for the most part.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #11 on: August 8, 2007, 03:07 AM »
I think I may actually display them all together just to show the evolution of them...maybe even Vintage to modern!
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 8, 2007, 10:37 PM »
I kinda still like the POTF2 stuff :-X  It's the time I started collecting so they have some meaning to me still.  But I do understand that having 17 farmboy Luke's is a little much, really. 

I've been really torn on the whole Hasbro thing of late, thinning the collection every couple of weeks, reducing numbers here and there.  I'm really flipping back and forth on actually just stopping with them altogether, but the OT stuff coming out is just too neat to pass on.  I often think of unloading everything PT, save clone wars stuff, but really, I won't make money on much of it. 

There's just so much crap in my house :-\
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 9, 2007, 03:24 AM »
For me, two words: fodder bin. For customs and stuff. That way, I'm not displaying a poor figure next to one that is obviously far superior to it, but at least I'm getting some use out of them. Great topic btw.  8)

That's exactly what I do too.  I've got at least 2000 figures in fodder bins now, just thrown in there.  Lost tons of accessories in the process, but that's ok.  I overbuy all pretty much each wave for extras I could need someday, and then later on look back and say "hey, now I'm glad I bought a few extra Pote Snikins (or whoever) because now there are NEW parts available later on that I can use to make something like one of these -

Basically in that instance, I had saved a couple Pote Snikins just for the hope that somewhere down the road I'd find something to do with them... By focusing part of my collecting on customizing, the old stuff turns into NEW stuff for me.  Helps me get through collecting droughts all the time.   If I can't find anything new, then I'll just make a few new figures to hold me over and try and squeeze them into a photonovel.  Heck, now that I've got the Comic Pack Mara Jade, I can also go back and customizing my old Mara and add another female custom to my dioramas.  8)

Now I might get rid of a few things here and there (sometimes sell older figures super cheap at garage sales for the kiddos or give to my wife's classroom for the special eduction kids, who love Star Wars).  But giving to charity is definitely a great idea too.

:P
« Last Edit: August 9, 2007, 03:27 AM by CHEWIE »

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 9, 2007, 08:37 AM »
I kinda still like the POTF2 stuff :-X  It's the time I started collecting so they have some meaning to me still.  But I do understand that having 17 farmboy Luke's is a little much, really. 

I've been really torn on the whole Hasbro thing of late, thinning the collection every couple of weeks, reducing numbers here and there.  I'm really flipping back and forth on actually just stopping with them altogether, but the OT stuff coming out is just too neat to pass on.  I often think of unloading everything PT, save clone wars stuff, but really, I won't make money on much of it. 

There's just so much crap in my house :-\

I hear you there Brent.  I really like about everything in my collection, but with the Star Wars stuff - not to mention the "other crap" I collect - it just seems like a whole mess of junk :).  I still like the POTF2 figures too, for what they are, and they have a bit of "nostalgia" to them as well - just marking the whole comeback of Star Wars to retail.  I don't know that I would ever get rid of them, but they've had to be packed away just due to lack of room.  If there are figures that haven't seen updates/redos, I keep them out, but otherwise away they go.

Its crazy how much new Hasbro SW stuff I've picked up the past couple years.  At one time I considered thinning the herd back to OT/Clone Wars as well - much like yourself - but ROTS kind of changed that opinion.  I really enjoyed that movie, and have come to appreciate at least some portions/characters of the PT more now.  There is just so much nice stuff coming out these days, that its hard to quit.  I'd admit, it would be easier.  Heck, it would be easier if I could just stick to one line too - but then there's that pesky Marvel stuff, and DC, and Joes, and next year Indy.  It never ends :P.