Author Topic: Torture Rack Solo NOT "Definitive Bespin Han  (Read 26219 times)

Offline DARKLORD

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
Re: Torture Rack Solo NOT "Definitive Bespin Han
« Reply #30 on: October 1, 2007, 11:59 AM »
Just don't buy it.....problem solved.

No doubt! Well, I have my Amazon package sitting on my doorstep since Sat and I just realized it late last night - I opened my Han with Torture Rack, and as an overall set, he is pretty amazing. This particual Han will never leave the rack, so the body quality does (not?) matter to me. The on(ly) thing that does bug: the fugly paint job on the head. The white paint used for the eyes and teeth have some slop, and it looks generally bad.

I must be really, really easy to please... or maybe I just expect a lot less from a $7 toy

Either way, I will buy the Torture Rack Han and be happy with it.   :)

:-\... I'm moving on now.  With posts like these you PROVE my point, and yet you miss it entirely. Besides which, I've said enough here and I'd only be repeating myself.
« Last Edit: October 1, 2007, 12:04 PM by DARKLORD »

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #31 on: October 1, 2007, 12:15 PM »
and I'd only be repeating myself.

Too late.
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline DARKLORD

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 1, 2007, 12:24 PM »
and I'd only be repeating myself.

Too late.

Thank you, Nathan for pointing that out... and for contributing so... constructively to this discussion.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #33 on: October 1, 2007, 12:51 PM »
With posts like these you PROVE my point, and yet you miss it entirely.

Well then, forgive me for offering an opinion that was not the same as yours...  ::)
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #34 on: October 1, 2007, 12:54 PM »
Here Here!  We understood in the first post you didn't like the figure.  I think we all do not like the figure, so just do not buy it!
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 1, 2007, 01:22 PM »
I think a lot of us buy figures that we don't particularly like... I know I do.  I don't know why that is, but some of the time I do it because I really don't know how much I like or dislike a figure until I actually have it opened.  Then if I find something about it I don't like, I try and fix the problem.

Regarding the Endor VSTC Han Solo figure, for example - I hate that figure, but for whatever reason I've bought several - all but one on clearance though, hoping I'd eventually get around to trying to upgrade it.  I think I have at least 5 of that figure. 

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 1, 2007, 01:25 PM »
Just another point, I almost grade the Bespin Han in the category of this figure -

- Weak figure packed in with a great accessory... I'm almost consider the figure as the accessory in this case.  I've bought about 6 or 7 of the Luke just for the vaporator.  The Lukes are just custom fodder for me.
« Last Edit: October 1, 2007, 01:27 PM by CHEWIE »

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #37 on: October 1, 2007, 01:42 PM »
I'm a tad miffed that this figure has a scene specific face sculpt and the sculpting of the shirt is also scene specific but for what it is, its a decent rendition of said scene.  Like others have probably said, there will probably be a definitive ESB Han in the next few years...maybe in a Wave with a new Hoth Leia, Willrow Hood, Captain Needa and a new Zuckuss. 

I also realize the frustration in Hasbro not exactly nailing a figure to your liking.  I feel the same of the new Bespin Luke, great body work but the face sculpt is absolutely AWFUL.  Not sure how they can nail the Dagobah Luke from OTC and miss as badly as they did on this one...

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #38 on: October 1, 2007, 02:34 PM »
I'm a tad miffed that this figure has a scene specific face sculpt and the sculpting of the shirt is also scene specific but for what it is, its a decent rendition of said scene.  Like others have probably said, there will probably be a definitive ESB Han in the next few years...maybe in a Wave with a new Hoth Leia, Willrow Hood, Captain Needa and a new Zuckuss.

This is the real point to the thread that counters your opinion DARKLORD, and I don't think you're following it... 

The scene-specificness of the figure is somewhat annoying to some of us, but not nearly all of us.  Yet at the same time, most of us are able to appreciate the figure, combined with the torture rack, as a complete "set" depicting that one iconic sequence that Solo went through.

It's all perspective though...  To those who like it, they like it because of the accuracy to that scene it displays.  They dig that moment with Fett, the Stormies, and Vader standing there as Han's lowered in to feel the pain, then the screaming and all...  Cool stuff.  If that sequence doesn't really matter to you though, and all you care about is the figure itself, then obviously it's a letdown because the figure's face and shirt are sculpted very specifically for this one moment, and nothing else.

At the same time though, at the end of that quote I put above from OCB, we all pretty much realize we're GETTING a definitive Bespin Han Solo.  It may surpass this figure tremendously in all facets even.  There may be a new torso for instance, an all new headsculpt...  It's tough to say, but I wouldn't be surprised if it were a 100% new figure, and not re-use of parts from VTSC Han and this Bespin Han.

Some people dig it for what it is, I think with the specific thought in mind that a regular SA Bespin Han is bound to be in the line...  It's like my analogy in my first post, that Shaak Ti from 2002 sure as hell looks a lot cooler on my shelf in 2007 than she did in 2002...  All because I got the 2005 model, and it's a much cooler, more "definitive" figure.  It makes me appreciate the scene-specific rendition of a character much more, is my point.

Another good example is 2007 Flying R2-D2...  Very scene-specific from his paintjob to the jets and everything.  As a regular R2 figure he's kinda lame.  As an R2 flying away, snapped onto a Super Battledroid lying on the ground, this R2 is quite cool...  And I can appreciate that figure because I have several great renditions of R2-D2 at this point.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #39 on: October 1, 2007, 03:08 PM »
This thread is quickly becoming both one of my most-favorite, and, at the same time, least-favorite threads in Jedi Defender history.

I'm not entirely sure how that's even possible, but at any rate, congrats, "Darklord."
« Last Edit: October 1, 2007, 03:17 PM by Matt »
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline AmanaMatt

• Youngling
  • Breakdance Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 1, 2007, 06:16 PM »
Is it so wrong to expect quality, consistent sculpts and paint jobs, even if from a $7 toy?
Waiting for you in my special place...

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #41 on: October 1, 2007, 06:21 PM »
Personally I would have rather have had the definitive Han Bespin first then the torture rack version . While the rack is cool I wan my favorite Han done right. It would have made more sense in that order because you would have a properly scaled (hopefully) version to retro fit with the constipated look.

On another Bespin note OCB, I am not crazy about the VOTC Luke Bespin head either he looks deformed......the body is perfect at least.

RS is a bit whiney come to think of it. Darklords' post was very valid for the JD threads. I hope Hasbro reads it, lets keep it going. DK I think the post could have been cut down its a bit lengthy but well written.

Darklord the parts you suggest would never work but Hasbro could have retrofitted the 2006 Han carbonite figure much easier & more cost effective for them with a more pleasent result.. With that figure as a base just add new arms and new jacket. This figure is in a rack and does not need bendy knees.

« Last Edit: October 1, 2007, 06:25 PM by JACKOFTRADZE »
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 1, 2007, 07:17 PM »
I must be really, really easy to please... or maybe I just expect a lot less from a $7 toy

Either way, I will buy the Torture Rack Han and be happy with it.   :)

I know what you mean.  I must have no critical abilities.  ::)  I only saw the figure in person, photographed it extensively for one collecting site's Celebration 4 coverage and was going on my in-person and photographic observations.  I must be crazy.   ;D

:-\... I'm moving on now.  With posts like these you PROVE my point, and yet you miss it entirely. Besides which, I've said enough here and I'd only be repeating myself.

Okay.  You've only spammed this post at another 7 forums (at least the one's that I've found so far).  I'm sure you can find more  reasonable people to antagonize at those boards.  :P
« Last Edit: October 1, 2007, 07:18 PM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 1, 2007, 10:13 PM »
Picked this up at a St. Louis area Walmart tonight and opened it.  Removed it from the torture rack, then quickly put him back on it.  Not a horrible figure by any means, but definitely could be a lot better.  The torso really hurts this figure, and is the worst part about it from my point of view.

Offline DARKLORD

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 2, 2007, 03:16 AM »
RS is a bit whiney come to think of it. Darklords' post was very valid for the JD threads. I hope Hasbro reads it, lets keep it going. DK I think the post co
uld have been cut down its a bit lengthy but well written.

Well, thanks.  And you're right.  I CAN be VERY long-winded regarding opinions that I'm passionate about.  My apologies to everyone in that regard.

Darklord the parts you suggest would never work but Hasbro could have retrofitted the 2006 Han carbonite figure much easier & more cost effective for them with a more pleasent result.. With that figure as a base just add new arms and new jacket. This figure is in a rack and does not need bendy knees.

Actually the parts for the custom Bespin Han I illustrated are basically te same as what you suggest in your post.  The predominant "base figure" in mine is SAGA II "Pit of Carkoon Han Solo (just as it is in yours).  And the other parts I've illustrated actually DO work well together, but I think I know what you mean:  The availability of some of those suggested parts (Re: Vintage Kenner Jacket, Saga "Carkoon" Han legs modified for knee articulation, etc.) would go beyond a simple "kit-bash".

I think YOUR Photoshop illustrated custom looks pretty darn cool too!

I know what you mean.  I must have no critical abilities.  ::)  I only saw the figure in person, photographed it extensively for one collecting site's Celebration 4 coverage and was going on my in-person and photographic observations.  I must be crazy.   ;D

I never said or even implied that I thought you or anyone else had "no critical abilities", or were "crazy". And I apologize if I made you think I did. On the contrary.  I was merely pointing out my frustration at seeing a figure so widely acknowledged as sub-par by collectors and fans also being so universally supported and apologized for.

I think you made some excellent points in your posts. And it was for that reason that I tried to address each and every single one of them in my responses... as a respectful courtesy to you.  Clearly in my zeal to do so, I was... lengthy with my words.

Okay.  You've only spammed this post at another 7 forums (at least the one's that I've found so far).  I'm sure you can find more  reasonable people to antagonize at those boards.  :P

Well, I never really considered anyone unreasonable here. And I certainly did not set out to "antagonize" anyone.  If anything, there were one or two early posts in this thread that were clearly antagonistic toward ME, my opinion, and how widely I expressed it (on other sites).

I directly addressed some of those comments. And in each instance, I used language that was articulate and respectful.

I suppose that all I can do (as a gentleman) is apologize to you once again for offending you by giving this topic as much visibility as possible on other message boards. In my previous posts, I (reasonably) expressed my reasons for doing this, but perhaps you missed it.  By the way, counting this board, this topic was posted on 10 sites.

« Last Edit: October 2, 2007, 11:26 AM by DARKLORD »