Author Topic: Clone Wars Preview Figure - Captain Rex  (Read 80758 times)

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
Re: Clone Wars Preview Figure - Captain Rex
« Reply #120 on: June 3, 2008, 05:23 PM »
How many Captain Rex figures have you all sent away for?

I have had hit and miss success with getting these kinds of figures to arrive in a MOC condition, so I'm probably going to send away for way more than I need with the hopes that at least one will arrive MOC.

So far I've sent in two, but I'm thinking about two more just to hedge my bets. And then I'll open one and then use the other two for trades.

If this figure had been done in realistic styling, I probably would have sent away for at least seven or eight of them by now.  :-\
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 3, 2008, 09:41 PM »
Couldn't agree more.  I sent in for four, which is more than I planned.  If this was the same styling as the basic figure line, I would have sent in for twice that.  :-\
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #122 on: June 4, 2008, 10:45 AM »
I sent for 4 and wasnt planning on it. I dontthink i will be sending away for any more.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #123 on: June 6, 2008, 01:54 AM »
Just in time for you guys to be talking about it...  :)

Clicky Thumbnails to View Full Pics!

Pretty slick looking and even I must admit the animated look is nice.  It's tempting, it's very true to its media...  I'm set in my resolve to not buy into animated stuff, but I'm glad I got Rex.  He'll make a nice desktop toy I think. 

And the clones come with an assload of hardware.  It's cool.  I wish movie Clones all had a rifle, a carbine, a small rocket launcher, maybe a grappling hook type weapon...  That'd be neat.  Extra rifles will have to do with some figures I guess, haha.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 6, 2008, 09:20 AM »
Personally, I think this is a character that is crying out for a head swap. I know that is how the character looks in the show but I really think it would look better with a regular clone head with white painted hair. Somehow I think the Crystal Skelleton is a better deal.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 6, 2008, 10:52 AM »
Agreed... Crystal Skull figure is a lot better... not only is it something NEW, but it's actually appealing...

Rex, on the other hand, is not... maybe it's the ridiculous head sculpt that kills it for me.

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 11, 2008, 09:50 AM »
I will be getting both but I don't know about Rex being worse than a skeleton that just sits on a throne?  I would think Rex would be the better "deal" since it has a bit more play action involved.   

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #127 on: June 11, 2008, 03:09 PM »
I gotta agree, I think Rex is better than what ammounts to a set piece.  A super articulated commando clone with removable helmet and a pile of weapons, or a skeleton that really is just like getting an Ark, but less cool...

I may not be into the animated stuff, but I do think that Rex is cooler on every level by comparison...  As toys go.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 12, 2008, 11:36 AM »
All Rex is, is essentially a paint variation of an existing figure.  Not too ground breaking.

The skeleton/skull is the central theme to the new Indy movie, and therefore is more relevent. 

In that context, it's a better deal, at least in my opinion.

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #129 on: June 12, 2008, 02:47 PM »
I think the skeleton is the cooler mailaway. I wish i could send for more.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #130 on: June 12, 2008, 03:01 PM »
It's looking at it from two points of view...  One where you're looking at it as something important from a movie, and one where you're looking at it as "which is the better toy".  The Skeleton is, by all means, a set piece...  It's like an accessory.  The Captain Rex is a seemingly important character in the upcoming CW cartoon, and someone involved in action/etc.

I think the skeleton's a keen mail-in thing, but like I say it's an accessory to me...  Rex on the other hand captures the point of a "toy", and will appeal to the market he's aimed at (kids) tremendously I think.  The skeleton's almost like a reward for buying toys, whereas Rex seems more like a thing to get you "pumped" about something that is coming up.

I still maintain that Rex is the superior toy overall...  The skeleton is like a bonus accessory, which I'm all for more of that in the line myself.  I just think from a toy/kid perspective, Rex would be more appealing.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 12, 2008, 04:23 PM »
My whole point is that Rex is already going to be available on a regular card, making the mailaway for a repainted version of him kind of weak.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #132 on: June 12, 2008, 05:03 PM »
Technically, that makes the basic figure the weak one...  But it ties to the whole point that Rex is hyping a toy, which is hyping a cartoon/movie, which is hyping up kids...

The Crystal Skeleton was more like a fan wank then.  It was available to mail in around the time of the film's release...  And was revealed only after the movie.  For hype factor, Rex is still the better choice I think as toys go...

Like I say, the Skeleton rocks as a set piece...  it's kind of like being told you could mail away for a stand of chalices from the Last Crusade, or the ark maybe from Raiders.  It's cool, but it's like a glorified accessory to another figure or something.

Rex is all about action, action figures, and building hype for a new toy line and a new movie/cartoon...  As toys go, Rex is pretty outstanding.  The collector in me digs the skeleton, but the toy fan in me appreciates Rex for what he is... And I'm not even collecting animated stuff.

Rex just reminds me of the cool stuff you could mail in for as a kid...  The skeleton, not so much.  It's more like the, "hey, I wanted that now that I'm 30 and it feels like my collection feels incomplete without it", crowd...  if that makes sense.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 12, 2008, 05:19 PM »
The collector and the kid in me is more interested in the skeleton.  Clones have been in abundance now since 2005.  Cool accessory pieces like the skeleton/throne have not.

But, that's just me.   :)

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #134 on: June 12, 2008, 07:01 PM »
I am trying to think back to when i was a kid and i know i would have preferred the skeleton over rex. We already have many clones but don't have any skeletons. I think that a kid would prefer something different.