Author Topic: Post Episode III  (Read 2857 times)

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Post Episode III
« on: June 13, 2003, 01:06 PM »
Well seeing as how some WM don't carry figures in non movie years,whats gonna happen once EP.III is done?
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Post Episode III
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2003, 02:44 PM »
Wait for the next trilogy :)  

Seriously if there is no new trilogy or cartoon series or anything else then it's going to die and die hard.  

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2003, 04:00 PM »
 :'(

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2003, 03:38 PM »
Well seeing as how some WM don't carry figures in non movie years,whats gonna happen once EP.III is done?

Somebody else will pick up the slack, but only for awhile. Then George's big announcement about the third Trilogy will bring it back. *prays with passion this is true*
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2003, 03:40 PM »
Somebody else will pick up the slack, but only for awhile. Then George's big announcement about the third Trilogy will bring it back. *prays with passion this is true*

I'm hoping for the same thing!   8)
dustrho

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2003, 04:34 PM »
I have mixed feelings about the third trilogy, but I won't go into that in this thread.

Post EP3 retail will probably be a slow death for the line - assuming a third trilogy wont come. The fact is, the net is already the only real reliable source of figures, so whose to say after EP3 it won't be the ONLY source for figures? As bad as retail is right now, I have nothing but bad thoughts about the line after EP3.  :'(

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2003, 01:10 AM »
Well we can always count of the net.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2003, 04:27 PM »
If collectors have to rely on the web soley to get their figures, Hasbro will still be able to turn a profit.  Who knows, we might be able to order from them direct someday, or we might have to go through the Fan Club and pay outrageous prices...

...but I do think that if any retailer keeps a Star Wars section for a long time after EPIII, it will be TRU.  They might sign a contract with Hasbro to keep the product coming in to them as an exclusive retailer, which would be fine by me (at least it would be available somewhere at retail).

Truth be told though, the demand for Star Wars stuff is still very high, and I don't see collectors just calling it quits.  Remember, Hasbro has the rights to this stuff for 15 more years; they aren't going to totally discontinue it when they know there is still money to be made.

As for a 3rd trilogy, why the heck not?  If Lucas wants to do it, I say we support it and continue to live our lives being children in the bodies of adults. ;)

:P

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2003, 04:33 PM »
I don't think there will be so dramatic a drop off in interest after E3 that SW will just die at retail.  A lot depends on the fatigue and commitment of the collector base, which has been large enough to sustain the line after disatrous flame outs before.  SW would disappear between films at retail if not for this base; every other line does, and no other line has this staying power.

As for a third trilogy, I wouldn't mind it, but I can't imagine how Lucas would approach it.  One thing I'm sure of is that SW will not disappear without a trace.  Cartoons, TV shows, books, comics... it will survive.   ;D

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2003, 10:50 PM »
Well,if what you say is true about the fanbase,then I suppose we have nothing to worry about,however,I have a feeling that after 3-5 years alot of the fans will find something else.I say this because I doubt that they'll wait up to 20 years for the announcement,if it ever happens.

About a third trilogy,I wonder if it will take place in the post-NJO era?Since no plans have been made for books after The Unifiying Force(that is the last one right?)whats to say it won't invole Ben Skywalker fighting a new war? ;)I guy can dream can't he?

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2003, 11:01 PM »
For an example of what Star Wars collectors' interest in the hobby is like in non movie years, refer to 1995.   That was Star Wars madness.  And it still is.  At least, my interest is as high as it ever was.  Movie year or no movie year.  I still want to see all of the characters made that haven't been made yet from the original trilogy, and that's not even counting anything to do with the prequels.  My impression of Star Wars is that it has a superhuman fanbase.  Either these figures are selling out ultra fast these days, or the TRUs, WalMarts, KMarts, Targets, and KBs in my area just aren't getting any in.  I tend to think they just sell oul ultra quick.  What will happen after EIII?  Speaking for myself, my buying habits won't change a bit.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Jedirhino

• Jedi Initiate
  • The party's over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2003, 01:24 PM »
I believe Hasbro has rights until 2018? or 2013?  Anyhoo...Hasbro will make figures that SELL after EIII...I think that they definitely will ride a wave for 2-3 years following...but will make figures that sell from that point on...however, there are rumors of a TV series or someone else possibly continuing an episode VII-IX (most likely these are just rumors and nothing more)  However, that could ensure the line continuing well into the next decade...again I feel that they will continue as long as they see $$$$$ or we may see 100 Han and Luke and Vader figures

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2003, 11:43 AM »
The license runs through 2018.  So, there's plenty of time for Hasbro to take advantage.  I guess the big question is:  will they?

And with new rumors (I state again RUMORS) of a third trilogy, maybe there's a reason for the extension of that licensing.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback