Author Topic: PS2 - Return To Castle Wolfenstein  (Read 2187 times)

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
PS2 - Return To Castle Wolfenstein
« on: June 14, 2003, 12:32 AM »
Now, I was a Wolfenstein fan ever since I played it on my old Mac many years ago... So, when my pal picked the sequel up for PS2, of course I had high expectations. So far, the game really kicks ass - there's still a Wolfenstein feeling in the air, but now there's alot cooler graphics. The big question on my mind was - can the game be recaptured, better yet, can it be put on the PS2 succesfully. I think 'yes', the game is pretty entertaining for the most part - while nowhere near as great as Hitman 2 - RtCW really makes itself worth a purchase (though I refuse to pay over $30 for any games).
The bigger flaws is the irritating lack of accuracy in the weapons... I'm taking head-shots at people and the bullet jumps several inches above the intended target. Another thing - in the Original Wolf there was a lil cheat map where you could see who was in the rooms around you - this is no longer avaliable, which sucks when you wanna play around a lil.

Best moment -
There's a lil alley, outside of this desert town, I step out of the shadows and quickly jump back to cover, trying to draw out enemy fire. Nothing happens, so I step out again and walk forward. BAM, I'm hit by a single shot, then by another, and I realize this is no infantryman, I'm getting blazed by a sniper. So - I ease around the corner, toss a grenade randomly, then figure out where he is - on the second story of a little house across the alley. So I run across the street and lean against the building with the sniper in it, I get another grenade, I crawl into the inside of the building and throw the grenade to the second story... I run out, then all a sudden the sniper jumps from the second story as the grenade blows, and he takes a good pop at me... I gun him down with my tommy, but he manages to knock me down to about 8 health... Dunno if the AI is that smart or if it was just luck, but it was awesome finally having some competition.  :-*

Offline Mandalorian Madman

• Youngling
  • He's no good to me at all.
    • View Profile
Re: PS2 - Return To Castle Wolfenstein
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2003, 02:18 AM »
that sounds awesome.  and if the ai is that smart, I'm gonna go and buy it tomorrow. I am so tired of ai that just stands there and lets you pop it or continues to try and walk thru walls while you're wailing on the bad guy (wolverine's revenge?).  I had it in my hand the other day but put it back.  may have to go back and give it a try.
JD

"Open them.  All of them."

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2003, 02:39 AM »
The AI seems to differ from soldier to soldier, some guys seem to just carry on conversations despite the "creek" of the door behind them, while others are really wise to any quick movements, etc. I'd rent it, first.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2003, 06:29 AM »
Man, thats a game I haven't played in along time. I just loved it. Now I'll have to find my CD of it & get back into playing it again.

Offline TopJedi

• Jedi Initiate
  • The Toy Whore!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2003, 10:07 AM »
God, I used to play Wolfenstein and Duke Nukemfor hours growing up......

I spotted the PS2 Wolfenstein last weekend......I thought about buying it...but I didn't......now I wish I had ;)
Brian AKA TopJedi
sniperman76@hotmail.com

Always interested in trading for Clone troopers,Battle Droids and other army builders

Offline Sith Lord Cosmo

• Jedi Initiate
  • Detroit, WHAT?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2003, 11:09 AM »
I rented RTCW a few weels ago for Xbox and I really liked it.  The AI is good, but not great.  Its not at the level of Splinter Cell, but its not bad.  I may buy it if I can find it cheap enough
Hotter than Bond.  Cooler than Bullitt

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2003, 03:59 PM »
Brad, when did that come out on PS2?  I beat that game on the PC a couple months ago, but I absolutely HAD to use cheats on the very last level.  It was way too hard!  I wonder if there are any differences between the PS2 and PC versions of this game (different levels, environments, enemies, etc).  Anyone know?
dustrho

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2003, 04:16 PM »
It's pretty new, maybe only a month old on the console. It was on sale at Circuit City for $38 today and yesterday only, I think, but I'm not so sure. Hopefully this makes the 'Best Seller' list and I can buy it for $20. Luckily though, my friend tends to buy games and drop them off at my house (Hitman 2, Ghost Recon, Splinter Cel, etc), so I will probably finish it before he wants it back.

As far as the PC/Console differences - I'm sure the levels are the same, with minor changes do to size/etc. Q3a wasn't changed at all, and ID Games made that game and ported it to PS2 as well.

So far in the game I've made it to probably half-way or a little less, but I've used no cheats (can't find any). Unlike most games I've played, the AI changes per charactor type.

I you want to know what's going on the game, highlight the black line. Warning, the black line may contain spoilers!!!!

Your charactor is basically told to investigate a new branch of the Nazi SS... Nothing is really known about this branch, except that it's called the SS Paranomal Division. If I understood correctly, you basically break into a Nazi garrisson to see what's going on - where you discover that the Nazi's are digging for something. You and a buddy are able to break out of the garrisson, hotwire a Junker JU57, and fly off towards safety... Unfortunately this mean Nazi bimbo shoots your plain down and you and your pal are taken prisoner in Castle Wolfenstein.
You wake up, break out, find your partner dead on an operating table, and somehow manage to escape the Castle without much trouble.
Once again you have to investigate the Paranormal Division, this time to find what they are digging up. You realize they have un-earthed a bunch of zombies and ****, and in typical Wolfenstein fashion, you decide to jump down into the underground tunnels and see what's going on.
This portion of the game is honestly sorta spooky - it's alot like The Mummy, where a bunch of zombies are running around killing people before your eyes. In one scene I stumbled upon a firefight between Nazi's and zombies - very weird.
Anywho - you basically slay a bunch of spooks during most of this portion of the game, and sometimes the occasional 'Elite Guard' (foxy Nazi women with auto's), until you finally find a Boss who you have to beat up.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2003, 04:28 PM by Angry Ewok »

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2003, 08:37 PM »
It sounds very similar to the PC version, but I'll have to rent this to see if there are any differences or not.  Thanks for the input Brad.
dustrho