Author Topic: NBA 2007 - 2008  (Read 28266 times)

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: NBA 2007 - 2008
« Reply #75 on: June 2, 2008, 07:57 PM »
I'm picking the Lakers as well, but I'll be rooting for the Celtics the whole way.  I'd like to see KG, Pierce, and Allen get a ring. 
The Celtics really have to win both Games 1 and 2.  With the 2-3-2 format of the Finals, they do not want to go to LA tied 1-1 (or worse).

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 2, 2008, 10:45 PM »
I'm completely rooting for the Celtics but I am very concerned about the Lakers. 

Celtics have had an expectation all season long and that's not good.  Nobody, outside of Jay, mentioned them having a shot during the season.  Kobe's pissed and motivated, Phil's got a desire to prove something and it's a very good, young ball club.  There's not a lot of playoff experience floating around, outside of Kobe, on either team.  I'll be watching and cheering but I'd really like to see the Celtics win so I can mock the hell out of Colman, even in absentia. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 3, 2008, 09:13 PM »
I'm completely rooting for the Celtics but I am very concerned about the Lakers. 

Celtics have had an expectation all season long and that's not good.  Nobody, outside of Jay, mentioned them having a shot during the season. 

Well, in the defense of everyone but Jay, it's not like we knew Pau Gasol would be gift wrapped and delivered mid-season.  I don't know how to put this, but, he's kind of a big deal.  People know him.  He's very important.  He has many leather-bound books.  And his apartment smells of rich mohagony.  He's friends with Merlin Olsen too, he comes over, on occasion.

« Last Edit: June 3, 2008, 09:19 PM by Dressel Rebel »
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline JayDouble

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Let The Wookie Win!
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 4, 2008, 03:01 AM »
Well, in the defense of everyone but Jay, it's not like we knew Pau Gasol would be gift wrapped and delivered mid-season.  I don't know how to put this, but, he's kind of a big deal.  People know him.  He's very important.  He has many leather-bound books.  And his apartment smells of rich mohagony.  He's friends with Merlin Olsen too, he comes over, on occasion.

You're so wise. You're like a miniature Buddha, covered in hair.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 5, 2008, 10:50 PM »
I think the series just ended.  :-\

Pierce went down and looks to be in a lot of pain.  He didn't break anything, but I'm gonna bet he strained/sprained the medial collateral ligament.  2nd/3rd degree and he's done for the series.  I'm just guessing and haven't seen a good replay yet without a body in the way. 

I don't think they fill that hole in this series.

::)  And Pierce comes back in with a sleeve on his knee.  WTF?  You get taken out in a wheelchair and come back with a rubber sleeve on your knee?

Gah :o  Five minutes later Perkins is off to the lockerroom.  At least he was walking.
« Last Edit: June 5, 2008, 10:56 PM by Morgbug »

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 5, 2008, 11:56 PM »
I'm so confused.  Was that all theatrics?  Guess it worked if it was. 

Offline Theo Zissou

• Youngling
    • View Profile
    • My myspace page
« Reply #81 on: June 6, 2008, 12:02 AM »
The lakers got Rondo'ed :) seen those commercials? lol

That was a really good game. The way Pierce came back out and hit those 3's. Felt like one of those old laker celtic games.
« Last Edit: June 6, 2008, 12:07 AM by Theo Zissou »

Offline JayDouble

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Let The Wookie Win!
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 6, 2008, 12:03 AM »
Lakers got exposed for their lack of toughness inside.  

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 6, 2008, 08:49 AM »
Was that all theatrics?  

No ... it was adrenaline.  According to reports, Pierce could barely walk after the game.  The trainers have a lot of work ahead of them to get him ready for Game 2.  Luckily for them, it isn't until Sunday.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 6, 2008, 07:53 PM »
Thought they were playing Sat. night...?

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 6, 2008, 08:31 PM »
Nope, Sunday it is.  Stretching it out for whatever reason.

Offline JayDouble

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Let The Wookie Win!
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 8, 2008, 11:19 PM »
My goodness, the Lakers to need man up they're playing soft.
« Last Edit: June 9, 2008, 02:19 AM by JayDouble »

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 9, 2008, 12:17 AM »
Man, were the Celtics trying to throw it away at the end? :o  Yes, for 40+ minutes you seemed to be leading by twenty, but ya gotta finish the game boys.  I don't need heart checks like that. 

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 11, 2008, 12:51 PM »
Anyone watch the game last night?  I have no trouble with the result, the Lakers played (a little bit) better than the Celtics no doubt. 

What was amazing was how universally horrid the refs were.   :o  They either completely missed or just let tons of stuff go.  About three and a half minutes to go, the Celtics have the ball and Pierce basically assaults Kobe to get loose.  He gets the ball, Kobe recovers and does foul him and gets called.  Much bitching ensued.  The second call was correct but Kobe was right to complain, I think a common citizen would have been arrested on the street for hitting as much as Pierce did.  Gasol got assaulted a couple of times too.  There were good Laker beatings on Celtics too. 

My point being this could be a really good and enjoyable series, but I hate what the NBA has become.  Basketball is still defined as a non-contact sport.  It was much more reminiscent of Australian rules football last night.  Blech.   

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 12, 2008, 12:29 PM »
A friend of mine and I were talking about just this issue yesterday Brent.  We've been watching NBA games together for as long as I can remember, and have always been big fans, but the refereeing is bordering on ridiculous at this point.  Like you mentioned the hammering was going on both ways in much of that game, and the foul calls were wildly inconsistent.  Another thing we discussed is this ongoing trend of the home team generally have two to three times as many free throws as the visiting team.  Some of the announcers have chalked this up to "the home team is more pumped up, so they get to the line more", which seems ridiculous to me.  This seems like a good matchup between Boston and Los Angeles, and I'd rather just see the refs do the job they are paid to do, instead of inconsistently calling fouls or "letting them play".  Pick one way to ref and stick with it, as long as it is consistent.  They shouldn't be a factor in the game(s).

On a bit of a tangent to that, I'm really getting tired of seeing virtually every single NBA player think they never foul.  I might be biased, being a fan, but Kevin Garnett might be one of the few players that I've seen rarely - if ever - argue calls against him.  Other than that, everyone from Gasol to Bryant, to Pierce to Perkins seem to argue or make forlorn faces over obvious foul calls.  I often wonder if while they are watching tape of the game, they're like "geez, I'm an ass, I clearly mugged him".  Anyways, just a mini-rant, its all part of the NBA these days I guess - but its getting old.