Author Topic: NHL 2007 - 2008  (Read 39656 times)

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
Re: NHL 2007 - 2008
« Reply #90 on: April 13, 2008, 01:59 PM »
No they won't...

Bertuzzi is nothing but a thug. He has no place in this league after the **** he pulled against Moore there. He certainly hasn't gotten much better in the time since either.

I stopped watching hockey after the lockout, but seeing something like that punk...how the hell is he still playing?
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline JangoTat

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 13, 2008, 08:09 PM »
No they won't...

Bertuzzi is nothing but a thug. He has no place in this league after the **** he pulled against Moore there. He certainly hasn't gotten much better in the time since either.

I stopped watching hockey after the lockout, but seeing something like that punk...how the hell is he still playing?

I know you guys probably will not agree with me but my view on him is completly opposite. I think he is still a great player, who doesnt produce as many points however he still helps his team win the small plays and the games at times. In terms of Moore i think hes a little cry baby that deserved what he got, he went after the Canucks captain and injured him..why is it that everyone forgets that? didnt you guys also notice that fact that another 4 guys jumped on him...but oh yeah of course it was only Todds fault. karma came back to bite him in the @$$.

Back on topic though, im really surprised with the Habs so far. they have been doing a lot better then a i thought they would. The calgary series is also pretty intense. And as much as I want to see Crosby lose in the first round the crappy Sens have let me down, owell can't have it all.
School has been on strike all month. so much for the summer job I was hoping to get D:

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 13, 2008, 10:22 PM »
I know you guys probably will not agree with me but my view on him is completly opposite. I think he is still a great player, who doesnt produce as many points however he still helps his team win the small plays and the games at times.

He's still a serviceable player in the NHL, yes.

In terms of Moore i think hes a little cry baby that deserved what he got, he went after the Canucks captain and injured him

Uh, have you seen the play?  He leaned into him for sure, probably even a cheap shoulder shot (NOT an elbow).  Someone just might have set themselves up by leaning out of position.  I believe Moore did get a major penalty on that play AND he fought at least a couple of Canucks prior to the Bertuzzi incident.  Short of blowing all the 'Nucks there wasn't much more he could have done to pay the price.

..why is it that everyone forgets that?
No one forgets it, you just refuse to look at it objectively and opt to neglect everything else that happened.

didnt you guys also notice that fact that another 4 guys jumped on him...but oh yeah of course it was only Todds fault.

Todd sucker punched him from behind.  From behind.  From behind.  Got it yet?  Big, tough Bertuzzi popped a guy without even having the testicles to face him.  AFTER he'd fought other Canucks and taken his lumps.  OOOH, what a stud hockey player Bert is. 

Four guys didn't jump on him, one guy jumped on Bertuzzi.  You remember, the pissant thug that popped a guy from behind and then followed him down, driving his face into the ice?  So he didn't have the patience or the balls to hit Moore while he was facing him and he HAD to drive his face into the ice and fall on top of him?  Yeah, totally justified.  Tell me why mister tough Todd didn't skate around in front of him and drop his gloves, grab Moore by the shirt and start swinging.  The second Moore would have seen the gloves go down he would have known here we go again but no, Bertuzzi had to hit him from behind with his gloves on.  Sportsmanlike I'd say, hell I'm surprised that Bert didn't get the Lady Byng for that play too. ::)

karma came back to bite him in the @$$.
  And if Karma is really fair, Bertuzzi will lose the civil suit as well, because he's nothing but a chicken**** thug for that move. 

But that's ok, you think ending a guy's career is fair play, well, so be it. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #93 on: April 14, 2008, 02:11 AM »
And as much as I want to see Crosby lose in the first round the crappy Sens have let me down, owell can't have it all.

I'm always marvelled by anti-Crosby sentiments...  He's probably one of the nicest guys in the NHL but he still has a wealth of hatred against him for no real reason other than he's good.  He's not a goon, he's not a cheat, he's not a clutch/grab kinda guy, but he's someone people either love or hate and I can't really explain it at all.

The Bertuzzi thing was pure cheap too...  Goons are goons, and if you're lucky you get a good muck/grind goon for a 3rd or 4th line and you don't waste a slot on them, but I'm leaning towards Bertuzzi being like Simon...  He's outlived his usefulness in the NHL to me.  McSorely used to be an asset but there came a time he too lost his usefulness as an enforcer.  The blatant cheap stuff just doesn't have a place in the game.  It doesn't serve to antagonize, it doesn't serve to get under the other team's skin.  It just brings hockey down a peg.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline JangoTat

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 14, 2008, 06:31 AM »
I'm always marvelled by anti-Crosby sentiments...  He's probably one of the nicest guys in the NHL but he still has a wealth of hatred against him for no real reason other than he's good.  He's not a goon, he's not a cheat, he's not a clutch/grab kinda guy, but he's someone people either love or hate and I can't really explain it at all.

I don't know I guess i got a little annoyed when he accepted captain, which isnt something i find he deserved. And  i never said he wasnt good i just plain dont like him, mostly from small stuff that he does during the game that annoys me. Like come on do you really need to go on your knees for almost every other shot when your near the net...no. Between him and Ovechkin i think the latter is better, crosby will hit and run away and have other guys fight his battles while Ovechkin will stick up for himself and still produce the numbers.

It terms of Bert im not gonna argue it, everyone sees the situation in a different manner and its not like i expected you guys to see it the way I do anyways. But i have to admit it really pissed me off when I heard about what Bert was blaming his move on. THAT I did not agree with, however my opinion still does not change about the things before that.
School has been on strike all month. so much for the summer job I was hoping to get D:

Offline stormie

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 14, 2008, 11:35 AM »
The Flames/Sharks series is just a revisit of the matchup between these two a few years back...and it's pissing me off. The Flames are unable to match the Sharks with skill, so they make up for it in brute strength. They're literally just shoving themselves to a win. It's old-style hockey and the reason why the Sharks haven't ever been able to go very far in the playoffs. If only they'd just get a little angry or something and start hitting more. It's just so frustrating. All the credit in the world to the Flames, though. To hit (and bloody) the Sharks' captain is akin to smacking a snarling dog on the nose. It sort of takes any fight out.

Come on, Sharks. Start hitting! >:(

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #96 on: April 14, 2008, 02:54 PM »
Like come on do you really need to go on your knees for almost every other shot when your near the net...no.

No offense, but he's the guy in the NHL, not you, to say that. ;)  His move of going to one knee has produced a lot of odd angle goals.  Can you really supply more of an argument then to the methods and techniques he uses to score?  He seems to only do it when he wants a lot of power on a shot and lift...  From my experience then his knee drop would acheive that on the short angle, and it's proven to work by his paycheck.

As far as hitting I don't know anyone who says Crosby "hits and runs away".  He got into it the other night with a Senator...  Believe me though, Ovechkin isn't gonna be "fighting" people any time soon either.  Nor will Malkin, or any other superstar.  You don't pay superstars to break hands on helmets and faces...  You pay your muscle to do that for you, so it's again not a fair assessment to say Ovechkin's doing his own dirty work with fights.  Crosby's finishing every check this series, and he's taking plenty of swings back at his shadows...  Nothing could be tougher that I've seen, plus he still has to remain disciplined in all of it and not take a penalty.

As far as the C goes, I don't know who would've or should've gotten it if not Crosby...  The team overall was inexperienced at the time and young so your options were limited.  Roberts doesn't lead with his voice as much as he does with his style of play, nor does Gonchar...  So your vets weren't good captain choices.  Crosby showed leadership qualities his first season, so what argument is there against him earning it?  To me he's the natural choice like Lemieux was for us...  He's done a good job too.  The only other guy (at the time) that maybe could've gotten it was Recchi, and he's been dumped on waivers since because he wasn't putting forth much effort on the ice...  Not leadership quality there IMO.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline JangoTat

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 14, 2008, 04:27 PM »
Like come on do you really need to go on your knees for almost every other shot when your near the net...no.

No offense, but he's the guy in the NHL, not you, to say that. ;)  His move of going to one knee has produced a lot of odd angle goals.  Can you really supply more of an argument then to the methods and techniques he uses to score?  He seems to only do it when he wants a lot of power on a shot and lift...  From my experience then his knee drop would acheive that on the short angle, and it's proven to work by his paycheck.

Thats not true. I play hockey (oh what a shocker) and I have been in those situations many times and I nor my team mates have ever had to go down on one knee to get a goal. All he is doing is trying to show off.

And as far as the C goes, I don't beleive a rookie deserves to hold it, no matter how good they are they are still new to the NHL, if he had gotten the A then thats fine. I know Gonchar is basically gonig down the gutter but I felt that Recchi, even though hes useless now, would have been more deserving atleast until a new player came along. Heck Roberts isnt all that bad of a leader, he has league and playoff experience and he has already held the A before while playing top line for several years. Roberts could have made a great captain until Crosby could become prepared for it.

And I dont know small stuff like "the crosby pickup" move really piss me off because Crosby wasnt the guy who did it first, and yet everyone I know who talks about hockey always refers to that as HIS move when indeed it is not. Plus the notion that media sometimes portrays him as the best when it comes to deking...id like to see him face Robbie shremp ::)

In the end i just have a profound Hate for the guy. Hes over hyped by media and that just really annoys me though. And as a always say this is just my opinion, you guys may not a agree with it but its not like im holding it against anyone. Crosby is a good player dont get me wrong, however in the end I dont think hes going to be as great as everyone says he will be.

and thats my 2 cents on Crosby lol.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #98 on: April 14, 2008, 06:07 PM »
Thats not true. I play hockey (oh what a shocker) and I have been in those situations many times and I nor my team mates have ever had to go down on one knee to get a goal. All he is doing is trying to show off.

OK, again no offense is meant to you, but this was kind of my point with my post...  You don't have an argument with any validity to your claim.  I played hockey in my youth too and coached it this past winter season.  That doesn't mean you're in the NHL and can claim Crosby is "just showing off"...  Watch the goals sometime, I'm sure they're on Youtube or something.  When he goes to his knee for a shot it's usually off the right circle and a sharper angle.  He does it to get good wood to the puck and not comletely miss his scoring opportunity, and to get power/lift to the shot since goalies usually can cover the bottom post but not the top... 

And again...  his paycheck indicates he's doing the right thing I think.  His stats should cover any other doubts though I'd wager.

If I had a guy like Crosby who made sure he made the play like that, or a guy who missed 25-50% of his scoring chances from the same position, I'd take Crosby...  I think most people would.

But like I said...  He's the one in the NHL, and the one actually accomplishing these things, so really is it fair to just claim he's showboating because "I played hockey and I know you don't have to do that"?  That's all I'm saying...  That's NOT a valid argument, that's just anger.

And as far as the C goes, I don't beleive a rookie deserves to hold it, no matter how good they are they are still new to the NHL, if he had gotten the A then thats fine. I know Gonchar is basically gonig down the gutter but I felt that Recchi, even though hes useless now, would have been more deserving atleast until a new player came along. Heck Roberts isnt all that bad of a leader, he has league and playoff experience and he has already held the A before while playing top line for several years. Roberts could have made a great captain until Crosby could become prepared for it.

First, Roberts wasn't with the team when Crosby was named Captain...  So it's a moot point.  Second, Gonchar's going down the tubes?  He was one of the top scoring defenseman of the NHL in '07-'08 and his defensive game was tremendous compared to last year...  Not saying he's a leader, just arguing he's "going down the tubes" right now.  He's stepped it up 100% for whatever reason.  He's still not a leader though...  He's not talkative (by all accounts I've heard) on the bench, and doesn't seemingly speak English well enough to consider piping up.  Just what I've heard about him though so it might not be true...

Third, Recchi at the time was even my more logical choice, but Recchi has not lead by example...  Speaking from experience, you don't give the C to the guy based on age or experience, you give it based on leadership on and off the ice, and by all accounts Crosby deserves it then.  He's proven to be a good two-way player, he's proven to have the ability to take control of a game himself from an offensive standpoint, and he's very aggressive in the offensive zone...  He's also talkative to his teammates, and a leader on the bench.

Also it should be noted Crosby was NOT a Rookie when he got the C...  You're wrong on that.  He was in his 3rd year in the NHL when he finally wore it during a game.  He was offered it after his second season, and he wore the A during his second season because LeClaire lost an A due to his ****** veteran play for that season...  So really, this all boils down to his young age being a concern.  So far though that's proven 100% unfounded.  He had a season wearing the A to talk with the officials and really earned becoming the team Captain.

Roberts is there now...  Do you strip the C from Crosby who has done a good job and give it to him?  I don't even think he wants it actually since Roberts admittedly fires the team up in the locker rooms and with his style on the ice.  No, they made the right choice, and one based in the work ethic and effort Crosby made.  It's a slight to what he's accomplished at this point to say otherwise.

I wasn't so sure at the time even, but it's turned out to be a perfectly fine decision made by Therrien.

And I dont know small stuff like "the crosby pickup" move really piss me off because Crosby wasnt the guy who did it first, and yet everyone I know who talks about hockey always refers to that as HIS

That's not Crosby's fault...  People do that all the time.  When I was growing up playing, people cited things as Gretzky's move, or Bourque's move, instead of giving credit to Richard or Howe...  That's human nature to cite recent reference.  Crosby's making certain plays his own because he's the player doing them the most, just as Ovechkin's style is being cited as his own, or as Federov's was cited as his, etc., etc.  It goes down the line of great players...  It's not their fault, and they're almost certainly not the first to create them unless they're really outlandish stuff (Like Lemieux's between the legs and behind him shot/goal).

As far as the media goes, there seems to be plenty of split with opinion on who the "best" is...  I hear 3 names mentioned constantly, especially after this season, so it's hardly a bias this point.

In the end i just have a profound Hate for the guy.

That's fine, and like I said it seems to be a love or hate thing...  Little in between.

At the end of the day though that's what makes your arguments for why you think he's overrated or a bad player, kind of weak.  It's something I've found people have against the Steelers too so I'm used to it.  Folks either love them, or they hate them, and then their arguments are always unfounded and generally lame to listen to about why the Steelers suck...

I view this as much the same.  You hate him so you think he's a weakling that doesn't get tough, you think he showboats when he scores so he's not respectable, you think he shouldn't have been a captain for whatever reason, but there's no real basis to it other than you hate the guy.  And that's cool not to like someone because of perceptions I guess, but that doesn't make it right.  I try to take the player at face value instead...

He's not going to be as great as everyone predicted?  Newsflash...  He already is.  I just don't see how people can watch him and say he isn't.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #99 on: April 14, 2008, 09:54 PM »
Pengies won game three...  To say they weathered a storm in the opening period is an understatement though.  The Senators were flying, hitting, and just putting a weight on the Pen's shoulders.  It was brutal to watch at times, lots of hitting, and it got uglier as the game went on...  It opened up though the Penguins started burrying pucks then.  Yay! :)

The crowd was going nuts about every little thing too...  You would've thought you were in the Garden or on Long Island with the way they were booing everything they thought should've been a penalty.  The crowd threw some **** on the ice in the 3rd in frustration which sucks, but it didn't slow the game down and it wrapped up 4-1...  Sweet.  Crosby's sniper goal was a back breaker.

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #100 on: April 15, 2008, 12:32 AM »
The stress is going to kill me if every game goes into OT...  :-X

Someone will be winning 3-2 again tonight... :-X
"This is the way."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #101 on: April 15, 2008, 12:56 AM »
I'm watching you guys' game on Vs. now...  I love the OT games as long as we're not in them. :P

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #102 on: April 15, 2008, 01:10 AM »
Someone will be winning 3-2 again tonight... :-X

;D
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #103 on: April 15, 2008, 01:28 AM »
It's nice to see you guys being all civil. :)

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #104 on: April 15, 2008, 01:35 AM »
**** Minnesota.

:P

Just kidding of course. Another great game tonight. Needless to say I wasn't pleased with the outcome but it was fun to watch. The Avs had a few too many defensive zone turnovers and problems clearing the zone in the third for my liking. That shorthander hurt. Tough break for Finger on that OT goal, had it bounced the other way like he though it was going to, it would have been icing. It was a great play by Minne to keep following that one up and beat out the icing. We'll get you guys tomorrow. :)

"This is the way."