Author Topic: NHL 2007 - 2008  (Read 39766 times)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: NHL 2007 - 2008
« Reply #180 on: June 4, 2008, 11:03 PM »
(apologies to JJ in advance  :-\)

As a Red Wings Fan from 1993-2000, I was very happy to see them hold on and win.  West is Best!   :D 

ps.
M-A Fleury is going to be feeling that 3rd goal for a long, long time this summer... :-X
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #181 on: June 4, 2008, 11:18 PM »
I don't think it'll phase him much...  The goal was the fault of defensive coverage, not him.  They shouldn't have even had a shot on net, much less a 2nd crack at it, so I'm disappointed more in how people played in front of Fleury at times.  To me, Fleury's MVP for the Penguins, hands down.  That series wouldn't have gone past 4 games if it weren't for him.

I'm obviously disappointed, but I think the Penguins were easily the best in the East, and I think they were the only team that gave the Red Wings any kind of hell in the playoffs too, and give them hell the Penguins did.  They made them earn the cup, which is how it should be.

The Red Wings still were a far superior team...  I think we're superior skill-wise, but they have a vastly superior system, they had superior leadership, and they just ultimately were the better team and someone the Pens couldn't overcome in the end.  I wish we had games 1 and 2 back personally, as I think we handed two wins to Detroit, and just dug a hole we couldn't get back from.

6 games, and down to the wire.  And I think we won the better of the 6 games (the 3 OT win), so hey that's at least something to remember from the series for Penguin fans.

I stand by my earlier statements, but ultimately Detroit was just a better team and deserved to win.  It's a shame for us, but this'll only be the first time these Penguins are in the finals.  I doubt it's the last.  Even with who we'll inevitably lose this off-season, I think if they keep the core guys down the middle (Malkin, Crosby, Staal, Fleury), they'll be fine. 

Great series, great games (especially the last two), and like I said, Detroit earned it and Pittsburgh forced them to do so...  That's the way it ought to be every year.

Time I guess to go shave...   :'(
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: June 13, 2008, 12:05 AM »
Hart - Ovechkin
Vezina - Brodeur
Norris - Lidstrom
Adams - Boudreau (Caps)
Calder - Kane (Hawks)
Selke - Datsyuk
Byng - Datsyuk
Masterton - Blake

Surprised by Brodeur's win this year. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #183 on: June 13, 2008, 02:06 AM »
Me too, to an extent...  I mean, I don't think Jersey had a snowball's chance without him, but at the same time I think there were many mroe deserving goaltenders in the league this year...  I mean, it wasn't like the Penguins were playing just such stellar defense in front of both Conklin and Fleury...  And Fleury's season after he came back was stellar just as Conklin's was before he came back...  Was Brodeur really just that good?  I didn't keep up on his stats, but really Jersey didn't do **** this year, nor were they expected to by anybody.  :-\
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline stormie

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: June 13, 2008, 09:52 AM »
Damn, I'm real disappointed that Nabokov didn't get the Vezina, especially after the season he had. Brodeur and Nabokov had almost identical stats, but I think the nod goes to Nabokov since he led in W, GAA and SO. Plus, Brodeur's already got a enough Vezina's

GP  GS   MIN         W    L   OTL   GA   GAA   SV%   ENG   SO
Brodeur     77   77   4635:03   44  27    6    168   2.17  .920     8      4
Nabokov    77   77   4560:56   46  21    8    163   2.14  .910     6        6

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #185 on: June 13, 2008, 10:04 AM »
If it's any consolation for you guys, Brodeur did help at least one team win a championship this year...  8)

Thanks again, Ryan!   :P

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #186 on: June 17, 2008, 07:46 PM »
Thanks again, Ryan!   :P

Glad I could help... :-X
"This is the way."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #187 on: June 17, 2008, 10:47 PM »
Couple teams are being mentioned as hounding us for Malone, including your Stars Wild, Jeff...  He's a solid player if you guys get him.  You'll be lucky, believe me.  He's a local product too, so it'd be disappointing to see one of our local guys leave town, but at this point he's become expendable and expensive.

Word is the Penguins made a pretty big deal to Hossa, and if he takes it then Malone's not even an option for us.   :'(  This crap's already painful and the 1st isn't even here.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #188 on: June 21, 2008, 05:19 AM »
Does anyone give a poop about the draft?  I can't say I do because the Penguins don't get a pick till the 4th I believe, but the trade stuff going on has me interested for sure.  Plus Malkin's been on everyone's rumored trades talk all day, though I think almost all of it was 100% bull****.  The Penguins would NOT be looking to deal Malkin to any team in the East, and I think the West is only a hair more likely.  I think they're trying to secure him long-term.

The Russian thing that came up seems plausible, but knowing that he defected, I doubt he wants to go back...  A higher salary in Russian, still means you'd have to live in Russia...  It's kinda like pizza.  Even bad pizza is pizza...  America may be bad pizza in terms of a lower salary and taxes, but you're still in America playing in the NHL.  Russia's league isn't going to do well, IMO.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #189 on: July 1, 2008, 06:48 PM »
Couple teams are being mentioned as hounding us for Malone, including your Stars Wild, Jeff...  He's a solid player if you guys get him. 

Looks like Rob is the lucky one...

On a positive note though, the Wild seems to actually doing something, which is nice.  I guess things didn't work out with Rolston, but at least we got something for sending his rights to TB for a few days.  And, it sounds like we're bringing back Brunette which I wasn't expecting, along with a trade for Zidlicky to help on D.

Should be interesting to see how things shake out in a day or two with all the big FA signings...

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #190 on: July 1, 2008, 07:35 PM »
Yup, Tampa got 3 Penguins...  Malone's good and they'll like him.  Roberts they'll either love at times or hate at times.  he's a cool guy for you when he's doing what he does best but when he's not "on" he's kind of a waste on the bench. 

The shocker is Hall.  That stung for us...  He's a great faceoff guy, a great mucker on the boards, and he can make great plays at times.

The Penguins are supposedly locked in with Malkin at this point, and that's awesomeness for us.  Now to lock in Staal and Fleury.  They signed Dupuis which is cool.  He's not much for production but he's a great PK guy and he can wear a team down offensively and cover his ass in the defensive end.  I'm a big fan of the 2-way players in the league ever since we were spoiled with Francis for so long, so I'm glad he's at least coming back.

I think the gravy for the Penguins would be signing Hossa and Orpik.  If they can do that they're sitting pretty after this FA season.

There's rumor again sprouting about Jagr maybe coming back to Pittsburgh, which I'm not a fan of.  His best days are over.

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #191 on: July 2, 2008, 04:59 AM »
And, it sounds like we're bringing back Brunette which I wasn't expecting,

:'(    :'(    :'(

I'm really disappointed to see Bruno go. He was one of my favorite players and really was a great asset to this team. I can't say I'm too thrilled with the Avs signings so far. I would have liked to see Sauer stay on another season, he worked so well with Foote. Finger, I kind of liked but I'm not crushed to see him go. I've got mixed feeling on Theodore, he had a ****** series against Detroit but he was the reason the Avs beat the Wild and they played as well down the stretch as they did. But before that he had been a waste of the money we paid him. I don't know if Budaj is ready to be a full time starter though, and I don't know that Raycroft will be able to either... Huet would have been a better choice I think. I don't really know anything about Per Ledin so I can't comment good or bad there. Same with Darcy Tucker. I've heard of him, but we don't see the east too often so I've hardly seen him play and don't know a whole lot about him. I am thrilled Foote and Liles resigned, I really hope Sakic comes back for at least one more year. He is my all-time favorite athlete in any sport and I think he has a few more years left in him.

I think the gravy for the Penguins would be signing Hossa and Orpik.  If they can do that they're sitting pretty after this FA season.
over.

Looking at what we have lost so far I'm actually hoping the Avs will nab one or both of them. Sorry Jesse.  :P
"This is the way."

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #192 on: July 2, 2008, 04:12 PM »

So much for that... Hossa signs with Stanley Cup Champs
"This is the way."

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: July 2, 2008, 04:20 PM »

So much for that... Hossa signs with Stanley Cup Champs

:o     :o     :o     :o
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #194 on: July 3, 2008, 12:42 AM »
Yup, Hossa gone, but Orpik signed...

Which to be honest, I'd rather have Orpik.  We have to have someone steady at the blue line like him over a 2-way offensive player.  I'm content at that tradeoff.

Plus the Penguins are looking at it as freeing up a LOT to maybe get two competent younger wingers for depth.  Malkin got signed too, and that was a hell of a lot bigger issue.  I don't think a person in Pittsburgh expected Hossa to remain here.  He wants a cup, and I think he was put off with all the names lost in the recent weeks here in Pittsburgh.

Honestly though, I'm more disappointed Ruutu went to Ottawa than anything.  I loved him.  That's a big loss, plus no Laraque around.  Pens should look to sign Avery maybe. :)  He's a tool but he's basically Ruutu's equal in every way and he has a little more scoring potential I think.