Author Topic: Newsarama's Cast Off Retro: Star Wars  (Read 2646 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Newsarama's Cast Off Retro: Star Wars
« on: December 4, 2008, 07:05 PM »
I don't know how much traffic this topic will get here, but Newsarama is continuing its recent casting polls (so far, they've focused on comic book movies), and currently has a poll up starting off a new series of "modern casting" of the Star Wars OT.  Its just for fun, but I thought I'd pass it along here - they are starting off with Obi-Wan Kenobi.  They provide five choices (and name their favorite), and then you can vote if you'd like.  Anyways, just thought I'd pass it along, as it might be interesting to see the various choices.

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Newsarama's Cast Off Retro: Star Wars
« Reply #1 on: December 4, 2008, 07:41 PM »
It is an interesting list, three real life knights on there. I ruled out McKellan and Stewart pretty quickly. As much as I like Sir Ian McKellan, I wouldn't want to see him as both Gandalf and Kenobi. I was kind of thinking Connery at first. He would have a bit more edge that Guiness but I think he can still play the father figure/mentor, Henry Sr. in TLC is great example fo this. Then when I saw Morgan Freeman on the list my opinion shifted a little bit. He's definitle got the old mentor role down and is one of my favorite actors. I ended up voting for Morgan Freeman because I had to choose one, but I'm still split on the two.
"This is the way."

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
Re: Newsarama's Cast Off Retro: Star Wars
« Reply #2 on: March 2, 2009, 08:54 PM »
I don't like any of those choices--not that they're bad but they're all so obvious since most of them have been playing variations of the Ben Kenobi role for years already. If I had to pick, I'd say Connery (the mid-1990s version).

Better possibilities:

Bill Nighy

John Hurt

Ben Kingsley

Jeremy Irons

David Thewlis
-- after seeing Kingdom of Heaven I thought he'd make a good Clone Wars Obi-Wan, so give it a decade or two and he could play old Ben instead.

Christopher Lee -- twenty years ago.

Even Liam Neeson if he had a director and editor that actually allowed his acting skill to come through. ::)
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)