Author Topic: UEFA EURO 2008  (Read 4181 times)

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
UEFA EURO 2008
« on: June 21, 2008, 04:00 PM »
Am I the only one watching this?

There is only 1 other Soccer/Football/Futbol thread in the entire Sports Forum....and it was World Cup 2006 Fantasy League.

I'm not from Europe, don't live in Europe, so I don't have a strong rooting interest...but I will watch every game they play on TV.

Anybody else watching or have a Team in this one?

I will probably root for Germany since England did not even make it into the tournament.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
Re: UEFA EURO 2008
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2008, 04:04 PM »
I'm actually watching Holland-Russia right now.  Haven't been able to catch up with the tournament until now.  Saw one Russian player take a hilarious dive.  I'd like to see Italy advance further, but they didn't do so well in group play.

But then being the multi-tasker that I am, I'm also watching baseball as well as the US olympic trials at the same time.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2008, 04:08 PM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2008, 12:21 PM »
I'm watched the Russia-Nederlands game, too. That was an exciting match. Was rooting for the Russians as I have studied there and have family from there. This was one of the better Russian teams I've seen in a long time as they are playing as a team and not individual stars. Now they will go on to play either Italy or Spain and that will be a tough match-up. I might even have to take some days off work to enjoy this!

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 07:34 PM »
Ok the Fixtures/Games this week are:

Germany v Turkey on Wednesday

and

Russia v. Spain on Thursday

Who do you favor?

I would say Germany over Turkey, based on the fact that Turkey is missing the starting goal keeper and 3-4 other players due to Cards or injury.  But the Turks can't be counted out after their wins in the Tournament.

I would think Spain has the edge over Russia as well, but the Russians are playing well and at least found the back of the net 3 times to beat the Dutch.   I still say Spain.

Also, are you guys watching it in HD?  Yesterday we switched at half time from EURO 2008 in HD to World Cup Qualifications USA v. Barbados...it was like watching my daughter's games on a camera phone it was so bad, picture quality that is.

Thoughts?

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2008, 01:37 AM »
I'll take Germany for the reasons you mentioned, Paul: injuries on the Turkish side.
The Spain-Russia game is going to be tough as I will favor Russia, but Spain is going to be good.

So Germany-Russia in the finals for me.

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 11:20 AM »
Glad i am not alone here as the only one who loves soccer. Sadly Italy is now out  :-[
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2008, 04:21 PM »
Glad i am not alone here as the only one who loves soccer. Sadly Italy is now out  :-[

Whaaaaaaaat?  You're cheering for Italy.  Man, I never would have guessed that ;)
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2008, 08:14 AM »

Whaaaaaaaat?  You're cheering for Italy.  Man, I never would have guessed that ;)

Surprising I'm sure  ;) At least I can say Italy is still the world cup champs. On a side note a few of my friends an i are considering gettinga group together for the 2014 Cup in brazil. Could be interesting.

Offline AndyG

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Imperial Outpost
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2008, 02:24 PM »
I'm going for a Germany Spain final, with Spain running out winners.

The Spanish have under performed as a footballing nation for quite some time, so about time they won something.

Overall the competiton has been fairly good with not too much negative play (although some games like France Romania were not very good) and not as much diving / simulation (or cheating a I prefer to call it), as I was originally anticipating.

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2008, 04:44 PM »
Wow...that was a game.  At least the part we got to see was..in a game where 5 goals were scored, we got to see 2 live because the storm here in the US.

But let me tell you the most painful part of the game for me was....the guy getting Staples in his head, on the sideline, no anesthetic...

Offline AndyG

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Imperial Outpost
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2008, 05:14 PM »
Wow...that was a game.  At least the part we got to see was..in a game where 5 goals were scored, we got to see 2 live because the storm here in the US.

:o

I don't think anyone could have predicted that...............the only thing missing was a red card (or maybe I missed that in all the tv outages).

The storm (in Vienna which is where the media centre for the tournament is) blew out all the worlds live tv feed - so here in the UK we were getting radio commentary broadcast over the tv channel when we had no tv feed.

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2008, 03:34 PM »
First half just finished. Not a bad goal for Spain but the ref needs to calm down a bit. I think those 2 yellow cards were not needed.