Author Topic: The Playset Thread  (Read 84715 times)

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
The Playset Thread
« Reply #45 on: July 7, 2007, 08:43 AM »
The stupid comments you make as you slither behind my every post looking for something to cry about rarely get under my skin these days, but when you accuse me of something you know nothing about, then your complete ignorance of the subject truly shows.   Normally I wouldn't feel any reason to explain anything to you that you aren't going to understand anyway, but when you accuse me of something like that, you are blasting my integrity; which is starting to cross a line.  You really don't know me as well as you thought you did Matthew.  So perhaps you need a refresher course.   

Oh, goody.

First off, Owen makes dioramas, not photonovels.  Big difference.  Keep it straight next time. 

Simple mistake.  I was confusing your neverending pimping of your own horrible photonovels for your neverending pimping of BLOWen’s dioramas.  Caught it, and fixed it a moment later, though.

Do I kiss Owen's ass?  At times, yes (he is my best friend in his hobby after all and my collection would be pretty bland without his dioramas).  But I think he deserves a hell of a lot of credit regardless if he's my friend or not.  Owen is making dioramas that would be the ultimate playsets if Hasbro followed his style.  And, he's the only person who is doing so that I'm aware of, and filling a huge gap in my collection by doing so, as well as for a lot of other people in the community.

It’s good stuff, sure, but not the be-all, end-all, like you try to make it out to be in every other post here, and every other “news story” that you put up over at Yak.

But why did I start pimping Owen's work here?  Not that I feel obligated to explain myself, but for you I'll make an exception, because lately you seem to be getting a bit stressed.

How do you mean, Doctor?  I’m not the one blowing a gasket and writing 3,000 word responses in here.  Just a couple of pics of some dead horses, that’s all.

I started discussing Owen's work here a while back because Owen doesn't post at Jedidefender and I thought people should see his work.

Finally!  We get the backstory of the BLOWen/PHEWIE pimp/whore saga.  I’ve been waiting for this!

He doesn't have DSL and only posts at RS, which is pretty rare for him to even post there.

Go on!

So, after getting my first diorama from him a couple years ago, I was amazed at the quality and wanted to show some new items in my collection, and naturally I credited Owen for his work.

Naturally.

So I opened This Thread showing the stuff I had purchased from him.  And from time to time when a topic comes up where I want to reference something with a visual, I'll use one of Owen's items as an example if it applies.

Simply fascinating, Sir.  Thank you, thank you so much.  Allow me, on behalf of the entire online Star Wars collecting community, to thank you for sharing this incredibly gifted artist’s work with the rest of the world.  And please keep doing so!  We are all tremendously lucky to have someone like him around.  I’m glad he doesn’t post here, really, because I don’t know what I’d do in his presence!  Probably piss myself.

The only thing we need now are updates on BLOWen's bowel movements.  With pics, please.  I'm sure they're spectacular.

Now, if you think Owen's stuff is overpriced, whatever.  You've never ordered something from him and I doubt he'd deal with you anyway. 

I wouldn’t deal with him in the first place.  As shown by the few posts he’s made here, he’s a huge ass—and your head being permanently lodged up there isn't helping matters any.  But you’re right, I don’t have any direct knowledge of his prices.  All I know is what I’ve read in threads like this one, where you yourself mentioned the silly Death Star playset, and that it was so pricey that you don’t know if you’ll be able to order stuff like that from him anymore.  So I get the feeling that, even with all the pimping you’re doing for him, that his stuff isn’t exactly on the cheap side.

And I've never seen evidence of you doing absolutely anything in customizing,

Right.  Outside of a couple of quick-and-easy customs a few years ago (like fixing the original R5-D4), I don’t have much interest in customizing at all.  It’s not my thing.

so I'd say you're have a lack of knowledge on how much work goes into a work of art.

You could say that, I guess, but you’d be wrong.  For a long time, I was good friends with a fairly well-known member of the customizing community, and my best friend is a painter, who drives all over the country going to dozens of art shows every year.  So I do have a bit of an idea about this stuff.

Overpriced?  What a joke.

But you already touched on that earlier.  Here, let me help you:

Now, if you think Owen's stuff is overpriced, whatever.  You've never ordered something from him and I doubt he'd deal with you anyway.

Moving on.

As for you questioning my integrity, I started getting some discounts from Owen after my first 10 or so items I ordered from him (more than anyone else has ordered to that point), but also because we've become friends.  But you mean to tell me that I also get discounts from Owen because I show pictures of his work?  That's new to me!  I'll have to tell him that since Matt said so, I get a discount moving forward.

Hell yeah!  Cut me in on some of that action!  Just tell BLOwen to keep it out of my hair.

Really Matt, if you have any more questions about the fine art of customizing, there is a great customizing section here where many people would be more than willing to assist you, or please feel free to PM me.

No thanks.  Like I said, I’m not very interested in customizing, and even if I was, I’d never ask a shameless whore like you for help, anyway.

This is a thread about playsets; not rotting horses in Kosovo.

It was about playsets, and turned into yet another area for you to bitch and moan and whine and complain about Hasbro not making any, which you do almost as much as you peddle BLOwen’s **** for him.  That’s when the dead horses came into play.
« Last Edit: July 7, 2007, 08:45 AM by Matt »
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
The Playset Thread
« Reply #46 on: July 7, 2007, 09:32 AM »
I'm not sure it's that cut and dry.

If Hasbro has exclusive rights to everything in the 3-3/4 scale, how is Attakus able to produce something in this scale?  What exactly would prohibit another company like GG doing so if they created something similar, but not cast in metal?

:P

Great point, but I think (I can't say with 100% certainty) that Attakus' international status is less of a threat to Hasbro's domestic profits which is why they were granted permission. Also, I believe that they advertize that the scale is close to 3 3/4", not exact. Could be wrong about that too. :P
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
The Playset Thread
« Reply #47 on: July 7, 2007, 01:09 PM »
Anton, you're probably right that their international status is less of a threat to Hasbro.  I didn't think of that.  I guess limited production run too and of course the very small market that can afford their 3-3/4" (or close to it) scale. 

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
The Playset Thread
« Reply #48 on: July 7, 2007, 01:43 PM »
I wouldn’t deal with him in the first place.  As shown by the few posts he’s made here, he’s a huge ass

Seeing how you're never an ass and find a way to get along with everyone, I'm sure you could work something out.

But you’re right, I don’t have any direct knowledge of his prices.  All I know is what I’ve read in threads like this one, where you yourself mentioned the silly Death Star playset, and that it was so pricey that you don’t know if you’ll be able to order stuff like that from him anymore. 

It's more of changing priorities.  I'm a dad now, and will probably be spending more of my time with my son, and would rather spend my money on him.  I'm sure I'll still be getting some things from Owen (wait until you see the Palpatine's Office and the Wookiee Treehouse he's making, you'll love these!!!) but I'm sure moving forward things will slow down.

Like I said, I’m not very interested in customizing, and even if I was, I’d never ask a shameless whore like you for help, anyway.

Why Matthew, what an ugly thing for you to say!  Does this mean we're not friends anymore?   ;D

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
The Playset Thread
« Reply #49 on: July 7, 2007, 01:59 PM »
Seeing how you're never an ass and find a way to get along with everyone, I'm sure you could work something out.

Brother, I'll be the first to admit that I'm always an ass.  Difference is, I'm not trying to sell anything.  I don't have any former, current, or future customers that I'm giving an attitude to.

It's more of changing priorities.  I'm a dad now, and will probably be spending more of my time with my son, and would rather spend my money on him.

That is excellent, excellent news.  Good for you, good for him, good for everybody.

(wait until you see the Palpatine's Office and the Wookiee Treehouse he's making, you'll love these!!!)

Pins and needles, man.  Pins and needles.

Why Matthew, what an ugly thing for you to say!  Does this mean we're not friends anymore?   ;D

Didn't we do this one before?

"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
The Playset Thread
« Reply #50 on: July 7, 2007, 06:08 PM »
*sigh*..shakes head

I'll put this spin on it.
I would like a new, well designed, playable playset-I really would. Unfortunately, from all the product out there from all the vendors right now- I really wouldn't be able to afford one this year anyway- So I'm pleased none are announced by anyone.

DS

::)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
The Playset Thread
« Reply #51 on: July 8, 2007, 05:36 AM »
For what it's worth, I discussed the playset/diorama issue with Hasbro at length at C4 last month, and believe it or not, they're actually finally starting to entertain the idea of delving back into this realm.  I thought I mentioned this somewhere already, but if not, they said their priorities on potential playsets/dioramas would be Death Star I, Cantina, Jabba's Palace, and possibly Death Star II.  It was the first time in the last several years that they didn't throw out a "no way, fat chance, get lost" response, which was certainly encouraging.  They also mentioned they finally understood that folks might actually buy additional figures to display in such dioramas, which may help make up a little bit for the lower/unacceptable  profit margin they've long feared on these things.  They also said they were exploring the best way to bring some of these items to market (as exclusives, or modular sets, or whatever).  If I was a betting man, I'd expect to see these in the next several years...

They did however say (as they have the past couple years) that there's no way they'd license out the potential playset rights to GG, Sideshow, MR, or anyone else for that matter.  I discussed the amazing Attakus pieces with them, but don't recall now what they said about the licensing issues on those pieces.  I'll double check on that at Comic Con though.  They did realize that some of the more affluent adult collectors were more than happy to fork over the crazy cash to buy the Attakus Falcon and Death Star sets to use with their Hasbro figures, which they thought was rather surprising (and eye opening).

So there ya' go (and yes, I realize I'm posting in an already locked thread).  Maybe we'll reopen it a little later, once the horses are feeling better.  But I've gotta admit, I enjoy beating them too (just ask the Hasbro reps what a pain-in-the-ass I am)...

- M

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
The Playset Thread
« Reply #52 on: July 24, 2007, 09:22 PM »

Has anyone seen this new Hallmark ornament?  This is the sort of small environment stuff I'd love Hasbro to to make.  Almost similar to the old Simpson's playests.  It could come with one figure, and some props.  Any thoughts?

Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
The Playset Thread
« Reply #53 on: July 25, 2007, 01:11 AM »
I'd happily buy more playsets.

Give me Dagobah, an updated Ewok Village, Death Star... new ones... whatever.

As long as they're reasonably movie accurate I'd be interested.

Offline CloneF13Y35

• Jedi Padawan
  • I think I"m a CLone Now
    • View Profile
The Playset Thread
« Reply #54 on: July 25, 2007, 02:49 AM »
I know I'd like a new version of the Death Star, I still have the original. Now my son would like the death star, bespin cloud city, kamino, jedi temple, lars homestead - providing we GET ep2 Owen and Beru. And coruscant plaset with jedi temple, senate and palpy's office.
I've thought of making simple sets for the death star, tatooine and kamino out of cardboard boxes but I know it won't look like Owens or Attakus' sets. Just something simple for a fan.
{{|///////Frank//}[================>
"I think I'm a Clone now"
"No I'm not!"
"Yes - I AM"

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
The Playset Thread
« Reply #55 on: July 25, 2007, 05:33 PM »
I was looking at that too speedermike and ever since I first saw those Simpsons enviroments I've been hoping Hasbro would try something like those.  Make them decent quality/realistic looking and $20-$25 each, with a figure, and I'm sold.  I'd buy that kind of stuff more than vehicles.

CloneF13Y35, those are good ideas - I'd be interested in all of them.  So many memorable areas from the films that I want to have on display in my collection.  It's fun making your own of course too, but I wish they would make something like what you're describing.

And I think Rob's sentiment is what Hasbro should take into account if they dabble with playsets again, make them reasonably movie accurate...

I don't think they've really done anything similar to that idea outside of this -

If that missle launcher hadn't been part of this/taking away from the aesthetic value, I would have gotten more of these... they also should have designed that item with the edges to be able to line up so you could connect a long hallway if you wanted.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
The Playset Thread
« Reply #56 on: July 25, 2007, 06:00 PM »
The problem with the set pictured above is the fact that it does not market / merchandise well.

Look at it - outside of the missle launcher (which you hate) it's not fun for kids. 

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
The Playset Thread
« Reply #57 on: July 25, 2007, 08:11 PM »
The problem with the set pictured above is the fact that it does not market / merchandise well.

Look at it - outside of the missle launcher (which you hate) it's not fun for kids. 

Then perhaps they should try marketing items like this towards the collectors instead of trying to mesh the two markets they have...

I think a lot of the problem that Hasbro perceives is if they market towards kids, collectors won't like it.  If they market towards collectors, then kids won't like it. 

I agree with their approach that if they market something towards kids, the collector market won't find it very appealing.  Too bad they don't just market something like this with collectors in mind instead.  I know there's a lot of reasons that people have given as to why Hasbro hasn't done something like this - and many are great points.  But until they actually make some sort of diorama/playset that has a movie esque feel to it (which they haven't done), then I don't see any proof that can indicate that something like that couldn't succeed.

Also, seeing the Sideshow Enviorama of the Sandtroopers gets me wanting a Tatooine diorama made in the 3-3/4" scale, with this sort of attention to detail -

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
The Playset Thread
« Reply #58 on: July 26, 2007, 08:13 AM »
Quite simply, the key to a successful item (according to Hasbro's SW strategy) is that it must appeal to both consumer markets (kids and collectors).

I challenge anyone to examine their line and find an item that doesn't (role play being the exception).

Look at the lines that they've dropped and you'll see that they didn't fit the above criteria - they either appealed to collectors only (Titanium figures) or kids only (choppers and Jedi Force).

« Last Edit: July 26, 2007, 08:14 AM by ruiner »

Offline Dan

• Jedi Knight
  • Got some
    • View Profile
The Playset Thread
« Reply #59 on: July 26, 2007, 10:11 AM »
I've been jabbed on these board before for pushing for playsets, but I'll toss in another couple of cents anyway.
The battle packs have almost become playsets- they have fantastic backgrounds, sometimes come with props/extra items, and have scene specific figures that fit the environment. If Hasbro is looking at ways to do it, they are halfway there with the battle packs. Make some plastic panels with sticker sheets instead of cardboard so the background can be used once the package is open. Lose a figure and add some more props and droids. I would much rather buy a $20 battle pack with 4 figures and the moisture vaporator than blow $7.50 on a crappy luke to get one. And the $20 price point is drunk prom date for Hasbro, it just keeps putting out. It is a value price point for collectors getting multiple figures, it is a gift pricepoint for parents/grandparents, it is the reason all vehicles now have to be shrunk or blown up to meet the target selling price.

So they don't need to make something as detailed or large as Owen's to please 80% of the market. If they happened to make parts of it work together, that would be incredible (and unexpected).

I agree with DS, the amount of product currently available is probably a deterrent both for Hasbro and collectors alike. Maybe now isn't the right time. But a year or 2 from now, it might be just the thing to keep the figures selling and the stores buying. Remember in the end it comes down to what the stores want at least as much as what we want.

We all have unique ways of collecting, and sometimes change our habits. The overload of 30th product, combined with the huge Saga collection I picked up last year, convinced me to bail on the basic line for now. Anything I want to go back and get later will probably be cheaper, and I won't end up with things I wish I hadn't gotten. Other than some exclusives and the McFigures, Hasbro isn't getting my money this year- I probably have more figures than I can ever reasonably display/enjoy anyhow. But if they made some cool places for me to display some, I would be very pleased.