Author Topic: Brians Toys  (Read 2682 times)

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
Brians Toys
« on: September 25, 2007, 10:31 PM »
Brian's toys service/pricing has always boggled my mind. I do not understand how the guy stays in business with such ridiculous mark ups. I do not mind paying a few extra dollars for the convenience but not 60% more. With so many great choices like NFC & D&S SciFi why bother with him. I crack up when I see websites make special note of what they have in stock. I always head on over to his site to get a laugh at what he is charging. (I know almost every Star Wars site has them for a sponsor for support)

Is it me? Who buys from him? I am very curious who in the community does.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2007, 10:32 PM by JACKOFTRADZE »
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: Brians Toys
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2007, 10:47 PM »
Who buys from him?

#1 - Impatient people who absolutely, positively need it now.  BT sometimes gets stuff in early because they pay air freight to have it first.  Some folks have money to burn and apparently don't care about price.

#2 - People who don't know any better.  Like you say, they sponsor a number of sites, they have ads in the SW Insider and other big toy magazines.  I'm sure a lot of people who go there have never heard of NewForce or D&S or the many other littler shops out there.  Their fault for not shopping around I guess.

#3 - Vintage collectors who don't trust eBay.  I've heard a number of folks say they prefer BT because it's "safer" than eBay.  Not sure what it means or if it's true, just what I've heard.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2007, 11:46 PM »
I'd say it's true on #3...  Not that BT is your best source for vintage either.  At least not always anyway, but BT does well on vintage as far as getting what they describe and such.  They're a company I'd trust on vintage, but again that's if you don't want the risks of Ebay coupled with the sometimes higher price on vintage at Brian's Toys.

On modern I tend not to go there, but I have bought stuff (modern) off them on sale that usually equated to retail...  I got some Evolutions sets off them for $20 + shipping.  I was happy with that back in the day.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2007, 12:46 AM »
Sometimes, they have what you're looking for in stock, and about the same price as ebay. Back in 2000, I was looking for the EU Leia from 1998, and I got from there shipped for about $15, which was about the same price it was going for on ebay.

Then, when they first started selling vintage Joes, their prices were pretty reasonable, so I cleaned house then. That's not the case now, that's for sure. Most things pictured on the site aren't even in stock.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2007, 07:21 AM »
Really, IMO, Brians Toys is just a scalper who gets to order direct from Hasbro.  When people see UGH's or McQuarrie figures on ebay for $20 on ebay, they scream scalper.  When they see the same thing at Brians Toys, they say they are a legitmate business who can charge what they want since they can't get the big discounts of TRU, Walmart and Target.  Personally, I don't see a difference.  Brians Toys has an advantage over many other e-tailers since they will sell individual figures.  I'm a two of each collector on 3 3/4" figures, but I still don't order from Brians Toys.  I ordered two UGH cases from Newforce, so I'm still short a second CZ-4, but I won't pay $15 - $20 for it.  I find it funny that at a minimum you pay $10 a figure at Brians Toys (and thats without shipping), but at NewForce, your per figure price works out to be about $7.07, shipping included.  That really isn't much more than retail considering TRU is at $6.99 right now.

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2007, 08:21 AM »
I remember buying from him when he first started out with a small add in magazines like action figure digest and lee's. There was no website, no full page adds, nothing like that. I used to call up and speak to Brian directly. The prices were "reasonable" for the items i purchased (mostly vintage items like mail away POTF coins). I dont remmeber how many years ago this was but i feel like i have not dealt with him for at least 10 years now.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline DarkKnight2k4

• Jedi Apprentice
  • You underestimate my power...
    • View Profile
    • New Jersey Star Wars Collectors Club
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2007, 08:39 AM »
I've never bought from them... and probably never will....

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2007, 09:36 AM »
I've never bought from them... and probably never will....

WORD!

Interesting perspectives/points, the vintage figure comment was interesting at best. Overall the answers are what I assumed. In my opinion, he is a scalper and has the right to be so but he will not get my coin. If he charged fairly I would have done business with him. I will stick with NFC.
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2007, 09:40 AM »
I bought from Brian's Toys when I first got back into collecting, picking up some vintage (loose) figures and some of the POTF2 (loose) figures.  As far as those two things went (at that time, 98/99), the prices were pretty reasonable for the most part.  Part of it for me was what was mentioned earlier, I didn't know of the other sites out there.  I gave BT a try, and had good luck, so I stuck with them for those types of things.  I don't know that I have ever bought a modern "new" (as in just came out) figure from them, and probably haven't bought anything there since 99 or 2000.  I can see the point of getting vintage figures there (particularly loose).  I haven't looked at prices in awhile, but it in a way could just be easier than the "risk" of ebay - it all depends I guess.  As far as the modern stuff goes though, I can't believe how insane the prices are there.  Especially when the majority of it could be had for retail or slightly above if you just had the patience.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2007, 02:07 PM »
There's a sucker born every minute - if I could get away with charging you guys $20 a figure, I'd do it.

Offline john todd

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm the llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2007, 04:23 PM »
with the explosion of ebay, i am not sure how he keeps up his prices, but back in the day, they would charge a ton for the newest figures, and in a day or 2 everyone would be sold out except Brian's.  pretty much his whole deal was that if you wanted the newest or hard to find figures he would always have them, but it would cost you.  it was just up to you if you wanted to hit every target and walmart in town every day or try ebay, or just pay up for the figures you missed.

i have only used brian's a couple of times.  i got in on the vintage luke jedi/vader blow out from several years ago and i bought a green carded lando from them.  both were pretty good deals.  but, i have never and probably will never buy a current release figure from them for $15+.

Offline Mainland05

• Jedi Apprentice
  • inventing a time machine :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 6, 2007, 11:06 PM »
I have been recieving their catalogues, in the mail for the past 8 years, and their prices for new figures NEVER change!! It is crazy, that they would even think people would buy from them and those high prices, and to know that some people do.

Blows my mind, everytime.

Although, it is nice to get excited every now and then, to see a really great Star Wars based store, that literally has EVERYTHING.

Kinda like, a fat kid in a candy shop. (no offense at all).  ;)
Born & Raised Modesto Man. :)

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 6, 2007, 11:15 PM »
Mainland05 ...is alive?
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline Mainland05

• Jedi Apprentice
  • inventing a time machine :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 6, 2007, 11:36 PM »
Mainland05 ...is alive?

HAHAHA.

Hard to believe??
Born & Raised Modesto Man. :)

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 7, 2007, 09:25 AM »
Who buys from him?

#1 - Impatient people who absolutely, positively need it now.  BT sometimes gets stuff in early because they pay air freight to have it first.  Some folks have money to burn and apparently don't care about price.

I've seen this first hand. There's a guy out here who bought a collection from a good buddy of mine and had Cloud City Collectable on speed dial. He called them to see what they were charging so he knew what a fair price would be to offer my buddy. Insane. The we went to his mansion. Room full of Vintage toys, bins of last 17 figures just laying around. We were speechless.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."