Author Topic: NHL 2007 - 2008  (Read 39658 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: NHL 2007 - 2008
« Reply #75 on: April 7, 2008, 01:38 AM »
Brodeur's still arguably the best and if any goalie can steal a series (or every series) it's him, so by no means do I discount your pick completely Jeff...  It's very much possible and I think he's proven he can do it.  Our goaltending is still 100% unproven in playoff time.  I can only hope the firepower would overpower Brodeur, and the Pens do seem to have his number (if we've got anyone's at least).  Lemieux used to tear him up and I loved every minute of it growing up. :)

Tonight's sports talk was circled on who's really behind the 8-ball with the team iin the playoffs...  The GM, the coach...  I think everyone would be on shakey ground, but less so with Shero (GM) as he's done a lot to keep his job.  Therrien though, I could see them looking for a change if there was a bad showing in the playoffs, but I really think the playoffs are going to test the worth of our goaltending...  Fleury ate it hard in 2007, so he really needs to show he's a franchise guy right now.

Not to say he isn't playing phenomenally well right now...  Just saying, I remember last year all too well.  ::)

I'm kinda down after tonight's performance is all...  It was sad, and uninspired.  Like they really didn't give a **** where they placed, so they just handed 1st to Montreal.  It irked me.  The other night the same sports show was talking about how easily the Penguins can just seemingly not care about a game.  Those losses to the friggin' Islanders really hurt after tonight.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #76 on: April 9, 2008, 10:57 PM »
God I love playoff hockey. :)

Jesse, you have to have liked what you saw tonight. It looked like a great game from the highlights I've seen so far.

If the Theodore can keep his play at this level he can steal this series. Both goals so far were beautiful. Despite the score at the moment Minne is playing some great hockey too. This is going to be a really fun series to watch.

EDIT: Jinxed that... :-X  :P
« Last Edit: April 9, 2008, 11:05 PM by Ryan »
"This is the way."

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #77 on: April 10, 2008, 12:10 AM »
Despite the score at the moment Minne is playing some great hockey too.

:'(
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #78 on: April 10, 2008, 12:13 AM »

:)
"This is the way."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #79 on: April 10, 2008, 03:08 AM »
I'll just say I wasn't disappointed.  It was a physical game from the start though so it's gonna be a long, tough series.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline knashdx

• Jedi Knight
  • I see Llama's
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 10, 2008, 10:20 AM »

Just the first game. This is a Best of 7 Series. It ain't over yet
I have been told to go to hell; well at least I will know everyone there!

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 10, 2008, 03:49 PM »
The best part of Last nights games...I did not have a rooting interest in any of them.  It is great to be able to just enjoy some good Hockey, in spite of the VS network not having HD for the games. 

Tonight will be a different story...not only do I have to stay up to watch the Stars play..I predict at least 1 overtime for sure.  Nothing like staying up till 2am just to watch the Stars lose in OT.  Oh well, first Round Exit as usual (why break the Dallas Pro Sports Trend?)

But at least I can enjoy the other games.

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #82 on: April 11, 2008, 11:35 PM »
Wow. Another fan-*******-tastic game in Minne tonight. Plenty of harding hitting nad back and forth action. This has been so much fun to watch. Now it is time for Sakic to add to that record of his...

EDIT: :'( Darn. The Wild earned that one. It sure was a great game to watch. Now the Avs have to go back home and continue their dominace here in Denver. We've won 9 out the last 10 at home and have 27 home wins one the year.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 11:54 PM by Ryan »
"This is the way."

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #83 on: April 12, 2008, 12:19 AM »
EDIT: :'( Darn.

The stress is going to kill me if every game goes into OT...  :-X

I believe we were 2-2 in Denver this year, so we have a good chance of stealing one back out there...
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #84 on: April 12, 2008, 01:25 AM »
I mother f'd the TV for almost the entire 3rd period...  Between the refs putting away the whistles for most of the game, and the Penguins blowing a 3-0 lead like they did, I wasn't happy...  Fortunately a blatant high-stick to Ruutu's eye had to be called and it worked to our favor...

But seriously, it was the putting away of the whistles that caused the high stick in the first place.  Guys were getting careless because they thought they'd get away with it since the slashes, hooks, trips, and interference were all going to the wayside...  Ruutu didn't lose an eye or anything, but it's proof of how people can get hurt because the refs decide they don't want to call a game like they should.

Penguins registered the most shots in a playoff game in franchise history tonight...  I think we had like 53 by the game's end.  That score should've been more lopsided but Gerber was playing like a madman and that's not good for us.  A hard-earned win, and if they keep taking the foot off the gas like that, they'll get burned.

And Ryan Whitney is a real liability on the blue line some days.  Gonchar was last year...  Now that he's doing better, Whitney's the problem.  Go figure.

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 12, 2008, 08:36 AM »
Flyers come out like **** in the third period and blow a two goal lead and lose 5-4.   :'(  (Although that winning goal by Ovechkin was pretty ******* sweet).
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 12, 2008, 09:17 AM »
I know this will sound odd coming from a Native Texan...but Playoff Hockey has got to be the one of the best viewing experiences ever and the fact it is every night for several months, may make it better than Football.  I do miss when ESPN had the games though.

I was shocked to see Dallas get 4 goals the other night.  More surprised that Bertuzzi only got 2 minutes for being 3rd Man in and Instigating and I can't confirm this, but I think he pulled a knife or brass knuckles out, I guess the league will wait till he injures somebody.  I know it is the Playoffs, but like Jesse said, you can't swallow the whistles or it will get out of hand.

I am hoping that the win will give the Stars the confidence to get the puck past Giguerre in the rest of the series.  I'd really like Sergei Zubov back as well, even at his age, he is a leader on the Power play.

I am little shocked that New Jersey is stuggling like they are..I have them in the Eastern Conference finals in my bracket at the office...

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #87 on: April 12, 2008, 02:39 PM »
More surprised that Bertuzzi only got 2 minutes for being 3rd Man in and Instigating and I can't confirm this, but I think he pulled a knife or brass knuckles out, I guess the league will wait till he injures somebody.  I know it is the Playoffs, but like Jesse said, you can't swallow the whistles or it will get out of hand.

No they won't...

Bertuzzi is nothing but a thug. He has no place in this league after the **** he pulled against Moore there. He certainly hasn't gotten much better in the time since either.

I am little shocked that New Jersey is stuggling like they are..I have them in the Eastern Conference finals in my bracket at the office...

I'm not really. For whatever reason the Rangers have been their kryptonite all year. They beat them seven out of the eight times they played in the regular season this year. I think NJ would have definitely been looking a alot better right now had they faced any other team in the East in the opening round.
"This is the way."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #88 on: April 12, 2008, 11:16 PM »
Jersey's a team that just doesn't look good on paper or the ice most of the time.  Like I was saying with Jeff and his picks, I don't look at them beyond Brodeur.  They can steal a game from anyone, but it's usually a goaltending extravaganza that steals the game, not the team.  I think they would've had trouble with a lot of teams in the East even if Brodeur was playing above par (for himself).  Steal a series from someone perhaps, but he wouldn't last forever, and he's got a team that just can't get it done in front of him right now.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 13, 2008, 12:52 AM »
I was shocked to see Dallas get 4 goals the other night.  More surprised that Bertuzzi only got 2 minutes for being 3rd Man in and Instigating and I can't confirm this, but I think he pulled a knife or brass knuckles out, I guess the league will wait till he injures somebody.  I know it is the Playoffs, but like Jesse said, you can't swallow the whistles or it will get out of hand.

I am hoping that the win will give the Stars the confidence to get the puck past Giguerre in the rest of the series.  I'd really like Sergei Zubov back as well, even at his age, he is a leader on the Power play.

Any interest in trying to grab some cheap seats for one of the next couple home games?

If you don't already have tickets that is.