Author Topic: I dreamt of an alternate story for the prequels last night.  (Read 4816 times)

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
I dreamt of an alternate story for the prequels last night.
« on: February 19, 2008, 10:23 AM »
I had a dream last night that the prequels were quite a bit different.

The Phantom Menace went along as normal until near the very end. Instead of Obi-wan killing Maul, before Obi got the chance Palpatine summoned Maul through the Force. Begrudgingly Maul did so, leaving Obi hanging in the pit. The rest of the movie plays out pretty much as it did with a few changes. The talk at Qui-gon’s funeral changes to which Sith did Obi face as opposed to kill. Obi is still granted Knight hood (instead of for killing a Sith it is for standing him down-even though Maul escapes). We see a shrouded figure on Kamino making a deal-presumably Sifo-Dyas-but looks like Palpatine in the robes we’ve become accustomed to seeing him in as the Emperor. In a scene VERY much like the end of AOTC, we see Maul meet with Sidious on Coruscant in the same building. (It’s the same scene, but instead of Dooku it’s Maul and instead of being the beginning of the clone wars the conversation becomes something on the order of Sidious saying their plans are in motion.

With Maul ALIVE, the “Phantom Menace” name makes much more sense. Between this time and AOTC, he wreaks havoc throughout the Republic killing Jedi at every turn.

Fast forward to AOTC. It starts the same, but instead of Zam Wessel trying to take out Padme, it is Jango directly. Same chase scene but it’s now Jango. The scene in the Outlander change however. Jango does not get his arm cut off, instead he fires off a couple of shots with his pistols and dashes out of the club. Obi and Ani give chase, but lose him immediately outside of the club. However now Obi looks up and sees Maul (where it would have been Jango instead). Maul’s horns a longer now, kind of like we saw him in the graphic novel (I forget the name of it off hand though). With the memory of his dead master flashing back in his mind, Obi takes off to get Maul while Ani is told to go back to the council to tell them of the bounty hunter. Obi chases Maul down and catches up to him. It is on Coruscant that they have the fierce climatic fight. Much more action and force usage as they are both 10 years older and wiser in the force. Eventually Obi gets the upper hand and slices Maul in half. Meanwhile Ani is explaining to the council what happened when they all feel a tremor in the force, that being Maul being killed by Obi-wan. Obi and Ani start their investigation of the bounty hunter much as they did in the real movie. Same Dex Diner scene, Padawan scenes, etc. Now we see a scene of Palpatine meeting with Dooku in his Chancellors office. As Dooku is about to leave, Mace some of the other council and some Senators arrive. Mace gives a very concerned stern look at Dooku as he leaves. From here the rest of the movie plays out as it did.

Unfortunately this is where my dream ended and I didn’t get to ROTS. Still, I think I like this version MUCH better than what was played out on screen. This dream was so real that when I woke up my heart was racing. I wish you all could have had the same dream. I think you would have liked seeing this alternate version.

Again, it’s just a dream, not something I deliberately thought up or wrote as a fanfic, so please don’t pick it apart. Not all angles were covered in the dream, as again, it was just a dream.

-Sal
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
Re: I dreamt of an alternate story for the prequels last night.
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 12:27 PM »
Nice! Quite frankly that sounds better than what we actually got, and addresses one of my biggest concerns about the prequels, which is the lack of consistent villains across the trilogy. Yours streamlines the plot by eliminating a disposable villain (Zam) and keeping Maul around for more than just one movie so their final confrontation is a lot more satisfying. I'm also kind of curious what would have happened with Grievous (personally I wish he had been a cyborgified Maul) but I guess we'll never know unless tomorrow night brings the conclusion.

Your subconscious should be writing for Lucasfilm. :P
« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 12:28 PM by Nathan »
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 12:35 PM »
Cool, I like it. Sometimes I think about the PT and what could've made it better.

For example, I always thought it would've been cooler to see Boba and Mace fight each other in ROTS, ultimately leading to Mace's demise. I think Dooku should've killed Padme, and then Palpatine would have had Anakin kill Dooku and become the next Sith. Then when Obi-Wan found out about this, he would try to kill Palpatine but Vader would protect him, then get sliced up so he could get his costume. Then Palpatine holds Obi-Wan hostage to lure Yoda and a few Jedi over to kill them. All accompanying Jedi are killed off, but Yoda gets out with Obi-Wan. Then Palpatine issues Order 66, and sends Vader to the Temple. End scenes are Vader marching into Temple with 501st, young Tarkin leading stormtroopers onto Mustafar to kill off Separatists and steal plans, and Luke and Leia being distributed.

An alternate PT would make a great photonovel idea...

Your subconscious should be writing for Lucasfilm. :P

Agreed! (Nathan's post was made while I was typing)
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 12:36 PM »
Thanks Nathan.

Yeah, I wish the ol' noggin would have kept dreaming. I'd have liked to have seen where it would have gone in ROTS.

And I agree, a cyborg Maul like the one in Visionaries (I finally remembered the name of the book I eluded to from the dream) http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Visionaries , would have been cool in ROTS instead of Greivous, but it would have broken the rule of two (Sith). Well I won't go to sleep tonight trying to make the third part happen and I won't just make something up to fit it in either.  I'm glad I had the dream I did and kinda wish the movies would have followed that instead.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 12:37 PM »
Thanks to you as well, Robo-Quack.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2008, 02:52 PM »
I had a dream last night that a hamburger was eating ME!

"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2008, 04:40 PM »
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2008, 04:14 PM »
I like the use of Maul alot more then he was in TPM. It does work better.

I however would have allowed Qui-gon to stay alive the end of TPM. He would be disabled by Maul and Maul would get away. However, I would have had Qui-gon find out something during TPM that puts him on the side of the federation at the end of the movie. He then takes over the role of Count Dooku. Everything else would have worked the same except Qui-gon is now Dooku. There would have had the fight between Obi-wan and Dooku (Qui-gon) much more interesting and would have forshadowed the obiwan-anakin fight in the next movie. Also Anakin would end up having to kill the man that got him off Tatooine to become a Jedi. That would give alot more emotion to the scene.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2008, 09:25 PM »
I like the use of Maul alot more then he was in TPM. It does work better.

I however would have allowed Qui-gon to stay alive the end of TPM. He would be disabled by Maul and Maul would get away. However, I would have had Qui-gon find out something during TPM that puts him on the side of the federation at the end of the movie. He then takes over the role of Count Dooku. Everything else would have worked the same except Qui-gon is now Dooku. There would have had the fight between Obi-wan and Dooku (Qui-gon) much more interesting and would have forshadowed the obiwan-anakin fight in the next movie. Also Anakin would end up having to kill the man that got him off Tatooine to become a Jedi. That would give alot more emotion to the scene.

Well it was a dream so I couldn't make it go in whatever direction I like. However, I will say having Qui-gon in place of Dooku is near genius. That would have been very powerful to the story and gotten us more emotionaly involved with the characters. That is one BIG thing sadly the prequels certainly lacked over the OT.

-Sal