Author Topic: Any good stuff coming out this year? Or just prequel and EU stuff?  (Read 4415 times)

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
Seriously.  Am I missing something here, or does the OT not get any love in 2008?  Is it because it got so much love in 2007?  First three waves are prequel, EU, EU, and the last half of the year is gonna be all EU, apparently.  Aside from that rumored new Falcon, I can't think of very much else from the OT that's on tap this year.

What's the deal?
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
Re: Any good stuff coming out this year? Or just prequel and EU stuff?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 12:35 AM »
Preaching to the choir, my friend!  I don't get it either.  I'm actually quite surprised Hasbro has embraced EU so much.  I guess I'll spend my dollar on some Sideshow and Gentle Giant for a while.
Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 12:38 AM »
EU's EU...  The line almost had to go that way at some point.  I mean, after 30 years you have to admit that they're going to milk the OT to a point where (with as much as they put out in a year) they have to ease off a little bit.

That said, We've basically seen 3 waves of 2008 figures now...  It's early.  And Wave 2 is technically not to even be there since it was slated for last year...  Maybe we'd have seen something OT-ish in there if it weren't for that.

However, with Clone Wars dominating the latter part of the year, ROTS still being somewhat "fresh"...  I think the inevitable thing is a lot of PT.  I'm sure we'll see some OT at Toy Fair, but EU and PT are going to be big...  I'd say between the two of them, that they're bound to outnumber OT stuff really.   :-\
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline MetalJedi

• Jedi Knight
  • The Risk Always Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008, 04:39 AM »
For me the EU stuff is good stuff.  :)
I remember my dream now.

Offline ctonra

• Jedi Initiate
  • J316
    • View Profile
not sure where to put this but the Uk toy fair is going on
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2008, 07:01 AM »
not sure if this is the right place to post this but just wanted to let everyone know the UK toy fair is underway and guess what one toy line is being kept secret for 2008 that they are not letting any press in..................STAR WARS.
Check it out here.

And check out the new chronicles of narnia 3 3/4 line:  link   link #2   link #3
« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 10:20 AM by Jeff »
Stimpy, sometimes your wealth of ignorance astounds me.

Offline AndyG

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Imperial Outpost
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2008, 07:15 AM »
Overall, I'm not too fussed about this years releases.

I don't collect anything outside of OT and PT so it will be a relatively cheap year for me and less time will be taken up finding stuff.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 10:20 AM by Jeff »

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2008, 07:56 AM »
Again I assumed it would be a light year for the OT because of Unleashed and the Clone Wars cartoon coming up.  I am surprised they used wave 3 entirely for Clone Wars when the series is out in the fall.  I guess it's because of the Unleashed delay and they already made these figures last year and want to push them now? 

Yeah, I am a bit surprised that there is hardly anything for the OT yet.  I guess they figure EU is hot so they are willing to strike on that while it is.  Comic Packs, etc.  We do have to remember they made a lot of OT figures last year. 

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2008, 08:59 AM »
Somewhere, I read last week that we won't be disappointed with the OT offerings, but at this point, my collecting enthusiasm is way down. 5 waves back to back of non-OT figures (yes, I know we had the Mc Reb) is waaay to long.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 08:59 AM by Darth_Anton »
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2008, 10:29 AM »
Somewhere, I read last week that we won't be disappointed with the OT offerings

In our last Q&A session, Hasbro said "trust us, there is much OTC goodness to come in 2008", so that may be what you were thinking of Anton.  They have already confirmed at least a new RotJ wave for the Fall and they have already confirmed that the basic stuff will continue to ship alongside the CW stuff in the fall.  I'll wait until after Toy Fair before I get too disappointed in the lack of OT stuff in 2008...

I am surprised they used wave 3 entirely for Clone Wars when the series is out in the fall.

I think it's just the fact that they wanted one last chance to get those designs from the old cartoon show before they jump into the new cartoon in the Fall.  I am glad they did it because I was happy to see a few of those figures (Mon cal, Quarren) and the chances of them doing any more "old" cartoon stuff probably drops off dramatically once they are onto the line for new show.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2008, 03:25 PM »
If you think about it there is a lot of OT goodness already announced..err...leaked: x2 Evo Rebel sets, OT SA ESB Evo Boba-Fett, Marvel comic packs with Jabba. I think the next waves after 3 will be heavy on the OT until the new CW show. They are not forgetting about it at all.
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2008, 03:39 PM »
Good point Matt, not much OT related stuff this year that we know of compared to everything else, at least not with core characters... now, I wasn't really wanting a vintage line this year, but now I have second thoughts... just to get some new OT sculpts, if nothing else.

I'd like to at least see a new Jabba's Palace wave or something.  Give me a new Gamorrean Guard, Oola, a Sgt. Doalyn (sp?), slave Leia, etc.

Though it's probably a bit too early to know what's really on tap for this year yet.  I'm hoping to see a few more OT figures for sure.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 1, 2008, 09:05 AM »
If you think about it there is a lot of OT goodness already announced..err...leaked: x2 Evo Rebel sets, OT SA ESB Evo Boba-Fett, Marvel comic packs with Jabba.

Depends on how you look at it. Yo have to take the EU with the OT. :P

I think the next waves after 3 will be heavy on the OT until the new CW show. They are not forgetting about it at all.

I think that as well. Hoping we'll see these at TF.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 1, 2008, 09:59 AM »