Author Topic: Black Friday Cluster F... It's Coming!  (Read 13959 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Black Friday Cluster F... It's Coming!
« on: November 1, 2007, 02:54 AM »
Anyone else braving the **** storm that is Black Friday? 

I ask this because of the news posted on Rebelscum and on our very own front page that is detailing a Target sale, their exclusive Ultimate Battlepacks, and the contest that gets you into Lucasfilm HQ and your own Hasbro-Made SW figure of yourself.

Pretty flippin' cool to me on the contest, but very unlikely I'd win so it's not a HUGE deal.

I have done the Black Friday toy runs in the past...  Any trek to a Target is a huge pain for me though.  I could probably swing by my gf's Target without too much hastle, but really they're all pretty far off for me, so I'm not too sure I'm gonna make the "big sales" this year.

Anyone really planning to put on their soccer-mom beating gloves and head out into that cruel, cruel world of ****** attitudes and pseudo-deals?
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
Re: Black Friday Cluster F... It's Coming!
« Reply #1 on: November 1, 2007, 09:28 AM »
I went out the last two years and will more than likely head out again this year.  I mean come on, beating down a few soccer moms in order to possibly get a figure sculpted after you?!  Bring on the beat down!
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 1, 2007, 10:02 AM »
I'm pretty sure we'll be heading out this year.  We've gone the past few years, but usually hit only Target and get a fair amount of Christmas shopping done.  It is a huge pain and can be quite stressful, but there are good deals to be had.  Plus, with these battle packs being out, there is more reason to venture out.  I really doubt I'll be able to talk the Mrs. into letting me pick up both of these though, and will probably be lucky to get the Hoth one.  Hopefully these aren't impossible to get.

On a Black Friday side note - we stopped by Wal-Mart later in the morning last year (on the way home from Target) to pick up one of the Star Wars OT DVDs for our nephews (they were $9.72 or something) - and I can't imagine braving that crowd at the peak time.  The store was in absolute shambles (not that its all that neat normally either), but I can only imagine the crowd that was there - yikes.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 1, 2007, 10:14 AM »
I hate going out on Black Friday and can almost always avoid it. However, now that Target is practically telling the scalpers to buy up all the BPs all in one shot, I might have to brave it. >:(
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 1, 2007, 11:33 AM »
Geeze, the whole Target thing in my opinion at least, is about the lamest promotion I've ever seen.  How can something like this really be considered fan friendly? 

The idea of the "fan sculpt" is really a cheezy idea I think, unless a girl wins it - we need more female figures in the line.  I'm sure it will just be a head sculpt though, thrown onto the body of a Commtech Stormtrooper.  Lame.  Lucasfilm HQ is fun and all, but they should do something where 10 people get to go there, not just one.

Anyways, I might or might not go to Target that morning.  Not sure yet.  I do want the Hoth set, but this whole gimmick makes me not really want to even get that now. 

Hopefully the "one week only" will apply to the contest only and the Battle Packs will still be available after that.

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 1, 2007, 11:52 AM »
My collecting habits say that I should avoid Black Friday.  I don't need either of these new battle packs.  If they hit clearance, I'd be "forced" to consider them but even then, I should pass.

However, I've almost always gone out on Black Friday to buy something, somewhere. 

This year, it may be Michael's (lame huh?) but they've had a 25% off everything in your cart sale and its great for restocking on customizing and diorama making supplies.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 1, 2007, 11:55 AM »
This year, it may be Michael's (lame huh?) but they've had a 25% off everything in your cart sale and its great for restocking on customizing and diorama making supplies.

Sounds like as good a reason as any to head out that Friday morning to me Brent!   8)

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #7 on: November 1, 2007, 12:09 PM »
I wasnt planning on going out black friday but i guess i am now.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Smartypants1635

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Sith empire
« Reply #8 on: November 1, 2007, 05:08 PM »
Ahhh, only that weekend only. I can't afford wave 5-8 already.  :( Sucky

Adam

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #9 on: November 1, 2007, 10:29 PM »
Once again, it is proven that living in MN must rule...  :D

I pretty much go to Target every year on Black Friday.  We usually get there within 30min of opening, and we usually never have any trouble buying what we want.  Maybe it's the fact that there are so many Targets that folks are more spread out or something.  Anyway, I'll be there to buy my ultimate battle packs, my cheap DVDs, and whatever other goodies they use to tempt me.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Force Guy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 1, 2007, 10:56 PM »
I do want the Hoth set, but this whole gimmick makes me not really want to even get that now. 

Hopefully the "one week only" will apply to the contest only and the Battle Packs will still be available after that.

And

It makes sense for the contest to only be open to people who bought them during that one week, but not that the items would only be available for 7 days.  I mean, what are they going to do after 7 days if they haven't all sold?

The sky is falling...

No, I have no intentions of battling the crowds on Black Friday. 
Binders full of astromechs...

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 1, 2007, 10:59 PM »
I haven't bothered in several years.  The last time I went was the year that Toys R Us had the Lego UCS TIE Interceptor for $49.99

That seemed worth it to me.

$5.99 figures or a few dollars of this or that isn't enough to suck me into that mess.

That being said, I will check out the ads - there could always be a non-SW thing that would convince me to go.  I learned that most sale DVD's are available in the later morning / early afternoon though.

Offline JangoTat

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 1, 2007, 11:10 PM »
man this sucks. I really want those Ultimate BP but not living in the states and it being released on Black friday means i will most likly never see this set.
School has been on strike all month. so much for the summer job I was hoping to get D:

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 1, 2007, 11:52 PM »
OK.  Ignorant Canuck Question time.  When is Black Friday this year?

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 2, 2007, 12:19 AM »
Thanksgiving is November 22nd - it's always on a Thursday.  Black Friday is always the next day - so, the 23rd.