Author Topic: NHL 2007 - 2008  (Read 39654 times)

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
Re: NHL 2007 - 2008
« Reply #60 on: March 30, 2008, 12:49 AM »
Good God! The Oilers are alive!   :o

Still a ways to go yet tho.  :-\

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #61 on: March 30, 2008, 06:57 AM »
The Avs' amazing comeback win the other night didn't help you guys too much. ;)

In all seriousness though, the Oil have been areally fun team to watch over the last few weeks here. I wish Dallas would have continues their slide (sorry Paul) I would love to see all five teams from the best division in hockey make the playoffs. This has sure been an excited last few weeks in hockey. The Colorado and Minnesota game should be a great one tomorrow. If the Avs can win their next three they may be overtake the Wild in the Northwest. I've already got the playoff beard going. :)
"This is the way."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #62 on: March 30, 2008, 03:06 PM »
I personally hate the scoring system in the NHL...  In the East Carolina's 3rd on the list (unless someone in their division passed them, which I doubt) and yet they've been nowhere near some of the other teams, including the Penguins, yet have shown above them in the standings.  I simply hate that and don't see how that's possibly a fair system... 

Pen's beat the Rangers and their incessantly whiney fans, so that's good today.  A real playoff team challenge and with a W so I'm happy about that. :)  It soothes that 5-1 loss to the Islanders.  Dunno why but we always have bad luck on the island.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #63 on: March 30, 2008, 10:07 PM »
If the Avs can win their next three they may be overtake the Wild in the Northwest.

You got 1 point, but we got 2 to lock us into the playoffs...   :-*

I simply hate that and don't see how that's possibly a fair system... 

Well, there has to be some reward for winning your own division.  If not the #1-3 seed, then what?
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #64 on: March 31, 2008, 01:10 AM »
If the Avs can win their next three they may be overtake the Wild in the Northwest.

You got 1 point, but we got 2 to lock us into the playoffs...   :-*

Touche. It was a great game today. I would have loved to see the Avs complete the comeback again but at least they got 1 point to stay ahead of Nashville and jump in front of Calgary. I'm hoping the Avs can finish in the 3rd or the 6th seeds so they are likely to play a Northwest opponent the first round. We'll get you guys next Sunday though. ;)
"This is the way."

Offline stormie

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 31, 2008, 02:18 PM »
Let's hope the Sharks can keep their momentum into the playoffs. They haven't lost in regulation since February 20, going 17-0-2 since. Scary good.
« Last Edit: April 2, 2008, 10:14 AM by stormie »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #66 on: March 31, 2008, 03:49 PM »

Well, there has to be some reward for winning your own division.  If not the #1-3 seed, then what?

If your division's bad enough you can win it with 10 or more points less than the other division winners...  Do you really deserve a reward?
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #67 on: April 2, 2008, 01:10 AM »

If your division's bad enough you can win it with 10 or more points less than the other division winners...  Do you really deserve a reward?

I'm kind of see where you are coming from Jesse- winning in a weak division like the Southeast isn't really something that should classify you as an elite team. But I'm with Jeff on this one.

Look at the Northwest division for example. The top three teams, Minnesota, Colorado, and Calgary are only separated by a total of three points with one or two games left a piece. This isn't because the division is weak, it could possibly be the toughest division top to bottom in the NHL. All five teams are still very much in the playoff picture, at least three will make it, and very likely we could see four Northwest teams in the playoffs. And the fifth will likely be only a few points out of 8th. This is a very tough division to play in because you have to face four other playoff caliber teams in your division 32 times over the year. Because the division balances itself out so nicely it really makes it hard for any one Northwest team to dominate.

Then you have to look at the Central division. Detroit is a great team, I'll give them that, BUT they aren't the top team in the West despite the number 1 seed and the fact that they are currently leading the NHL in points (that honor would belong to San Jose). You have to look at who they play in their division. With the exception of Nashville, the other three clubs have been perennial losers for the last few years and can't compete with Detroit. Looking at that division there is no way Detroit should come up with much less than 50 points. So yeah the division champs in the Northwest may win the division with 10 points fewer than the other division leaders, but it isn't because they are just the best of the worst.

I think in order to balance the playoff picture out the division winners deserve some sort of benefit (other than just a playoff spot). And other than the #1-3 seeds there really isn't much else. I think that it really does help breed more excitement towards the end of the season, which is ultimately good for the sport. Division titles actually mean something and aren't just bragging rights. It really fuels a lot of the excitement in these late season divisional games when the title can be up for grabs on any given night.
« Last Edit: April 2, 2008, 01:10 AM by Ryan »
"This is the way."

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 2, 2008, 01:16 AM »
Or they could just go back to old divisional alignments with respectable hocky names rather than this geographic based crap.   :-X
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #69 on: April 3, 2008, 10:51 PM »

;D

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #70 on: April 4, 2008, 05:41 AM »
Congrats to all the Wild fans on the boards here. Minnesota had a good season and deserved the win. Now here's to hoping the Avs finish in the 6th seed. The Wild are a beatable team, and I always love seeing divisional opponents meet in the playoffs. So Sunday could very well be a preview of things to come. I would not be wanting to play San Jose in the first round this year...

I'm kind of bummed Vancouver dropped out. For as much as I hated them when they had Bertuzzi, Crawford, and the gang, I actually kind of like them these days.
"This is the way."

Offline jjks

• Jedi Padawan
  • Belligerent as hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 4, 2008, 07:25 PM »
Needless to say I'm happy that the Canucks **** the bed. As long as we get the Wings in the first round, I'm happy. We can hold our own with them. Sharks, not so much.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #72 on: April 6, 2008, 11:10 PM »
Here goes nothing...  and I mean nothing (I'm terrible at this picking stuff  ::)).

EAST

Montreal over Boston (4 games)
Pittsburgh over Ottawa (7 games)
Philadelphia over Washington (6 games)
New Jersey over Rangers (6 games)

Montreal over Philadelphia (5 games)
New Jersey over Pittsburgh (7 games)  sorry JJ  :-\

New Jersey over Montreal (7 games)

WEST

Detroit over Nashville (5 games)  sorry Jamie  :-\
San Jose over Calgary (7 games)
Minnesota over Colorado (6 games) not sorry Ryan  ;)
Dallas over Anaheim (5 games)

San Jose over Minnesota (5 games)  sorry me  :'(
Dallas over Detroit (7 games)

San Jose over Dallas (5 games)

THE CUP

New Jersey over San Jose (6 games)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #73 on: April 7, 2008, 12:54 AM »
New Jersey over Pittsburgh (7 games)  sorry JJ 

>:(

Really though?  I think short of Brodeur stealing it, they're not an elite team in most other respects...  Brodeur's the wild card though.  Goalie's make all the difference sometimes.

A lot of folks were hoping for a Philly/Pitt showdown in the opener in this state, but that didn't happen...  They played like **** today so while I like to remain confident, I also hate how they sometimes decide to show up and play maybe 20 minutes of decent hockey any given day.

I can't make predictions worth a jack so I'll refrain.  I almost always am wrong when I do.  :-[

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #74 on: April 7, 2008, 01:03 AM »
Really though?  I think short of Brodeur stealing it, they're not an elite team in most other respects...  Brodeur's the wild card though.  Goalie's make all the difference sometimes.

Yeah, my picks sort of bank on "Good Brodeur" showing up in playoff form.  If Brodeur isn't "on", then I don';t think they'd beat the Pens. Pretty much all NJ's chances are on him (which sort of shows my lameness in picking by choosing them to win it all  ::)).

Montreal vs. Penguins would be a good match-up for the East - the storied franchise vs. the "new kids" of Crosby/Malkin.