Author Topic: The Star Wars Vault: 30 Years of Treasures from the LFL Archives  (Read 12030 times)

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
Just checking Amazon.ca & came across this:

The Star Wars Vault: Thirty Years of Treasures from the Lucasfilm Archives, with Removable Memorabilia and Two Audio CDs (Hardcover)

Hardcover: 128 pages.

Book Description

The Star Wars Vault: Thirty Years of Treasures from the Lucasfilm Archives, With Removable Memorabilia and Two Audio CDs by Stephen J. Sansweet and Peter Vilmur (HarperEntertainment; on-sale October 30, 2007; $85.00) is the official illustrated book celebrating this year's 30th anniversary of George Lucas' first Star Wars movie, and includes removable reproductions of memorabilia, along with two CDs containing vintage radio ads, original cast interviews, George Lucas' commentary, and even Carrie Fisher singing in the Star Wars Holiday Special.

The Star Wars Vault is the insider's look at the development and making of all six movies, and the huge cultural impact they've had. In addition to hundreds of photos and pieces of artwork, the book includes fifty interactive, rare, and some never-before-seen pieces of memorabilia.

Among the book's features are:

The special questionnaire for the first and only test screening of the original Star Wars — and the invitation to attend it
George Lucas' hand-written treatment for The Empire Strikes Back
Lucasfilm Christmas cards
Iron-on T-shirt transfer
The very first concept sketch drawn for Star Wars
Blueprints of Star Wars vehicles and sets
Original hand-written directions for ground-breaking special effects

The Star Wars Vault is the ultimate, one-of-a-kind insider's look into the sensation that launched a phenomenon that includes six feature films; two spin-off films; three television series with more to come; and an extensive collection of licensed books, comics, video games, action figures, trading cards, and many other products worldwide.

Amazon.ca: $36.98 & Amazon.com: $53.55.

I'll have to pick this up, looks interesting & way bloody cheaper than what Amazon.com wants.  ::)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Amazon.ca: $36.98 & Amazon.com: $53.55.

I'll have to pick this up, looks interesting & way bloody cheaper than what Amazon.com wants.  ::)

You may want to re-check that Canuckia Price there Dale...  :-X

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
List Price: CDN$ 99.95 
Price: CDN$ 62.97 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping. Details 
You Save: CDN$ 36.98 (37%) 
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
That's what you get when you mix beer & a PC.  :-[

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
I just checked Science Fiction Book Club and they have this listed for $49.99.  Not a bad price for this (41% off).  Might have to ask for this one for Christmas.
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline Chris Wyman

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
I just found out that I'll be getting a 20% discount on this book with my Barnes & Noble membership as well as an additional 15% off with a special coupon I was just sent for renewing my account a few weeks ago. I can't remember what the exact cost of this book is, but 35% off is sweet!
President - Tampa Star Wars Club
Co-Founder - Star Wars Grand Florida Alliance
Administrator - Wedge Collection Engine
"Star Wars Is Forever"

Offline Oboewan

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
I just checked Science Fiction Book Club and they have this listed for $49.99.  Not a bad price for this (41% off).  Might have to ask for this one for Christmas.

I haven't ordered anything from SFBC in a while so they sent me a "come baaaaack" coupon which I used for this.  Combined with a buy2 get one free and low 2.49 flat shipping I manged to do pretty well and picked up Death Star and some other SW and Scifi/fantasy books.

Jeff
"Who is more the fool... the fool or the fool who posts after him?"

Offline darth punkinhed

• Jedi Initiate
  • You did what? With who's cow? For a FF Weequay?
    • View Profile
The Star Wars Vault Hardcover Book
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2007, 12:29 PM »
Does anyone else have this? I just picked it up and the stuff in this thing is just fantastic. It's not the version with the 2 CD's (I think that one hit's shelves today actually) but still, it's full of all kinds of crap. I haven't started to read it yet but I wanted to see if anyone else had it and what their thoughts were on it.

I ended up paying $29 for it but it doesn't have the CD's. It's an exclusive book club edition or something like that so the discs weren't a part of it to begin with. I think one of the coolest things in it for me anyway is the inclusion of a punch out land speeder that was a part of a burger chef kids meal back in the day. Then again, I'm old enough to remember it. For all the stuff packed into it I don't mind not having the discs. Not everything can be removed from the book but just about every other page or so has something either attached to it or removable.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2007, 04:39 PM by darth punkinhed »
The most prized possession of my entire star wars collection is my Sega Trilogy Special Edition Pinball Machine.

Offline Chris Wyman

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
Re: The Star Wars Vault: 30 Years of Treasures from the LFL Archives
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2007, 10:24 PM »
I just got mine from Barnes & Noble and it did include all the CD's and extra stuff. It retails for $85.00, but with my 20% membership discount and an additional 15% coupon I had, it came to a total of $61.85, so that wasn't too bad. I haven't even opened it yet, so I'll have to wait to give you my thoughts on it. The cover is real nice and I love how they wrapped them all in plastic to avoid scratches before you even purchase it.
"Star Wars Is Forever"

Offline Chris Wyman

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2007, 11:47 PM »
Alright....here is the best deal I've seen on this book yet. Walmart.com has it for $45.21! Go get it.
"Star Wars Is Forever"

Offline darth punkinhed

• Jedi Initiate
  • You did what? With who's cow? For a FF Weequay?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 1, 2007, 12:37 PM »
The only thing I don't like about this is the cover. Mine has a satin finish with a spot varnish coating. If you don't know what that means it's the majority of the cover looks like it's a matte finish while some parts are glossy. The matte parts take on scratches and fingerprints like mad though. I can't pick the thing up without doing some small damage to the cover. Even the slightest smudge shows up. As I mentioned before this was a book club version so it doesn't come with the CD's (which is the only thing not included, everything else is there) but it was only $28.99 before tax too and no shipping charges involved. I'm planning on picking up the version with CD's too though to set back since they come shrinkwrapped. This one will take the abuse of getting read and handled by any and everyone I show it to. Personally, if you're on the edge about getting this just take the leap and get it. You'll wish you had later. It's a pretty big book too.
The most prized possession of my entire star wars collection is my Sega Trilogy Special Edition Pinball Machine.

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2007, 12:24 PM »
Alright....here is the best deal I've seen on this book yet. Walmart.com has it for $45.21! Go get it.

I've got that beat.  I just ordered mine from SFBK for $9.99 :o!!!  They are having a $9.99 sale on almost everything on their web-site.

It's really too bad that they don't have Chronicles I or II...
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline Chris Wyman

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2007, 08:15 PM »

I've got that beat.  I just ordered mine from SFBK for $9.99 :o!!!  They are having a $9.99 sale on almost everything on their web-site.

It's really too bad that they don't have Chronicles I or II...

Aren't all books from SFBC smaller than the ones you buy in stores? Does it still come with the CD's? For me personally, I always want the first edition. I'll make an exception if it was only released in hard back through SFBC though. That's what I did for the MedStar books. My one hardcover, looks much better than two small soft cover books.
"Star Wars Is Forever"

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2007, 09:28 PM »
Aren't all books from SFBC smaller than the ones you buy in stores? Does it still come with the CD's? For me personally, I always want the first edition. I'll make an exception if it was only released in hard back through SFBC though. That's what I did for the MedStar books. My one hardcover, looks much better than two small soft cover books.

Yeah, all the novels are slightly smaller, but I see no difference in the 'reference' books like the Visual Dictionary.  It appears to be the same release that you find in stores.  That being said, I won't know if SW Vault is smaller until it shows up.  And yes, it still comes with the CD's.

Offline Chris Wyman

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2007, 10:31 PM »

Yeah, all the novels are slightly smaller, but I see no difference in the 'reference' books like the Visual Dictionary.  It appears to be the same release that you find in stores.  That being said, I won't know if SW Vault is smaller until it shows up.  And yes, it still comes with the CD's.

Please let us know if it is the same size or not. I'm real curious to know now. It's hard to believe that a book as expensive as that was in book stores is selling for $10.00 if it's the exact same.
"Star Wars Is Forever"

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2007, 10:45 PM »
Please let us know if it is the same size or not. I'm real curious to know now. It's hard to believe that a book as expensive as that was in book stores is selling for $10.00 if it's the exact same.

Trust me, I'm about as surprised as you are.  At first I couldn't believe it when it showed up as $9.99 in my cart, so I had BrentS confirm my eyes.  Needless to say, he ordered one too when he saw the price.

Here's the description from the web-site:

"Celebrate the 30th anniversary of the first Star Wars® movie with this commemorative gift package! The Star Wars Vault draws from the vast Lucasfilm archives to present an unprecedented history and tribute to the films and the innovations they sparked. Among its wonders are • a 128-page book featuring more than 50 pieces of interactive memorabilia, including reproductions of Lucas's  handwritten script pages, flip-through catalogs, posters, t-shirt transfers, stickers, blueprints, animation cels, and more • approximately 250 full-color and black-and-white images • two CDs—over 2 hours!—of vintage radio ads, original cast interviews, excerpts from the NPR Star Wars radio drama, and more. Slipcased. 2007."

Comparing that to the Amazon.com description, it's the same.  It doesn't give the book's dimensions like they do on Amazon, but if it contains everything listed above, I have to believe it's the same size as the one offered in stores and on-line.  I'll definitely let you know once it arrives.

Oh, btw, I got it shipped for free too because I ended up spending more than $25...