Author Topic: Clone Wars Preview Figure - Captain Rex  (Read 80759 times)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Clone Wars Preview Figure - Captain Rex
« on: November 9, 2007, 02:43 PM »
OK, one of the things that popped up during the JD downtime was a SSG story on a possible preview figure for the 2008 Clone Wars line...

Thoughts?

Looks like you can buy any 4 Saga Legends figures or 30AC figures and use the UPCs... here's hoping it's something that is worth army building as I have a LOT of UPCs from the last 12 months.  ;)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2008, 10:14 PM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
Re: 2008 Clone Wars Preview Figure?
« Reply #1 on: November 9, 2007, 08:08 PM »
Man, I wish I saved the UPC's, although I'm sure I've still got a couple laying around, and many more to come.

As long as it's not 'Jar Jar Binks: Clone Wars Bombad General,' it won't hurt to order a couple of whatever this is. Hopefully it's a cool new army builder.
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2007, 08:39 AM »
Man, I wish I saved the UPC's, although I'm sure I've still got a couple laying around, and many more to come.

I feel the same way. Wish I would have kept the ones i had but i will have more. It doesnt mention any use of a sales receipt either?
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2007, 01:00 AM »
That's a pretty sweet deal, only 4 figures required.  I'm VERY curious to see what this turns out to be.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2007, 02:16 AM »
Yeah I'm hoping it's something really great like a figure, army builder of course being the ideal.  I'm figure it'll be a poster or something lame though...  The wording just has me worried, but a figure would be great.  I'm saving UPC's now though, that's for sure. :)  I didn't up till this point...  May as well though.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2007, 01:03 PM »
Based on what we've seen in the "trailer" for the cartoon series, and Hasbro's sneak preview figures traditionally being either semi-important background characters (Tion Medon, Zam Wessel), army builders (Episode II Clone, ROTS Wookiee), or characters we've already seen in one form or another (Jango, Grievous, R4-G9), I'm going to go out on a limb and say the "sneak" figure (if one actually occurs and it isn't a stupid poster instead) is two of those three.  Namely, I think it will be an ARC Trooper with exclusive decoration differences from the currently shipping Obi-Wan/ARC comic-two pack.

My reasoning for this:

1-It's easy to do.  Just do a couple of minor paint apps, take away the extensive battle damage of the comic two-pack version, and you have a relatively new figure.

2-It's an army builder, meaning Hasbro won't get stuck with a massive amount of backstock (GL in ST Disguise) that they have to get rid of elsewhere.  And even if they do, they can still put it in a Battle Pack or in another round of "Saga Legends" assortments.

3-It's a "new" character that is integral to the series.  Everyone will want one or more, and the visibility in the marketing campaign will make it even more desirable.

All this is just speculation on my part, but I think that out of all the characters we've seen thus far, the ARC Trooper makes the most sense.  They'll probably save an accurately-scaled Grievous and/or IG-100 series MagnaGuard for the basic figure assortment, and new versions of the main characters will probably go that way as well.  We're already seeing tons of AOTC-era Clone Troopers at retail currently, so those would be redundant.  The only other character I could see as a mailaway that wouldn't be unspectacular would be this new Togruta female character we keep hearing about, but then again, if she's so prominent in the series, making her an exclusive mailaway figure would be like shooting themselves in the foot.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2007, 10:05 AM »
With the way the UPCs have been packed this year, I haven't been saving them either, but I will be from here on out.  Hopefully it is indeed a mail away figure though - there's just something about sending off for a "free" figure, brings back memories of the vintage line.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2007, 11:44 AM »
Hmmm.  I'm thinking that the mail-away figure might be Alpha, the ARC Trooper.  Maybe I'm taking the image on the card too literally, but that looks like an ARC Trooper on that card and Alpha is also featured prominently in the trailer
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 4, 2007, 09:30 AM »
I guess I'll be on a package disposal moratorium until we find out what this is.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2007, 01:10 PM »
Looks like it is going to be a figure  ;D. Hasbro confirmed it over at the JI Q&A.

"JI:Recently a scan of a 2008 clone trooper figure redemption coupon showed up online. Can you tell us if there will be a 2008 mail-away figure and exactly what figure will it be?

Hasbro: We can confirm that this will indeed be a promotion for next year tied in to Clone Wars, but we are not at liberty yet to reveal more details on which figure will be available. We will reveal more details around Toy Fair. Stay tuned..."
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2007, 01:14 PM »
I have all of my packaging from the TAC and Saga Legends figures I've opened. So I'm not so much concerned about having all of the UPCs I need, I'm hoping that you don't need to include a receipt from the store where you bought the figures dated between X and Y date. That would stink.

Hopefully they are using the UPCs as a replacement for the silver tabs that the VTSC/VTAC figures came with - those promotions didn't require receipts.

We'll probably also have to include a check for $5 or so to cover shipping.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline MetalJedi

• Jedi Knight
  • The Risk Always Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 6, 2008, 12:50 PM »
I'm wondering if they'll show us this figure at Toy Fair?

edit: Over at scum they have a carded figure with the promotion on it. The send away figure is a character named Captain Rex.
« Last Edit: January 6, 2008, 01:07 PM by MetalJedi »
I remember my dream now.

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 6, 2008, 01:07 PM »
I'm wondering if they'll show us this figure at Toy Fair?

edit: Over at scum they have a carded figure with the promotion on it. A character named Captain Rex is named.

Any pics?

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline MetalJedi

• Jedi Knight
  • The Risk Always Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 6, 2008, 01:09 PM »
I remember my dream now.

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 6, 2008, 01:52 PM »
Captain Rex? The droid from Star Tours? Interesting...