Author Topic: NHL 2007 - 2008  (Read 39660 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: NHL 2007 - 2008
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2008, 10:57 PM »
I don't know if I'll watch or not, but I'll try to...  Always seems something is interfering with me watching it every year. 

In other news, it looks like Georges Laraque's in for a suspension...  Nasty hit he put out there tonight, and totally uncalled for.  Even the media in town is tearing him a new one tonight.  I like the guy, he's underrated for his ability as a player, and really just viewed as a goon by most, but his little play tonight (on a fellow goon) wasn't anything to gloat about.  Didn't help ease that "goon" view of him either.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline JangoTat

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2008, 08:53 AM »
and cant forget...leafs have a new GM!!!!!! :o

Why did they name him as an interim GM?  Doesn't that just tell the players and staff that anything he does is temporary?  I don't see how that can help the team, they'll just slack off and slide down the standings even further.

isnt it becuase they are trying to get the Ducks Gm but he is still under contract for this year?
School has been on strike all month. so much for the summer job I was hoping to get D:

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #32 on: February 7, 2008, 06:46 PM »
Crosby's up and skating with the team some, which is good news for the Penguins...  Hoping that he's going to have a speedier recovery than intially thought, but also don't want him rushing it either.  Penguins are dismal in their own division right now though, and that could really hurt down the stretch.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2008, 08:11 AM »
Trade deadline is coming up this afternoon...anybody think we'll see movement?  I would like the Stars to do something, but I am pretty sure, they will not.  We have the worst Owner in Pro Sports.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2008, 04:20 PM »
I was just wondering myself if anyone was giving a hoot about this?

Pittsburgh got Hossa, but it was costly and I'm not sure it was the smart move...   :-\  We gave up Esposito, our 2007 draft pick, but also Armstrong and Christansen who are well liked here and productive for the most part, to get him.

We also picked up a nice hefty blue-liner, but I'm not so sure he'll have a huge impact.  Our D needs a bigger guy I guess for the stretch and he wasn't much of a cost, so that's good.  Hossa was painful to purchase though, and he's a free agent this summer so that sort of makes me question how good this choice was... 

Hossa was the big deal for the day around the NHL in general it seems since Sundin didn't wave his no-trade clause.

Offline JangoTat

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2008, 04:25 PM »
once again the leafs prove to be dumb sh!!
School has been on strike all month. so much for the summer job I was hoping to get D:

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2008, 05:22 PM »
Hossa was the big deal for the day around the NHL in general it seems since Sundin didn't wave his no-trade clause.

Also Richards leaving TB for Dallas was pretty big too I'd say.

As for my squad, all we seemingly pulled off is to give up a 6th round pick for Chris "I've missed 35 games due to suspension this year" Simon.  Yeah, that'll help the offensive slump...   ::)
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2008, 06:12 PM »
Ouch...  Simon's a tool, I wouldn't even want him on my team. :(  At least you gave up about his worth overall...  I guess they were really wanting to unload that trainwreck.

I'm not so sure, personally, Hossa's worth a 1st round pick, 2007's 1st round pick who was being heralded as a future star, Colby Armstrong who is a consistantly great role player who is loved by the local fans/media, and Eric Christansen who was a little streaky but was great in the shootout all the time.  I think the Esposito move was overkill, I think they should've gotten Hossa for Christansen, a first rounder, and a mid-grade minor leaguer who's still developing.  Or a 2nd round pick maybe.

I feel sorta empty after today's trading, to be honest.  :(  If they don't sign Hossa long-term, that'll really sting then too as he's just a friggin' rental at this point.

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2008, 07:39 PM »
I don't know enough about Richards to know if Dallas got a good deal.

I liked Jussi Jokinen...but Dallas has been so quiet at the trade deadlines lately that  I was happy they actually did something.

Maybe it will help, I just hope the Goal tender that we got will push Turco enough to be good...

And wow...Simon?  At least you know your team will make Sportscenter when he shank's somebody in the penalty box...

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2008, 08:22 PM »
"...it is a verb...  You know, 'to shank'?"

Anyway, Richards is good...  Of the day's deals, yours and ours were really the tops, but I think Richards is somewhat held back by simply being in Tampa this year.  That is not to say they don't have good players, obviously they've got some of the better snipers in the league, but offense really comes from a lot of other places too, and Tampa just hasn't been great this year despite having some real big names.  Not sure where they are, but I thought they were last in the league.

It didn't seem like Dallas gave much up to get them...  I dunno what the player's mentality is, with how "tight" they are as friends and a group, but I think you guys got a pretty good deal...  Messing with team chemistry can be devastating though, so if those guys Dallas gave up were lynch-pins in the locker room, that can really screw with a team overall.  I know that's my current fear about the Pen's deal with Hossa.

I think the Penguins gave up one thing too many...  Either they should've kept Armstrong, or they should've kept Esposito...  Not both, for a guy that may not be here after this season. :(  And then you'd have to decide on the team's future over the team's present cohesive and friendly nature.  Armstrong bought people waiting in line for tickets pizza's a few times over the last couple years...  He's a loved guy around here, and seeing him go just sucks so bad.  I don't think I've felt this bad since Ron Francis left for Carolina (a travesty for the Penguins, and the sign of the bad years that followed). 

That said, Hossa's simply a proven scoring machine, and a 2-way player (something I appreciate), so that's cool...  I just am gonna feel this was really empty though if the Pen's don't run all the way through the playoffs with him, or if they don't run the playoffs and wind up not being able to retain Hossa for a period of time.  That'll suck.

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2008, 12:27 AM »
It has been a very exciting few days here. There really have been quite a few interesting trades all over the league.

I am SO ******* excited to see Forsberg and Foote back in Avalanche jerseys.

Foote really had a great game tonight. I'll miss Skrastins but I think Salei should be a good addition. Those three guys really are going to give us a more physical presence. Add to that that Sakic, Statsny, and Smyth are all coming back off their injuries, and I think it is going to be a very exciting stretch over the next 18 games. The Avs should be able put together a run here and get back into the playoff picture. It is looking like they are starting to figure out the power play again, 30th in the league is god-awful. I really can't believe they are only two points out of the playoffs with that kind of a number.

Forsberg and Foote are two of my all-time favorite players and I honestly think I'll be happy no matter what happens this season. Just seeing them back here is awesome. It was classic seeing Foote come back tonight. He had to fly from Columbus all the way up to Calgary, so he didn't even make it to the game until 14:00 into the first period or so. He walks out and comes and sits down between Kyle Cumiskey and Liles. Cumiskey had no idea what was going on and Liles did a huge double take, as he realized who just sat down next to him. Man I'm excited for the rest of the season.  :)

"This is the way."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2008, 01:31 AM »
It was funny watching guys coming into games late.  The Pens had 2 from Wilkes-Barre baby pens come in to Long Island for the game to fill the spots where Armstrong and Christensen were missing, and low and behold the one kid in tonight wound up scoring his first NHL goal...  Good for him. :)

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 29, 2008, 07:23 AM »
5 assists for Brad Richards last night and a Hat Trick for his line Mate...  I'm ok with the trade now.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #43 on: February 29, 2008, 04:47 PM »
No points for Marion Hossa, and out with a knee injury to boot!  ::)

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 1, 2008, 04:41 PM »
No points for Marion Hossa, and out with a knee injury to boot!  ::)

Taking the big chance on Hossa (especially since he's a free agent after this season) looks like it's really blown up in their face.  Hopefully it's more of a twinge than any real damage to the knee.