Author Topic: NBA 2007 - 2008  (Read 28267 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: NBA 2007 - 2008
« Reply #15 on: February 6, 2008, 09:17 AM »
Yeah, that's definitely a trade I didn't imagine happening.  It seems a little strange from the Phoenix side.  I mean, I know they traditionally have trouble with the West's bigs come playoff time, and I do think the Lakers-Gasol trade made some of the west teams a little antsy, but it will be interesting to see if/how Shaq can fit in with the running Suns.  From what reports are saying, Shaq and Marion are both open to the move.  I've never quite understood why Marion wants out of PHX so badly, aside from not being the big cheese.  He makes all-star teams, plays on one of the best teams in the league - with title shots each year, and from what I understand is pretty well paid (due $17 mil next season unless he opts out).  Oh well, have fun in Miami Shawn :).

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 6, 2008, 09:58 AM »
Please, please, PLEASE let these rumors be true.  I'd love to see Wade and The Matrix play together.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 6, 2008, 02:22 PM »
Just what the **** are the Suns doing?

This looks like an incredibly, horribly, lopsided deal.  What happened, did Marion just refuse to take the court again?

This is beyond comprehension.  That's all I can muster in terms of commentary about this deal.  This is simply beyond comprehension.

Shaq's missed 83 games over the past 3 seasons to a host of injuries, and he's garnering Shawn Marion, one of the top 10 players in the game?  Shaq's 36 years old.

Someone tell me what I'm missing here.
« Last Edit: February 6, 2008, 02:29 PM by Dressel Rebel »
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 6, 2008, 02:38 PM »
I"m with you on this one.  Makes no sense at all.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline john todd

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm the llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 7, 2008, 06:15 PM »
i think both players were to the point of laying out on their teams.  shaq and marion were having career lows.   i don't know if it will push phoenix into being realistic contenders, but i don't think they are really worse for the deal, and miami definitely got better.

shaq might not seem like a good fit, but i guarantee dallas, san antonio and la will be watching with great interest to see how this works out.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2008, 05:51 PM »
What in the hell is wrong with teams?

Jason Kidd and Malik Allen from New Jersey to Dallas in return for Devin Harris, Jerry Stackhouse, DeSagana Diop, Devean George and Maurice Ager

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2008, 06:47 PM »

Jason Kidd and Malik Allen from New Jersey to Dallas in return for Devin Harris, Jerry Stackhouse, DeSagana Diop, Devean George and Maurice Ager

Don't forget the draft picks to NJ.

What did you find unbelievable about the deal?

Offline john todd

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm the llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2008, 07:25 PM »

Don't forget the draft picks to NJ.

What did you find unbelievable about the deal?

this deal would really have to throw the mavs into a spiral for the draft picks to matter.  other than a little blind luck, the 29th pick in the draft usually doesn't pan out.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2008, 09:17 PM »
5 Nobodys for Jason Kidd...sounds like Devan George blocked the deal anyway

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2008, 09:23 PM »
5 Nobodys for Jason Kidd...sounds like Devan George blocked the deal anyway

Well, I think the Nets wanted the 2 draft picks and PG Devin Harris.  They're not gonna win a title with Kidd and are looking to rebuild.  Even the Mavericks were playing Harris to make him the PG of the future, but when Kidd became available, and with Gasol bolstering the Lakers and Shaq in theory bolstering the Suns, the Mavs wanted to take a shot now.

I don't see it as bad as the Marion-Shaq deal, but I think Kidd may have been worth a little more.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2008, 10:09 PM »
Oh, don't get me wrong, I agree its nowhere near as bad as the Shaq deal.  Its just frustrating that the Wolves tried at least 3 times in the last 3 years to get Kidd and they agreed to that deal...I'm just pissed

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2008, 11:59 AM »
I'm still marveling at how Devean George had the ability to block a trade for Jason Kidd.

Here's a guy averging 14 lousy minutes with 3 PPG avg. on 36% shooting.  He's 30, he's not exactly going to improve and start tearing up the league.

You have to think this deal is gonna get done with or without George.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 12:02 PM by Dressel Rebel »

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2008, 11:18 PM »
Just when I thought I had seen everything there was to see in the Dunk Contest ... along comes Dwight Howard.  Holy ****!

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2008, 12:44 PM »
Yeah, I really enjoyed Dwight Howard's dunks.  He's fun to watch.  I thought he should have won last year really, as his dunks were more impressive than what I saw from the other contestants.  Its nice to see players like Howard actually coming up with something new again.  Now if they could put more than four contestants in it, or find a way to get some of the other "big names" to be in it, it would be even more entertaining.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2008, 01:56 PM »
Sounds like Shaq will play tonight (against the Lakers) for the first time as a Sun.

I don't think this will play out like the Suns have hoped but we'll see.

BTW, when did the All-Star game become a cable only event?

The last time I watched the All-Star game it was on 'free' TV.