Author Topic: Quick Computer Question  (Read 1396 times)

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
Quick Computer Question
« on: November 27, 2007, 06:47 PM »
I'm getting ready to unplug my computer so I can move it to another room before the guys come tomorrow to relocate my internet hookup.  Do I need to do anything special before I shut it down and unplug it, i.e., back anything up?  I'm pretty illiterate when it comes to this stuff and I knew you guys were the ones to help.  Thanks! :)
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
Re: Quick Computer Question
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2007, 07:23 PM »
You shouldn't have any problems just unplugging to move to a different room.

Having said that, however, doing backups of your important data is never a bad idea.  Especially if you haven't done it in a while.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2007, 07:26 PM »
I've never backed up any data myself :-[.  Occasionally when I shut down I get a little graphic that says says "Backing up Personal Data".  Is that sufficient?  Told you I was clueless about this...........
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2007, 07:48 PM »
That's just backing things up internally within the computer (saving your settings, I imagine).

To do a real backup, what you're looking for is an external source, which these days means an external hard drive. Used to be you could back up all your stuff on floppies or a few Zip disks, but space-wise those don't cut it anymore, especially if you have any quantity of music or video.

In that case all you really need to do is copy your files, documents, etc. over onto the other drive, via good-old-fashioned Control-C or rightclick-and-drag. There are ways to back up other settings and programs, but I rarely mess with those so you'd need someone tech-savvy to walk you through that.

But as long as you're just unplugging it and moving it, your biggest worry is dropping it. :)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 07:51 PM by Nathan »
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2007, 07:54 PM »
But as long as you're just unplugging it and moving it, your biggest worry is dropping it. :)

LOL -- I'll leave that up to the hubby. ;)  The only thing of real importance I have on there is pictures, and they've all been backed up to discs.  Thanks for the info!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2007, 08:08 PM »
I tend to put all music and pictures to CD, and that's my back-up Tracy...  If you can get an external HD like mentioned, it's ag ood idea.  I cannot afford much, so I tend not to bother...  I have regretted it in the past though...  I do make sure and save my favorites folder, my "My Folder" on my computer, and that's really about it.  Those are the two things witht he most data in them that I feel I cannot do without.  Everything else, if lost, can simply be reinstalled.

As far as moving it goes, simply shut your computer down the proper way (click "start", then "Turn off computer", blah blah blah), and it's on its way.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77