Author Topic: NFL 2007-08  (Read 121391 times)

Offline john todd

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm the llama!
    • View Profile
Re: NFL 2007-08
« Reply #480 on: February 4, 2008, 06:26 PM »
Anyone else think Manning DIDN'T deserve the MVP?

Me...

me too... someone from the defense should have gotten it.  the offense sucked for most of the game putting up only 3 points.  if not for brilliant defense,  the pats would have run up the score and eli would have had to force plays and he would have looked like early season eli.

of course brady has at least 2 superbowl mvp's because no one stood out, so why not eli.

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: February 4, 2008, 07:09 PM »
Anyone else think Manning DIDN'T deserve the MVP?

Me..

I mean Wes Welker can't do it all...well he can but they won't let him.

But seriously...

There was no one defensive Standout...or one single defensive play that made a difference.  It had to go to the winning quarterback by default.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #482 on: February 4, 2008, 07:17 PM »
Now there are actually NFL rules saying that coaches can only wear suits or something like that 2 times a season.  The rest of the season these guys have to wear team attire.  WTF kind of rule is that?

That's really interesting.  I don't see the Jaguars that much, but it seems that Jack Del Rio is in a suit every time I do see him.

So busy since yesterday, but Dressel's Super Bowl take a little later!

Jack Del Rio has been one of the coaches that's been pushing for this.  I've seen him wear suits on the sidelines, but supposedly the rule is twice a season.

It's probably some marketing/merchandising thing, where they want the coaches to wear the licensed merchandise.  Effectively making them some kind of a living advertisment.
Actually, former Vikings Coach (and now Jags assistant) Mike Tice was really pushing for the suits back when he took over for Denny Green.  He actually wore one and got fined because it was not league approved which is why Reebok actually came out with an official game suit

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: February 4, 2008, 07:48 PM »
  That play along with the win just ensured both of their inductions into the Hall of Fame.

I know it's early in his career, but I'm not sure that David Tyree is a lock for the Hall of Fame just yet.  Neither is Eli, for that matter, but he already has a MUCH better chance than Tyree.  Players don't get into the Hall on one play ... even if it is one of the greatest plays in Super Bowl history.

As for Eli deserving the MVP ... of course he did.  As someone mentioned, too many Giants defenders played great to single one out.  And, Eli passed for something like 152 yards ... in the 4th quarter alone!  He led them on the drive that gave them the lead at 10-7 early in the 4th, and then he pulled his Houdini imitation and led them on the game-winning drive.  No one was more deserving of the MVP than he was.  And it wasn't even close.

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: February 4, 2008, 08:19 PM »
While I'm disappointed in the outcome (come on, how cool would it have been for the Pats--or any team--to have an undefeated season?), I thought it was a fantastic game.  I can't remember seeing another game I enjoyed more.  Gotta give it to the Giants, and Eli.  That play...holy crap, that play....
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: February 4, 2008, 09:36 PM »
While I'm disappointed in the outcome (come on, how cool would it have been for the Pats--or any team--to have an undefeated season?), I thought it was a fantastic game.  I can't remember seeing another game I enjoyed more.  Gotta give it to the Giants, and Eli.  That play...holy crap, that play....

I would say that it would not be cool at all.  Not sure about you, but the thought of hearing about Randy and his undefeated season for the next fifty years makes me want to vomit.  Thank you Elly Manning!
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #486 on: February 6, 2008, 02:06 PM »
I am so happy the patriots lost.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #487 on: February 8, 2008, 09:27 AM »
The outcome of the game could have been much worse.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: February 8, 2008, 10:42 AM »
Sicko...

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: February 9, 2008, 10:59 AM »
Sports talk radio in New York seems OBSESSED with naming the pass from Eli Manning to David Tyree.  Obviously it was the turning point of the game, and a lot of the commentators are calling it quite possibly the biggest play in Super Bowl history.  But does it really have to have a name?!?!?
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: February 9, 2008, 12:32 PM »
Miracle on Grass? ala the US Hockey team beating the Soviets in 80 in where-else: New York.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #491 on: February 9, 2008, 01:06 PM »
Hail Manning

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: February 9, 2008, 06:02 PM »
« Last Edit: February 9, 2008, 06:03 PM by Dressel Rebel »
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #493 on: February 9, 2008, 06:09 PM »
Why would the Manning-Tyree play be called the Hail Strahan?

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: February 9, 2008, 09:43 PM »
Why would the Manning-Tyree play be called the Hail Strahan?

No duh!  :)

I'm just saying - Manning was great in the 4th quarter, but if it weren't for the D keeping Brady to 14 points, we'd have gotten our butts kicked.

I guess Eli should get the MVP for leading those 2 TD drives in the 4th quarter, but if you look at the whole game, the Co-MVP's should have been Strahan, Umenyiora, Cofield, Robbins, Tuck, and hell, even the secondary.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda