Author Topic: The Playset Thread  (Read 85314 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: The Playset Thread
« Reply #240 on: October 4, 2016, 07:25 PM »
And, just revealed... 

Doors in 6" and 3.75" scales!

Looking at the design, these appear that they'll be opening doors to boot.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: October 19, 2016, 11:37 AM »
For Justin:

http://www.gamespot.com/gallery/21-amazing-action-figure-playsets-from-your-childh/2900-852/

Man, that was a fun read. Playsets really were the best.

Has anyone seen that gigantic Batcave playset on the toy aisle recently? Sure seems like every other company is willing to have a go at these. If Hasbro is so worried about them not selling then make it a con exclusive or something.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #243 on: October 19, 2016, 02:20 PM »
I've seen the Batcave here in Iowa. It's very large, about the size of the Turtles sewer playset. I think its great they're trying it out. There is a market for playsets. I think part of the problem for Hasbro is that outside of the Falcon, there is no static setting in the films. Death Star, Cantina, Jabba's Palace, they're all great but they're here and gone. The Batcave, the Sewer, or Main St. for the Simpsons, these are places kids and collectors can mine play out of indefinitely. The Falcon fits that mold, but she had been absent for 30 years until TFA. The Nerf Falcon didn't really work the same as the BMF did in terms of a playset, but that's too expensive...

Offline StBrianOfMinneapolis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Biggs was right!
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: October 20, 2016, 09:29 AM »
I've seen the Batcave here in Iowa. It's very large, about the size of the Turtles sewer playset. I think its great they're trying it out. There is a market for playsets. I think part of the problem for Hasbro is that outside of the Falcon, there is no static setting in the films. Death Star, Cantina, Jabba's Palace, they're all great but they're here and gone. The Batcave, the Sewer, or Main St. for the Simpsons, these are places kids and collectors can mine play out of indefinitely. The Falcon fits that mold, but she had been absent for 30 years until TFA. The Nerf Falcon didn't really work the same as the BMF did in terms of a playset, but that's too expensive...

I was thinking about buying this batcave as I have no batcave. Now I'm thinking about buying it to boost the playset "movement".
Macklunkey!

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: October 20, 2016, 05:56 PM »
For Justin:

http://www.gamespot.com/gallery/21-amazing-action-figure-playsets-from-your-childh/2900-852/

The Rebel Command Center?
The set included a tauntaun, several snowspeeders, X-wing starfighters, Luke Skywalker and R2D2.

It included Luke and R2...not so much the rest, unless cardboard illustrations count.

Odd choice for that list. Also, the got She-Ra's waterfall set mixed up with her bigger playset.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #246 on: October 20, 2016, 06:15 PM »
Yeah seriously, the Rebel Command Center?  Hmmm...  ok.  To each their own on that one I guess. :)

I probably had the most fun with the Ewok set when I was young, or the Imperial Attack Base.  Those were pretty good.  But GI Joe had the best.  The Terror Drome and Joe Base were the knockers.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #247 on: October 21, 2016, 03:28 AM »
I had the Rebel Command Center when I was a kid.  It came with three figures:  Hoth Luke, R2-D2 with Sensor Scope and the AT-AT commander (IIRC) along with that sweet backdrop and the base.

I still have the figures and the base.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: October 21, 2016, 07:49 AM »
Yeah seriously, the Rebel Command Center?  Hmmm...  ok.  To each their own on that one I guess. :)

I probably had the most fun with the Ewok set when I was young, or the Imperial Attack Base.  Those were pretty good.  But GI Joe had the best.  The Terror Drome and Joe Base were the knockers.

+1

I never got the Rebel Command Center, or the Hoth Ice Planet set that used the same base.  I did have the Land of the Jawas playset which had the original incarnation of this base.  and I always liked the cardboard Sandcrawler along with the escape pod accessories.  The Imperial Attack Base was pretty awesome.  That one holds up really well. 

GI Joe really did have some of the best playsets, though.  I had the Joe base as well as the Tactical battle platform.  I wasn't lucky enough to get the Flagg, the Terror Drome or the Defiant Shuttle launch base.  And those pieces were probably the ultimate playsets!
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: October 22, 2016, 12:46 AM »
Fun going down memory lane with those playsets, thanks for sharing that Rob.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: October 22, 2016, 01:39 AM »
 :)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: October 22, 2016, 01:57 PM »
I found some Japanese model sets that look like they might make for a good non-Imperial starship interior:

hanger
hanger arm mounts
Mechanical Chain Base A
Machanical Chain Base B
System Base
H Hanger Octagon (Gray)

Feedback

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: October 25, 2016, 01:41 PM »
Just got my first order of space walls (ouch says the wallet).

Anybody tried hooking up fiber optic or LED lights to these yet?  Just curious where to go about sourcing these.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #253 on: October 25, 2016, 02:00 PM »
You can try harbor freight for some inexpensive options.  If you wanted to go balls out tho wiring up LEds yourself isn't too tough if you know how to solder. 

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: February 7, 2017, 10:54 AM »
Just got my first order of space walls (ouch says the wallet).

Anybody tried hooking up fiber optic or LED lights to these yet?  Just curious where to go about sourcing these.

GTP is now offering their Spacewalls LED panel 2 pack 1/12 scale for 6 inch figures, and you can also buy them via Amazon.

Feedback